mhein68

cowboy cuffs and spur straps sizing

Hi all.. Can anyone explain how to fit custom spur straps and cowboy cuffs? I can find a ton of free patterns on the web, but none show fitting explanation… I found formula .. I tried it and came out smaller then a child size.. This was using my sizing? I’m not looking for pattern or template.. Just an explanation on sizing.. Thanks

20240730_220348.jpg

I can't help with the spurs but on cuffs, I use a spare arm which I have. 

I cut a piece of paper roughly to size, wrap it around the arm and mark it for cutting for a neater fit. That is then transferred to a piece of light card. That is tried on the arm to see if it fits well, if so I write on it what it is and to use it only on the flesh side of the leather, for if used on the grain side it will make the cuff smaller

Cuffs I don’t know. Spur straps you’ll need to measure from stud to stud across the bridge of the foot for a true custom strap.  No kidding I know.  Most patterns for straps are universal fit wise.  The youth pattern I built for my 9 year old are in the middle hole.  The adult pattern I made for my 6 year old is the last hole. They fit about the same. But… they are different styles.  The dove wing style I made for me are in the first hole while the bib type they replaced were in the middle hole.  So that is my long way of saying unless someone has an exceptionally large or small foot standard patterns will work. Focus on the tooling for the custom spur straps.

1 hour ago, mhein68 said:

Hi all.. Can anyone explain how to fit custom spur straps and cowboy cuffs? I can find a ton of free patterns on the web, but none show fitting explanation… I found formula .. I tried it and came out smaller then a child size.. This was using my sizing? I’m not looking for pattern or template.. Just an explanation on sizing.. Thanks

20240730_220348.jpg

My best guess is that you accidentally used the diameter of your arm instead of the circumference.
That would give a cuff about 3 times smaller than what you would need.

You need to use either a tailors type (soft) measuring tape, or a piece of string to measure around your arm. And remember to measure outside on any shirt etc. that you want to wear under the cuffs.

I just tried to see what my measurements are: And with bare forearms mine are something like 8" for the fwd part, 10.5" for the upper part, and the length is something like 5".
The picture / diagram in your book sort of gives the wrong impression size wise. You need a fairly large piece of paper to be able to draw the pattern. 

Good luck,
brgds Jonas

For a spur, I'd check dimensions on my boots.  I'd place the spur on my boot, and use a tailor's tape measure to verify the distances from post to post.  (I actually plan to make some spur straps, maybe this fall, and will have to work that out.)   

14 hours ago, mhein68 said:

20240730_220348.jpg

If I understand the instructions and the pictures right, the picture is half a pattern.  I think if you double it, you'll have your pattern.  I'm pretty sure the circumference of my wrist and forearm wouldn't fit on a 8.5" x 11" page.  JM2C, Jim

Edited by jrdunn
Clarification

19 hours ago, fredk said:

I can't help with the spurs but on cuffs, I use a spare arm which I have. 

:lol::lol: Is that an Irish thing? It's often said that some Tasmanians have two heads.:lol:

1 hour ago, dikman said:

:lol::lol: Is that an Irish thing? It's often said that some Tasmanians have two heads.:lol:

;):lol: I have two spare arms and extra hands. Its said the English have tails