Nowandagain

Brown dye from household materials

Any suggestions for dying veg tan brown or burgundy using household materials? Leather dyes are hard to find where I live (Amazon won’t ship them here), and I want to avoid exposure to VOCs for health reasons. Haven’t found neatsfoot oil here, either  

Coffee comes out much too light, no matter how strong I brew it, how long I leave it, or how many coats I use. Adding ketchup to the coffee helps, but not enough. 

One website claims you can use pomegranate juice. They were wrong. 

Has anyone tried diluting vinegaroon (I’ve never used it) with coffee? Or adding steel wool to strong coffee?

Any luck with strong tea?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Nowandagain

Something I heard of, but never experimented with is using walnuts shells or pecan shells.   I found this youtube video of a guy talking about his process:   

I had seen this but I have no source for walnut skins, only shells.

Hi, I live in Oklahoma, and there is a pecan orchard a few miles from home.  I purchased a 25 or 50 pound bag of Pecan Hulls, a lingerie bag to boil them in, and now I have a dark brown dye.  Walnut hulls also work very well.  If you want DARK brown, almost black leather, use dark roast coffee that's been reduced by about half.  It is HELPFUL to make some trial leather pieces to see how long to soak the leather in the dye. 

Later