What's our favourite glue that stays fluid even after infrequent use?

UHU, in the tube

or Copydex

Edited by fredk

2 hours ago, fredk said:

UHU, in the tube

or Copydex

That's cheating Fred. I must say it's easy to use from a tube but I was thinking more of a pouring version. I normally buy from my leather place who pour it into jam/coffee jars and it's good stuff but I find I'm having to "liven" it up every now and then with solvent. I use one of these which makes it last longer.

Plastic Leather Craft Non-Spill Glue Pot Cement Keeper Anti Evaporation 1L 1.5L | eBay

I keep meaning to ask Cechaflo what he uses because it always seems so nice to use.

I use Screwfix' own contact adhesive. I buy it in 1 litre tins. Every time I use it or pour out /decant some I pour in a little Evostick cleaner (thinners). I use cleaned out B&Q 250 ml contact adhesive tins for decanting into. They have have tight fitting lids which stops evaporation

I guess I'm the odd duck out! I use Weldwood contact adhesive. 

Good stuff, but stinks the shop up. I believe it can be thinned with acetone.

If you buy the UHU tubes in Home Bargains or PoundLand they work out only slightly dearer than a 250 or 500 ml tin of other contact adhesive and the extra cost is off-set by no loss due to the glue hardening up before its used up. Also, its easy to apply and needs no clean up of tools

1 hour ago, fredk said:

If you buy the UHU tubes in Home Bargains or PoundLand they work out only slightly dearer than a 250 or 500 ml tin of other contact adhesive and the extra cost is off-set by no loss due to the glue hardening up before its used up. Also, its easy to apply and needs no clean up of tools

I agree it's easier from a tube but for smaller jobs I'm reaching for the basting/double sided tape more and more. It's even less messy and quick. You don't have to wait for "tacky".

I found a bit of Cechaflo @ 9.52 mins.

Binding a floor mat - Car upholstery (youtube.com)

Another weldwood guy . . .  peanut butter jar . . . if you keep it 75% full it stays better longer.

White kids glue or any carpenter glue is also good . . . just takes too long to set up for my processes.

May God bless,

Dwight

I fear that I am the only one that uses barges contact cement. I do remove it from the container and put it in a glue pot. If it starts to get a little bit too thick I'll hit it with some acetone to thin it out. It will last as long as the glue does. Weldwood works extremely well and is actually a lot thinner than barges. However I just can't get used to the smell.

Like the Good Rev. Dwight, I'm a devotee of Weldwood (Red Can Original). I've also used TiteBond II/III wood glue in a pinch simply because I keep it on-hand for other things in my shop...it works well too and allows for a bit of adjustability but, as Dwight mentioned, the "setup" is longer...likely due to the application differences between the two types of glue. 

As for keeping my Weldwood workable, I try not to let my glue pot get too low (keep it filled and well-stirred when I'm not actively working on projects) or sitting out in my work shop when it's too hot/cold (that space isn't climate controlled so some chemicals are brought inside to a space where they can be kept more stable, temperature-wise, yet isolated from human-kind).

20 hours ago, toxo said:

I agree it's easier from a tube but for smaller jobs I'm reaching for the basting/double sided tape more and more. It's even less messy and quick. You don't have to wait for "tacky".

I don't wait for it to go 'tacky'. I put a bead of glue on one surface, on the two if I'm feeling generous, then I clamp it up tight and check for glue squished out. In some case I want that, not too much, just little. Later I trim the edge

Unfortunately neither Barge nor Weldwood are, afaik, available in the UK so their suggestions are not much use the OP

I buy Weldwood a gallon at a time.  

Go home and split it up into 16 oz bottles I have saved.  Drill a hole close to the top on both sides, just under the lid.  Keep the lid on.  Use one of the holes to pour into the 16 oz bottles.  The other holes lets it breathe.  

The 16 oz bottles stay just fine if you don't open them.  The working 16 oz bottle only gets opened to fill the 2 oz bottle.  

I use a 2 oz squeeze bottle as my working bottle.  That bottle gets topped off out of the working 16 oz bottle every time it's used.  

I buy a gallon every 6-8 months and never have to throw any away expect what I can't get out of the gallon, or the last dribbles out of the 16 oz that start making a mess trying to pour out.  And when I can I just pour that straight on a project to glue.  

The 2 oz squeeze bottle and a make up spatula are great for gluing up my holsters.  

I use the Renia Aquilim 315 contact cement for most of my projects. I find that used properly that cement (even though it is water based) is more than capable of holding pieces together permanently and it is odor free. I keep it in a small glass jar like this: https://www.amazon.com/Glass-Jars-Airtight-Lids-Containers/dp/B0B28VPQCY/ref=asc_df_B0B28VPQCY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=693308330878&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13492168966742687813&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026824&hvtargid=pla-1688263194671&psc=1&mcid=cc64f8c09e9337fcbc46290d2ca1cf7c

That little jar keeps the cement liquid. I've had a jar of it I have not used for ~3 months in the garage, in the Texas heat and it is still liquid.  I had surgery on my shoulder so have not been able to work on projects last few months.

Having said that, I do keep a small can of Weldwood for when I have a project that requires a larger bond area (liner glued to larger piece), and/or the project will be exposed to elements.

I have made wallets and notebook/bible covers lined using the Renia cement and have had no issues reported.

Edited by sparctek

5 hours ago, chiefjason said:

I buy Weldwood a gallon at a time.  

Go home and split it up into 16 oz bottles I have saved.  Drill a hole close to the top on both sides, just under the lid.  Keep the lid on.  Use one of the holes to pour into the 16 oz bottles.  The other holes lets it breathe.  

The 16 oz bottles stay just fine if you don't open them.  The working 16 oz bottle only gets opened to fill the 2 oz bottle.  

I use a 2 oz squeeze bottle as my working bottle.  That bottle gets topped off out of the working 16 oz bottle every time it's used.  

I buy a gallon every 6-8 months and never have to throw any away expect what I can't get out of the gallon, or the last dribbles out of the 16 oz that start making a mess trying to pour out.  And when I can I just pour that straight on a project to glue.  

The 2 oz squeeze bottle and a make up spatula are great for gluing up my holsters.  

Okay...now I'm curious. By "16 oz bottles I have saved", I'm guessing you mean regular ol' plastic water bottles (Desani, Aquafina, DeerPark, etc). The 2oz squeeze bottles can be either the red cap top variety or metal needle version?

I've seen Don Gonzales' video about adhesives, etc...he punches holes in his Weldwood lid to fill his working grungy-looking glue reservoir, then uses small bits of leather to cap over the holes (secured by the contact cement itself)...easy to remove later and doesn't require taking off the lid or leak AND allows him to fill smaller containers in similar fashion to the way you are talking about here.  

Always looking to glean knowledge where I can...also follow your work on the FB...excellent craftsmanship, Sir! Any further info you can share is always appreciated!

Edited by Double Daddy

3 hours ago, Double Daddy said:

Okay...now I'm curious. By "16 oz bottles I have saved", I'm guessing you mean regular ol' plastic water bottles (Desani, Aquafina, DeerPark, etc). The 2oz squeeze bottles can be either the red cap top variety or metal needle version?

I've seen Don Gonzales' video about adhesives, etc...he punches holes in his Weldwood lid to fill his working grungy-looking glue reservoir, then uses small bits of leather to cap over the holes (secured by the contact cement itself)...easy to remove later and doesn't require taking off the lid or leak AND allows him to fill smaller containers in similar fashion to the way you are talking about here.  

Always looking to glean knowledge where I can...also follow your work on the FB...excellent craftsmanship, Sir! Any further info you can share is always appreciated!

Anything thicker than a water bottle.  Like a sports drink bottle.  Most of mine are Body Armour bottles.  

These are the 2 oz bottles.  I started using 4 oz but the bottom would start to firm up and go bad.  I use enough of the 2 oz bottle that re filling it seems to refresh it as well.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083JZJKBF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 9/6/2024 at 1:36 PM, chiefjason said:

Anything thicker than a water bottle.  Like a sports drink bottle.  Most of mine are Body Armour bottles.  

These are the 2 oz bottles.  I started using 4 oz but the bottom would start to firm up and go bad.  I use enough of the 2 oz bottle that re filling it seems to refresh it as well.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083JZJKBF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you, Sir! The MUCH thicker sport drink bottles didn't even cross my mind. Appreciate the link as well!