I know it is a leather crafting axiom that no leather scraps are useless, but has anyone figured out how to use those little plugs of leather from a hole punch?

With the big hole punches like 1/2" & bigger, the punch outs can be used under Sam Browne buttons. Well I guess all buttons in particular that have too long of shank. Or you what some reinforcement behind a button. 

There is other uses. I think Chuck Dorsett has a video on it. 

I use ones of about 4 to 8 mm on the bottoms of game playing pieces.

Larger ones, minimum of 10 mm, and upwards can be used as the playing pieces in the game Checkers or Backgammon.

Smaller ones can also be used as the playing pieces in Solitaire or Chinese Checkers.

Big ones can be used to cover certain round fittings on the insides of things; such as the screw head on a Sam Browne stud can be covered so it wont scratch anything

Sew them into a square pouch and use it as a light weight sandbag. Hold down tracings, prop up edges, etc.

The tiny ones from small punches and rotary punches are used to fall and roll into tiny crevices and remain there until the house is renovated by the next owners, who will invariably scratch their heads and wonder WTH they are and why were they put there, giving a great laugh to our ghosts.

The bigger ones can be used to make spacers, decorative scallops etc.  And game pieces, as mentioned above.

The bigger ones can be glued together and used as feet on the bottom of bags or small boxes/trays.

They also can be used on cabinet doors. For a drawer/door damper.

I feed my conure fresh fruit by skewering them on a metal rod with a metal disc to hold it in place. The disc can be screwed in place but my conure has learnt how to unscrew that and is always dropping it and the fruit. So now, after screwing on the metal disc, I screw on one of those leather plugs. I wet it first and punch a slightly smaller hole and force it in place.  That has defeated her up to now. 

Edited by SUP

43 minutes ago, toxo said:

The bigger ones can be glued together and used as feet on the bottom of bags or small boxes/trays.

or under ornaments as pads to keep from scratching furniture

or;  put an assortment of sizes in self-sealing plastic bags and sold to (women) scrap-bookers or greetings card makers, and let them think of how to use them

1 minute ago, SUP said:

I feed my conure fresh fruit  . . . 

I just had to google that to find out what it is. Very Nice!

every day is a learning day

7 hours ago, fredk said:

Very Nice!

Yes. She is very nice, and surprisingly smart. They are not particularly known to be, but this one is. 

She must be very smart; she chose to live with you!

On 9/13/2024 at 3:55 AM, CreativeName said:

but has anyone figured out how to use those little plugs of leather from a hole punch?

If you have the time, and patience, you could put holes in the centre and string them together to make a nice necklace? 

I have found a way of using some scraps, I use 20-25mm hole punch on veg tan scraps,  stamp a very simple single stamp, like a flower or whatever, colour them, put a small split ring on them  and I sell them for about $2 bucks each. I have to make some more now  cos I nearly sold out. Kids can buy them with their pocket money , or some peeps like to hang them on their bags etc. as decorations. 

HS

I’ve used them as leather washers or spacers.  Also if you ever need to put a rivet in a holster, I’ll take a hole punch and glue it over the top to keep from potentially scratching the firearm.  

On 9/13/2024 at 2:37 AM, TomG said:

Sew them into a square pouch and use it as a light weight sandbag. Hold down tracings, prop up edges, etc.

I had thoughts of you sewing lots of wee discs together to make a pouch,   :o 

Then I wised up and realised,   :Lighten:  sew them up inside a pouch  :rolleyes:

:lol:

Someone should make an air gun or pop gun or even an indoor catapult and use use them as ammo.