Workinman

Sheepskin Lining

I want to make a rifle holder (?) for my daughter as a Christmas gift.  I have a beautiful leather hide, but want to line the inside with sheepskin.  My question is - what kind of sheepskin do I look for ?

Thank You !!

I have made many rifle cases using synthetic sheep skin from tandy and Springfield leather and they are very nice and they are holding up like the day I sent them to my customers and no complaints.

Beiler's has veg tanned sheep skins in golden and cream colors, and different sizes.  The wool is about 3/4" long and I've been pleased with the quality.  If you're new to hand sewing shearling, be sure to burnish the wax by drawing the thread through some heavy brown wrapping paper to smooth and remove excess wax.  Otherwise the wool will stick to the thread and get pulled through the holes in your leather.

Thank you PurpleFox & TomE !!  So, when I went to my local Tandy store (not super helpful) they had mainly sheepskin rugs.  Would those work, or should I ask for some other type of sheepskin product ?  As you can tell, I'm a newbee ?!?!

It really depends on what you want. Springfield leather sells the synthetic sheep skin in half yard and that is enough for a rifle case. You can get it in 3/4 inch and inch and a half. Like I said earlier I am very happy with it.

If it were me I'd be looking for Golden Sheerling. The same stuff saddle makers put on the under side of saddles. If you have a saddle shop nearby you may go ask if they can tell you of a good source. But be very cautious doing this, as saddle makers especially older saddle makers are not always known for being helpful. It's kind of an old timer thing... They dont always like sharing thier secrets.

I think this is golden shearling. That Cattleman & Mablung is referring to. 

Screenshot_20241013_000741_Chrome.jpg

12 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Yep that would be the stuff.

For reference, I paid $90.38 for a 12 foot long cream colored sheepskin ordered this summer from Beiler's Manufacturing and Supply.  They have golden and cream colors in different sizes.

DSC_1869.thumb.jpg.e727b0411bc6ff5b0dce3e344a14e16a.jpg

DSC_1865.jpg

50 minutes ago, dikman said:

12 foot long? That's a big sheep!

Right you are!  12 square feet.

Thank You everyone !!!  I now know what to buy !!!  I really appreciate your help !!

22 hours ago, TomE said:

For reference, I paid $90.38 for a 12 foot long cream colored sheepskin ordered this summer from Beiler's Manufacturing and Supply.  They have golden and cream colors in different sizes.

DSC_1869.thumb.jpg.e727b0411bc6ff5b0dce3e344a14e16a.jpg

DSC_1865.jpg

Do they have a website for the leather side of things?  All I can find is hydraulics, etc.

On 10/13/2024 at 1:10 AM, DieselTech said:

Hmm. I wonder how that compares to this item from a local supplier, Glacier Wear.  1/4" vs 7/8", so a big difference there. But a quarter of the price per square foot.  I can't imagine it making a difference for things like holster lining, but then I've never had a lined holster.

Screenshot from 2024-10-14 16-35-51.png

I bought a yard of the Tandy artificial sheep skin, I haven't gotten to use it yet but it seems like it will work well and the nice part is, its a nice rectangle shape so there should be minimal waste.

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

Do they have a website for the leather side of things?  All I can find is hydraulics, etc.

NO.   

16 hours ago, Herbie said:

Beiler's Manufacturing and Supply in Ronks PA is an Amish company without a website.  Call them at 717-768-0174 for a catalog.  

3 hours ago, TomE said:

Beiler's Manufacturing and Supply in Ronks PA is an Amish company without a website.  Call them at 717-768-0174 for a catalog.  

Thank you, Tom. I will do that.