AaronStand

Bobbin Shim for #280/#300 Needles

205-370

I found this question in a post from years ago but no definitive answer was provided in the post. I'm running at least a #280/28 needle, potentially a #300/29 if I can confirm compatibility tomorrow, does anyone know where the heck I can find a bobbin shim above the 250 that Weaver supplies? My last resort is picking up two 160's and have them machined down to 1.4mm each to get the 2.8mm spacing I need but I'm hoping someone might know a place that I've yet to run across...?

Any other feedback on running above #250 on the 205? Like any potential issues I may run into? I'm looking at a 415/tex 410 top stitch with a 346/tex 350 lower stitch.

Edited by AaronStand

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a bobbin shim?

Oh not at all, I'm just learning the anatomy and operation of the 205 myself so I may call some things the technically incorrect term. I've seen some call it the bobbin shim and others say the shuttle/hook shim which I think is more correct. I just watched this video today which shed a lot of information on the operation and setup of the 205. Here's the link, the first portion of the video covers the shim in question.

https://youtu.be/ERgFQjsVG3s?si=K2xKoHWOlGwK4jBb

Weaver Shims

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/products/replacement-shims-for-205-sewing-machine?srsltid=AfmBOooHswXvUnHtVd4sn5YOmRR4JwzdVTJvkl3OWnVqfHv5sI8DhvPH

Edited by AaronStand

Did you try to combine two smaller shims to get the right size (or a little wider)?

Well, two of the 160s will give me 3.20mm. I'm just going to shave down a 160 to 120(1.20mm) and combine it with another 160. Seems like no 280 single shims exist.