Sign in to follow this  
Don101

reproduction J.S.Collins Holster

This is what i make this is a reproduction J.S.Collins Holster

T.jpg

this is a reroduction scabbard for my winchester, F.A.Meanea

F.jpg

Edited by Don101

That's absolutely fantastic work, Don. Thanks for sharing, and please be sure to post images of future projects. We always like to look at quality leatherwork!

:thumbsup:

Very nice and welcome aboard! We are all in this together and the more we have here the more we can learn from each other! We all have our strong and weak points. My weakness is on the constuction side and my strong point is probably my tooling although that to could use some improvment. Not knowing how to do something doesn't make me dumb it just means I'm uneducated in that department and this is a great place to learn. I really like the nice clean look of your work. Are those hand sewn or machine ? Either way they are very nice!

thanks for the kind words and yes Dan it is hand stitching

Hey Don,

That holster is beautiful!...I don't think I've ever seen a better one. Share some more of your work if you would.

Dave Theobald

OK David here is some more stuff i have done over the years some not so good ill explain a little about the work and the piece aswell

this is a coppy of an original holster that i owned in my collection, it was made around the turn of the century and embossed stamped although this type were also carved by hand and probabbly sold by some lage store costing only a couple of dollars, i dont have the embossed stamp so i decided to carve the holster, the leather is about 3.5 mm thick and hand stitched with a yellow hanf thread (they didnt have nylon back then) it is dyed with fibings saddle tan and lightly oiled

DON7.jpg

this one everyone knows from the cover off Packing Iron (great book if you dont have it get it) again hand carved hand stiched also dyed with fibings and antiqued, and left handed originally made by the saddlery F.A.Meanea

F-1.jpg

this is a typical texas style holster based on the H. Keller saddlery 1880s verry simple desighn and not to fancy, again 3.5mm leather fibings dye and hand stiching

KopievonKeller.jpg

This one is styled on the early slim jim, it was a special order for a pocket revolver and the customer wanted it in the style of Main and Wincheter Saddlery so i had to make the border tool myself from a large bolt i spent more time grinding and filing that stamp than i needed to make the holster LOL

Pocket.jpg

This is a set of saddle pockets which were copied from an original set of F.A.Meanea pockets and just generally antiqued up a bit on the buckles and rivits

S.jpg

Holy Cow......

The talent and knowledge we have on this site is a national treasure! Don that is some amazing work.

Thank you so much for sharing it..... geeze do I ever feel inept after looking at this!

Dave Theobald

David your making me blush, thanks glad you liked it ive been admiring your chopper saddles a friend at work has a honda dragstar and he wants me to make a custome seat im going to be like a fish out of water because its new teritory for me and looking at your stuff i hope i can get it half as good as yours, you make some fine saddles so ill probably be geting back to you with about a hundred questions if you dont mind.Don

David your making me blush, thanks glad you liked it ive been admiring your chopper saddles a friend at work has a honda dragstar and he wants me to make a custome seat im going to be like a fish out of water because its new teritory for me and looking at your stuff i hope i can get it half as good as yours, you make some fine saddles so ill probably be geting back to you with about a hundred questions if you dont mind.Don

MMM.... I'll teach you bike seats....you teach me holsters....?? now THAT'S a deal!

Where are you located Don? Cincinnati, Ohio here. Oops....I just saw, you are in Germany.....

Guess we won't be meeting face to face for these lessons.....ha ha

Dave Theobald

Edited by David

great looking stuff Don!!

your stiching looks great!

along with david, i can help you out on the cycle seat side also

Thank you ill probbably will need help when i start that prodject

Wow!

Outstanding work Don. This is the kind of art that caught my eye when I first found this forum. I am a little partial to gunleather, and I know some cowboy action shooters that would sell their children for this kind of work. Bravo

Steve

Beautiful work, Don. I can sit and stare at these all afternoon!

Glad to know another fan of "Packing Iron". Great book.

- Jim

Thanks everyone for your kind coments and for making me feel welcome

Neat holsters there, Don. . . :thumbsup: I like the soft shine of the finish. What do you use to get that look?

L'Bum

Edited by Leather Bum

nothing really when the piece is finished i give it a light oil and buff it with a soft rag just to polish it up a bit

WHOOO HOOO Daddy likes. Your giving me G.A.S> (gear acquisition syndrom)

LOL, thanks i take it you like them then