LuisPaulo

Australian Strander

For David Morris is that Dean Williams from R Ms I'd like to catch up with him if I can.

Kindest regard. Jim.

Jim

Yes that is RM's son, he is somewhere in South East Queensland, I'll PM you his phone number

regards

dam

PS. Hows things goin with the SHMAA?

I HATE when people steal my ideas before me! Now how am I going to get rich? Where do I find this Bianchi cutter so I can see if he did it right?

BTW Dean Williams sells a very nice strander, a bit more complicated but heaps more versatile than the RM strander. I got one a couple of years ago. It was only about $100 and that included a complete set of instructions on making a kangaroo hide stock whip. This strander is realy good for doing tapered strands and also caters better for variations in thickness of the the hide and you can also take it off of the strand at any point and putt it back on without threading all the way out tto the end of the strand. Up till then I spent most of my life using the thumbnail method when ever I wanted tapered strands or mutliple strand cut together at one-time.

if any one is interested I'll get a photo of Dean Williams's whip cutter's strander onto here.

regards

dam

I bought one of Dean's stranders a number of years back - when they were $50.00 but I wouldn't take 3 times that much for it. And the best thing about it - he made them in right or left hand models. It is just the ticket for cutting overlay sets for whips. Cut a length at one width for all the strands, and then change the width for proper taper. And you can start and stop anywhere as stated above. Uses #11 scalpel blades and cuts like a dream. I actually gave my Aussie strander away after I got this one.

I used one to cut the strands for my whip. I started them at 5mm and then went to 6mm then to 7mm. I would cut about 3 ft. then adjust the cutter to the next level. It worked pretty good. But as far as using it on my left thumb, it didnt happen. I trouble with that method so i used it on my right index finger.It worked ok. You just have to go "slow"

Tom

IMG_0006.JPG

post-6291-1214952679_thumb.jpg

Wow, talk about a bunch of information!!!!! I cut all my lace, leather and rawhide with the Aussie strander. My rawhide instructor, Mary Fields, (in the Bruce Grant books) always used a draw gauge.

Anyway, I use the strander on my right middle finger. I have my index finger under to help support it and to help control the speed at which I pull. I have a tendancy to try to go too fast.

I think the important thing is to practice and find a method that works. I don't believe there is a right or wrong way to cut lace just a way that works for each person. I believe it is important to get other opinions and listen to ideas. I take what iI learn form others, adjust them to the way I do things and move on. I also try to learn from others mistakes so I don't have to make them.

Hope all is well with everyone and I do enjoy reading and learning from all of you. I just don't know where to find the time to spend more time here to read and post.

Via con Dios,

Joe

I think those that are cutting leather excusively will have a different experience than those that cut rawhide since moisture content is not a factor. I have the strander (rt. index finger) and a draw guage and I use them to cut strip. I then use the Hansen cutter to make lace or strands with rawhide. Moisture content and sharpness are the keys. And Joe, you're using the wrong 'via' (by way of) the correct one is 'vaya' (go) as in....

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

It's your own concious that is there to remind you that its your heart and nobody elses that is gonna judge!
Bob Marley - Pass It On

Thank you. My Spanish is pretty rusty. Not much use for it here in Central Montana.

Joe

I think those that are cutting leather excusively will have a different experience than those that cut rawhide since moisture content is not a factor. I have the strander (rt. index finger) and a draw guage and I use them to cut strip. I then use the Hansen cutter to make lace or strands with rawhide. Moisture content and sharpness are the keys. And Joe, you're using the wrong 'via' (by way of) the correct one is 'vaya' (go) as in....

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Bob Marley - Pass It On

I know it will work. I see it in my head, clearly. I just am not a manufacturer. I am an idea man.

I also know that I hate strap guages...alot. I will lay a steel ruler down and cut by hand to avoid that frustration.

i'm assuming the strap guage is the wooden tandy pull type with the razor blade.i've turn;d the guage blade around n made a pusher out of it ala plow guage type a li'l practise needed adios peter john