TomSwede

Drag racing bike seat

So here it is!!

I'm not particurarily satisfied with it but the tooling came out allright.

Having probs finding time I had to stress it together so construction is not what I would have liked it to be. Had to skip stitching and use rivets to be able to meet with the deadline.

The work involved was alot mote than I thought it'd be when I draw up the patterns for it.

Too tired too writ more spcific on it but will do that later!!

Have a laugh;-)

Tom

IMG_9075_01.jpg

IMG_9077_01.jpg

IMG_9079_01.jpg

IMG_9081_01.jpg

IMG_9075_01.jpg

IMG_9077_01.jpg

IMG_9079_01.jpg

IMG_9081_01.jpg

post-5146-1243550873_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1243550918_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1243550937_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1243550946_thumb.jpg

The tooling did turn out great, Tom, nice work! Question: how is it going to be attached to the bike?

Kate

I think they will rivet it to the main body (funnybike). Thats why I have left the sides like flaps so the can go under there with rivets, bolts, velcro or whaterver they wanna use.

Gunna see if I have a pic showing the sides and edges better tomorrow.

Thanks Kate!!

Tom

Good job, Tom. When I first saw that pan, I wondered how you were going to deal with that boxy shape in the back. Turned out very nice.

i think ya done good tommy boy!!...i mean hell bro, with all things considered, first seat, goofy @ss one at that & the deadline/time etc...it looks damn good man...and even better when its on the bike...make sure to get a pic if ya can of it installed...

time for a few shots of the good whiskey after that mountain ya climbed :cheers:

darryl

Very cool man , I dig the skull.

Chain

Looks like you got it worked out pretty good. Nice job on the whole thing ecspecially for so short rush order.

THAT is an awesome skull! I'm a biker that thinks skulls and flames are just plain overdone, but some of the work I've seen here is swaying my not so humble opinions ;0) :You_Rock_Emoticon:

THAT is an awesome skull! I'm a biker that thinks skulls and flames are just plain overdone, but some of the work I've seen here is swaying my not so humble opinions ;0) :You_Rock_Emoticon:

+1 I am VERY picky about skulls & damn dude, that one is impressive! Great job.

tom\\

awesome damned tooling!!!!

It looks like you built a saddle! Cool job.

What I am amazed at, is the small lettering. That looks great.

Good job, Tom. When I first saw that pan, I wondered how you were going to deal with that boxy shape in the back. Turned out very nice.

Thanks Ian!! Yeah that was my first thought too so I built that box for it. The box is laced with the simplified mexican roundbraid at the top corners.

i think ya done good tommy boy!!...i mean hell bro, with all things considered, first seat, goofy @ss one at that & the deadline/time etc...it looks damn good man...and even better when its on the bike...make sure to get a pic if ya can of it installed...

time for a few shots of the good whiskey after that mountain ya climbed :cheers:

darryl

Thanks brother Darryl!!

Gonna text a friend who is a pro photographer right now. He is taking pics of the races today.

Did go to a neighbour and party yesterday, he he almost got into a fight;-)

Very cool man , I dig the skull.

Chain

Thanks Chain!!

For a black on black design I think this skull worked very well.

Tom

Looks like you got it worked out pretty good. Nice job on the whole thing ecspecially for so short rush order.

Thanks Madmax!!

There are things I'd liked to done better with it but with that pan + I couldnt put anything underneath the pan so I could build it the traditional way was just very hard to figure out so there is alot of compromise in it.

Now that it is installed to the bike I'm gonna look over it and see if I can make adjustments and fixes after season i over. I left some space so I can put a decorative lacing to the edges.

They used four bolts underneath the sideflaps so once I know where those are seated I can take that into account. Right now the edge of the ugly glassfiberpan is showing if ou just lift the flaps a little. I also like to work/rework the joint where the leathers meet. It look like a pair of elephant ears there right now;-)

At least it passed tech/safety inspection yesterday at the race.

The bike is currently listed as number1 at the qualification heats.

Thanks McJeep!!!

I got help from my girlfriend to pickout and set the graphical designs and we both agree with your thought on skulls and flames so we looked for a design with the grimreaper holding raceflags and then she found this skull and was just awwed by it. It took some convincing to make me think I could tool it properly;-) the original picture is very detailed and awesome so I scaled down on details and redraw some things to make it fit and work with a black on black colouring.

This is the first time I really use the pearshader and I think that it was the best way to go. I got some choppy impressions since there was alot of friction and hard to walk it properly on the leather but I managed to smooth it out pretty well with the modeling tool.

+1 I am VERY picky about skulls & damn dude, that one is impressive! Great job.

Thanks alot Bryan!!

Tom

tom\\

awesome damned tooling!!!!

Thank you Ganonymous!!!

It looks like you built a saddle! Cool job.

What I am amazed at, is the small lettering. That looks great.

Thanks rdb!!

I've looked at saddles for inspiration so that is the ground idea I've worked after instead of the traditional cover from beneath the pan and lace/sew at edges.

I was going to stitch the main skull piece but had to ditch it due to the lack of time so I just bolted it with rivets instead.

Heres some aditional shots of the motifs and the skull on naked leather.

Tom

Tom

aIMG_8685_01.jpg

aIMG_9061_01.jpg

post-5146-1243679558_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1243679571_thumb.jpg

El supero, Tom! Don't sweat not having enough time to lace, I LOVE rivets. Did you tell the customer that part of the payment was to let you take it down the strip for a few passes? I love drag racing!

tooling looks good!

i think it came out fine tom :yes:

You did a really nice job on that skull.

It would look great on just about anything.

Congrats on your seat.

El supero, Tom! Don't sweat not having enough time to lace, I LOVE rivets. Did you tell the customer that part of the payment was to let you take it down the strip for a few passes? I love drag racing!

Thank you Busted!!!

Nothing wrong with rivets, I just love to lace. It's lika therapy and boy would I need some of that today;-)

I'm sure once that bike takes off I'd love to get off before the finish line;-) so I'm quite fine without such a deal ha ha

tooling looks good!

i think it came out fine tom :yes:

Thank you Roger, I appreciate it!!

You did a really nice job on that skull.

It would look great on just about anything.

Congrats on your seat.

Thank you very much Razz!!

Tom

That came out awesome! I am really interested in seeing it on the bike. I've never seen a seat like this one. The tooling is great!

Art

That came out awesome! I am really interested in seeing it on the bike. I've never seen a seat like this one. The tooling is great!

Art

Thank you Art!!!

First time I see this kind of seat too;-) I'm waiting for shots of it on the bike at the racingevent.

Tom

Heres pics taken by the team at the race. The seat is not showing very well in those pics. I hope my photography friend can come through for me...guess I'll have to sponsor him aswell then ha ha...oh crap, almost out of leather and no money for new hides...times are tough!!!

http://www.geflemalt.com/malmo-09.html

Tom

way to go tom!!! does this mean your beautiful bracers will take a back seat for a while...?

way to go tom!!! does this mean your beautiful bracers will take a back seat for a while...?

Ha ha thanks Roo!! Almost out of leather except for the two projects I'm at right now so we'll see whenever I'll come up with a new bracer.

Tom