Sign in to follow this  
David

Big seat

I did a seat on this seat pan a few months ago and called it big and ugly.....I still don't care for the proportions of the seat....it is just too wide for it's length. But it is what the customer ordered.

David Theobald

www.theobaldleather.com

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

post-5652-1205878372_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1205878385_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1205878395_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1205878403_thumb.jpg

I did a seat on this seat pan a few months ago and called it big and ugly.....I still don't care for the proportions of the seat....it is just too wide for it's length. But it is what the customer ordered.

David Theobald

www.theobaldleather.com

the seat looks good, i like the design. what kind of motorcycle is it going on?

the seat looks good, i like the design. what kind of motorcycle is it going on?
Hey Tom,It's going on a Sucker Punch.Dave
Hey Tom,It's going on a Sucker Punch. He bought the bike last year. With another of my seats on it. Decided he wanted a wider one.....It should be interesting to see how it looks on an SPS bike.... by the way it is NOT going on one of their "meathooks".Dave

Top notch as usual, special order?

Yup special order indeed.

Dave

Looks really good to me!

I like the design with the skulls and the florals (are tose called thistles, the kind that itches when touched?), the look very good on leather.

Sweet job!

BTW, didn't you do a tutorial on those kind of inlaid braids and if so do you happen to know if they are online anywhere?

My fingers aren't sore yet so maybe I should try something new!

I look forward to see this one finished, I think it's kinda cool seat. Prolly depends on what kinda bike it'll go on to see the whole outcome of this one.

Tom

Is that one gonna get colored or is it done? I didn't know Ohio was Bandidos country.

Tom, I don't have a pic of the exact bike that it is going on, but it is a green and black version of this bike.

David Theobald

http://www.theobaldleather.com

Img842.gif

post-5652-1205881700_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

Lookin' good.

Got a question, though. Why use the round holes to do the lacing? Wouldn't the slits a lacing chisel would make be tighter looking? Or is it just personal preference?

Just wondering... I just started learning to lace this past week.

Lookin' good.

Got a question, though. Why use the round holes to do the lacing? Wouldn't the slits a lacing chisel would make be tighter looking? Or is it just personal preference?

Just wondering... I just started learning to lace this past week.

Good question, I've been asked several times....on a motorcycle seat, I pull the lacing VERY VERY tight....the slits would tear right out....Holes never tear.

David Theobald

Looks good David. Can't wait to see it done.Shirley
Thanks Shirley....I hope the tooling of those thistles turns out ok....they are pretty difficult to cut.David Theobald
Is that one gonna get colored or is it done? I didn't know Ohio was Bandidos country.
This fellow doesn't live in Ohio as far as I know. I believe he is a West Coast biker. But the Bandidos are everywhere. USA and about a dozen other countries as well.David Theobald

Nice work Dave !!!

I've got family in the Bandidos down here.

few Q's. !. - What size lace are you using, I think it's 1/4" on the outside and not sure about the decorative lace .

2. - what type of rivets do you use ? If i remember rite you also glue washers to the pan.

3. - ONce in chat you told me the pans are powder coated and the holes for the rivets predrilled. Where can i get a pan like that ?

Thanks Dave.

freak

Good question, I've been asked several times....on a motorcycle seat, I pull the lacing VERY VERY tight....the slits would tear right out....Holes never tear.

David Theobald

Ahhh, Got'cha... Good to know if I ever make a seat. Thanks. :)

Nice work Dave !!!

I've got family in the Bandidos down here.

few Q's. !. - What size lace are you using, I think it's 1/4" on the outside and not sure about the decorative lace .

2. - what type of rivets do you use ? If i remember rite you also glue washers to the pan.

3. - ONce in chat you told me the pans are powder coated and the holes for the rivets predrilled. Where can i get a pan like that ?

Thanks Dave.

freak

hey Freak, Yes, 1/4" kangaroo lace on the outside. The decorative lace is 1/8" calf skin, It doesn't have to be pulled too tight.

my rivits are garden variety aluminum pop rivits from my local hardware store

my seat pans are by West Eagle.... I used to tell folks to get them from Custom Chrome.... but I there is a problem with them right now.....so I'm not sure where to tell you to go..... try Fabricator Kevin.....he may have them back in stock now.

Dave

Man you're a clever cookie. It looks really good I especially like the filagree real classical look nice and symetrical. Did you use any books as a reference when you drew it or is it all stored up in your noggin. I've always got my eye out for books to improve my drawing.

Man you're a clever cookie. It looks really good I especially like the filagree real classical look nice and symetrical. Did you use any books as a reference when you drew it or is it all stored up in your noggin. I've always got my eye out for books to improve my drawing.

Hey Pauly,

Well it is a combination of books and noggin. When someone wants a skulls, skeleton etc. I get out my figure drawing book that I used as a student in industrial design. It has all the bones, muscles etc and how to draw them in varying positions.

It is an ancient book.....I'm 40 years out of college!

The scroll work, described by someone else as a thistle design is right from a computer site.....

The typeface, I'll take the blame/credit for that. It is similar to a few I've seen but not an exact copy.

Thanks for taking a look at it.

check out my site for more. There should be a few new ones apprearing there soon.

And keep checking this thread as I post pics of this seat as it progresses.

http://theobaldleather.com

Edited by David

Hey Pauly,

Well it is a combination of books and noggin. When someone wants a skulls, skeleton etc. I get out my figure drawing book that I used as a student in industrial design. It has all the bones, muscles etc and how to draw them in varying positions.

It is an ancient book.....I'm 40 years out of college!

The scroll work, described by someone else as a thistle design is right from a computer site.....

The typeface, I'll take the blame/credit for that. It is similar to a few I've seen but not an exact copy.

Thanks for taking a look at it.

check out my site for more. There should be a few new ones apprearing there soon.

And keep checking this thread as I post pics of this seat as it progresses.

http://theobaldleather.com

Excellent stuff, I've got a lot to look forward to learning.