rickeyfro

Descaling Rattlesnake Skin

Just purchased a rattlesnake skin online, soft tanned already but still has its scales, can someone tell me the process to remove these, and does everybody that uses these for inlays necassarily do this?

Rick,many remove the scales, but for most projectsI prefer to leave them on becuase I like the texture.If you leave them on they need some extra protection .I use about 4-5 liberal coats of Fiebing's Leather Sheen.Just taking a rag and rubbing the opposite way will loosen a bunch, then just use some tweezers and they will come right off.Dave

Rick,many remove the scales, but for most projectsI prefer to leave them on becuase I like the texture.If you leave them on they need some extra protection .I use about 4-5 liberal coats of Fiebing's Leather Sheen.Just taking a rag and rubbing the opposite way will loosen a bunch, then just use some tweezers and they will come right off.Dave

Thanks Dave, Im kinda leaning towards leaving them on myself. Rick

Hi Rickey,

I think they really look better with the scales on too, but sometimes it's hard to get them to stay, especially after an extended period. I'm sure some applications would not be as subject to the scales coming off as other applications might be. Pretty hard to get them to stay on a belt tho! :)

Kevin

I descaled hundreds of snake skins by using my air compresser. When I first got the skins I was doing it the old fashion way by scrapping with a butter knife and one day while using my air compresser i thought about trying the air and woe and behold it blew the scales right off with great ease. after they are gone and I have mounted the skin i go over the skin with a good clear sealer. any clear sealer will work. unless you are using it for belts or wallets then I suggest using neat-lac. it brings the pattern out and protects the skin. I speak from experiance, it is the cleanest and fastest way to descale a snake skin. can be done in less then 1 minute . just be careful not to use to much pressure or you could rip the skin.

I’ve been wondering about this myself. I just made my first belt buckle with western diamondback skin on it a few weeks ago. It was a pain in the neck getting the needle through the scales for the double loop border stitch. Then after wearing it a couple of times, the scales started falling off anyway. 

32B1213C-FAF7-42B7-BCB2-C29F0D069282.jpeg
I messed up on my start and stop with the double loop stitch as you can see in the photo. Ended up tearing it out and redoing it. 

Edited by Maint1517
Added text

yea I take em off before they can fall off.

Hi

If memory serves, Neat-lac is no longer made.  It's 2020, what should I seal the skins with?  A lady I work with raises hunting dogs and is therefore somewhat anti-copperhead.  I can have all I want.

Thanks

Are you saying you have access to Copperhead snake skins?  I'm looking for a couple now and an ongoing source for them.

Duct tape is the best way I have found to remove the scales. Just stick it on and pull it off.

The skin looks much better and generally allows the colors and pattern to show better. I use Saddle Lac on much of my rattlesnake items.

image.thumb.png.f35cf6bc11c527eebf8e8482ab768355.png