Kani

Small earthquake in our area.

I was drinking my usual morning cup of coffee around 5:36 this morning when the earth began to shake. Woow! A little different. I knew what it was when it started it was stronger than the ones we have had before. They say the center was in Salem, IL.

This is not something we usually feel in our area.

Anyone else feel the earth shake this morning?

Have a good day.

Kani

I just saw that in the morning news....it was 325 miles from me, so I slept right through it. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Earthquakes are an interesting beast. I've been through a number of them. The strongest was an 8.2 that lasted for over a minute. What a ride that was. Cured me from ever wanting to go through one again, however slight.

It woke us up here in Cincinnati too.

David Theobald

Yes, they do happen in the midwest, although it's not very common. We had one in Wichita, KS when I lived there, a very small one, though, just enough to make things sitting on shelves rattle. And Manhattan, where I live now, is sitting on a fault line and is rated as a medium earthquake risk by the Geological Survey.

Kate

did not feel it here ......i am in the New Madris Fault zone.......... but it got me thinking

what is the rest of it.??? ''I FELT THE EARTH MOVE UNDER MY FEET''...............

there pretty common here. they say we get a couple hundred a day on a good day.. most we don't feel but every onces in a will we get a rocker that lets us know that we are living here because the volcano lets us..i lost part of my garage on the last big one we had...look for the after shocks!!there alot of fun to. :rockon:

My wife woke me up just in time for it to have stopped : ) I did feel the aftershock around 10:15 STL time.

The only earth quakes I ever experienced was when I was a kid. They used to pump toxic waste a mile down under ground at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal. The ground must not have liked that, as it resisted and complained with a huge "burp". :oops: They stopped doing that and I haven't felt one since.

Wade (my husband) was up and about, getting ready for work this morning, when our Toby started dancing and prancing like he wanted to go outside. Toby doesn't ordinarily get up with Wade, he gets up with me and the kids later on. Wade opened the back door for him, and Toby stopped, spun around, and went behind the couch. Wade tried to coax him out, but he wouldn't budge. Wade finished his coffee and headed out the door at 6 am, and he said he never felt any shaking or heard anything unusual. At work today people were talking about pictures on the walls being crooked, and things falling down from shelves. Only a few said they woke up and felt it. Our village is right smack dab on the Anna-Champaign fault, the busiest seismic area in Ohio, but the only earthquakes I've ever felt were in Charleston, South Carolina, 25 years ago in my wilder days. I was in a 7-Eleven late one night, and the floor rippled for what seemed like quite awhile and all the shelves shook. I took that unsteadiness as a sign that I'd done enough partying for the night, and went home to bed.

Johanna

The funniest earthquake story I remember (if there is anything humorous about earthquakes) happened when my mom was visiting my brother in San Diego, sometime during the late '70's. She was driving around town in her Toyota, waiting at a stoplight, when all of a sudden her car started shaking and rattling. She was very alarmed because she thought there was something wrong with her car. When she looked around at the other cars, and saw them shaking too, she happily rode out the quake knowing there was nothing wrong with her car. As I remember, it was a fairly powerful quake (big enough to make the news), which caused a fair amount of property damage.

Incidently, the USGS has a web site that offers a lot of interesting statistics, including a map of earthquakes occurring within the last week. You can see California, Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico just littered with little quakes, then there's that big one out in Illinois, along with a couple of fairly powerful aftershocks. You can see it here: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/.

Kate

yep, it woke me up. at first I thought it was the dog running through the house ( its an old house and shakes if I sneeze hard) but there was no pitter patter of puppy feet, then I thought maybe I was in t he middle of a full blown poltergiest manifestation (two teenage boys in the house and thats about all that we haven't experienced with them <grin>). then I figured it had to be a quake, it's funny how your mind works when just waking up to something like that, my wife said she had the same thoughts about what it was when it woke her too. the after shock freaked me a little tho, I was on a 8 foot ladder right next to 2 large air handler ducts that ran for about 50 feet down the hall of the school we're working on. there was 2 pipe fitters working at the opposite end from me and all of a sudden the 2 ducts started dancing around like crazy. I thought the guys at the other end were shaking them, but when I looked down to see what they were doing, they were looking back at me probably thinking the same thing. thats when I got down from the ladder and found out we had just had an aftershock, boy they named that right!

Speaking of odd happenings during an earthquake...during the 8.2 earthquake I went through, there was a lot of damage. However, in one instance there was a goblet that fell to the tiled floor and didn't break. There was a lot of rolling around, which included the cabinets. The goblet got lodged up underneath a corner of one of the cabinets. Had to break the goblet to dislodge it from its location....go figure.

I got woke up from the earthquake. We are across the river from St Louis, mo. Really rattled things pretty good. I thought it was wind when I first woke up then I knew what was going on. No damage and fell back to sleep after I knew what it was... Made for an interesting day lol