harnessman

Weavers Sneaky Price Hike

Any info about shipping from the supply side is welcome here, Steve. And if Weaver was smart, they'd at least be looking here too.

When it comes to the bottom line, we're all looking to reduce costs and increase profit. It almost sounds like they don't want to be in the leather supply business anymore, because they sure aren't competitive to what I want or need. $86 for 4 hides? Were they wrapped in Kevlar and delivered by beautiful women?

If you'll buy 4 hides of anything from us, and you're willing to pay $86 for freight, the leather won't be wrapped in Kevlar, but I'll make sure they are delivered by some beautiful women (hope I don't get into trouble for this!)

If you'll buy 4 hides of anything from us, and you're willing to pay $86 for freight, the leather won't be wrapped in Kevlar, but I'll make sure they are delivered by some beautiful women (hope I don't get into trouble for this!)

Steven, if you can make that a hot guy with his shirt off (I'm a girl :wave: ) then I will be happy to pay $86 for freight! :rofl:

I will definitely start doing some price shopping. The leather I bought was Hermann Oak, nothing unique. I should be able to find the same exact thing from lots of different places. A little time spent checking around would be worth it!

Steven, if you can make that a hot guy with his shirt off (I'm a girl :wave: ) then I will be happy to pay $86 for freight! :rofl:

I will definitely start doing some price shopping. The leather I bought was Hermann Oak, nothing unique. I should be able to find the same exact thing from lots of different places. A little time spent checking around would be worth it!

Did you read my post on the forum "A skirting story"? If you are looking for natural vegetable tanned leathers that are 5/6, 7/8, 8/9, 9/10, 10/1 2 or 12/14, I am pretty sure our leather is a better value and better leather. Maybe we should discuss this off-line or give me a call at 800.862.8956. - Steve

as far as the no phone calls goes they have been like that for years. i used to ship cod from them and they were always supposed to call me and never ever did. when they quit shipping cod they were supposed to call me with total before they billed my card and never ever did. that is why i havent ordered from them in a couple of years.

What alot of companies seem to forget is their are ALOT more small business's than their are big and mega business's. In the last 20 plus years i have had places tell me up front they didn't want a small business ordering from them. That they wanted at least a 5 side per order some were a 10 side order. Then their were the ones that said if you don't order at least a MAGIC amount that they decide on you would no longer be able to buy from them. Well in the last 20 years alot of those companies have gone out of business. I bought from Weaver back when they first started. But the Weaver family owned it then. It wouldn't surprise me to see this new bunch go out of business in a few years espically if they try cut the small business's out. They will miss the millions that the small business's would of spent. If they want to take their marbles and decide who gets to play that's fine their lots of other places that will be glad to have the business.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I order through Weaver every couple of months and have had nothing but good luck with them. I dont make big orders either{$150.00-$250.00}. I ordered from them last week and had some belt buckles back ordered that they shipped me this week for free. I had a box full of dye and tools, and a double shoulder wrapped seperately shipped for $20.00. Is that considered a high shipping fee? I thought it was about the same as Tandy Leather.

Just an observation here. Whenever I have ordered something be it on the phone, or online I was given the shipping total then. I have not ordered some items due to the high shipping costs. Do you guys just tell someone this is what I want, send it, without getting a total first?

Hi

Because of the variable nature of the stuff I order from Weavers it is hard to get a straight answer out of them on shipping, especially when you order hides. Since I have been keeping closer track of their shipping lately I have also noticed that when you order stuff they always ship in their standard brown "stock" boxes via private carrier and charge primo prices. When they ship back orders, which they do on their own nickle they ship the cheapest way, USPS Priority flat rate boxes, which they can cram a lot of weight into and ship cheap. Why don't they use this relatively inexpensive shipping service for their regular shipments?

Jim

Hi

Because of the variable nature of the stuff I order from Weavers it is hard to get a straight answer out of them on shipping, especially when you order hides. Since I have been keeping closer track of their shipping lately I have also noticed that when you order stuff they always ship in their standard brown "stock" boxes via private carrier and charge primo prices. When they ship back orders, which they do on their own nickle they ship the cheapest way, USPS Priority flat rate boxes, which they can cram a lot of weight into and ship cheap. Why don't they use this relatively inexpensive shipping service for their regular shipments?

Jim

It always seems like most people spend someone elses money alot less conservative than their own! I don't see the point in wasting anyones money!

I had my issue sorted out with them fairly quickly and they did correct their mistake without any further expence so I think it might come down to who you speak to in regards to returns. So in the end I am fairly happy with their service, Fed Ex on the other hand need a kick up the bum in WA.

I have ordered quite alot from Weavers this year and have had no problems with them at all. Their website is easy to order from and they send the orders out quick, I usually get it delivered to our shed door within five days of ordering. I cant get stuff delivered here from the South Island that quick!! The postage is cheaper than in New Zealand. I got 50 two inch Stainless steel rings a month or so ago. They cost $40USD to FedEx here. Unfortunately I misunderstood the measuring and they turned out to be too big so I was going to send them back. New Zealand Post wanted $100NZD to send so I kept them and reordered - still worked out cheaper!

I ordered some books from Tandy in Fort Worth last month. They hadnt turned up three weeks after ordering so I emailed Tandy to see where it had got to. Apparently "someone" had sent it to Australia, along with another order I had made a week later. I cannot fathom out why they would have sent it to Australia as I had typed my address correctly on the order form and no where did it mention Australia! I am still waiting for the books which I especially ordered in plenty of time for a Birthday present - doesnt look like they'll arrive on time now. Sounds like "someone" needs a Geography lesson as New Zealand hasnt been connected to Australia for about 350 Million years when it seperated from the "red country" and floated out into the Pacific!

DJ:Holysheep:

Just got my order in today, 1 side of Latigo and 2 sides of suede all wrapped together and a second box with some silver, qt die and saddle soap. the total on shipping was 25.00 so I did not think that was too bad. But I am in Kansas so it's not that far from Ohio. I have always been pleased with what I have gotten from Weaver but I don't buy much leather from them.

Randy

I buy around a $1,000.00 month worth from Weaver and have not seen any difference in service or quality. They have consistently been one of the best companies for me to work with. It is fair for a company to charge more shipping and handling on small orders especially when their prices are generally the lowest in the industry.

Here is some news on their sale:

Weaver Leather sells majority interest to private firm

November 4, 2008By CHRIS LEONARD

Staff Writer

MILLERSBURG -- Weaver Leather has sold a majority interest to Capital Partners, a small Greenwich, Conn., private equity firm, to "ensure the long-term stability of the company," officials said in a release.

The deal was made Oct. 27, and "this decision was made after careful consideration and will ensure the long-term stability of the company for its employees, customers and suppliers," the release stated. "Selling majority interest to Capital Partners will provide expanded opportunities for Weaver Leather to pursue new product lines and opportunities in the marketplace."

Spokesman Jeff Albaugh said "there's no additional comments or interviews." He declined comment on what the "expanded opportunities" were and also any effect the sale has to its 262 employees.

Paul Weaver, chief executive officer and second-generation owner, declined comment. In the release, it stated he "will continue his active involvement in the organization both as chairman of the board and shareholder."

As of Sept. 26, Weaver Leather filed to become a limited liability corporation in the state of Delaware, according to a state Web site.

"An LLC gives you the best of both worlds. It allows you to avoid the double tax and, according to the legal profession, provides limited liability," said John Cook, a certified public accountant with Wooster-based Long, Cook & Samsa.

With an LLC, a company pays taxes on all income earned and not on income and dividends like a corporation, Cook said.

"Weaver Leather will continue operations at its Mount Hope, Ohio headquarters with the same core values, culture and passion for exceeding customer expectations through quality products and excellent service that have been cornerstones since the company's founding in 1973," according to the press release.

Started by founder Harry Weaver as a two-man shop, Weaver Leather has grown from making products like leather halters to pet supplies, horse saddlery and arborist equipment.

Capital Partners Managing Director Mark Allsteadt said the investment company, founded in 1982, makes investments long-term and keeps a laissez-faire approach concerning company direction.

"We invest money in high-quality, middle-market companies. We think Weaver Leather is one of those high-quality companies," he said. "We hold the investments long-term and let the existing management run the company."

According to its Web site, it invested in companies like Border Foods, a packer and marketer of green chile and jalapeno products, and Flavor House, the largest snack nut processor and marketer in the United States.

"We like what we would describe as niche markets that are relatively small in size that would allow a company like Weaver Leather to be a leading participant in the market," Allsteadt said.

Looks to me like they needed more capital to grow.

David Genadek

Edited by David Genadek

I got a order from Weaver's today 7 edgers and two packages of needles. I weighted the box before i opened it and it weighted 1 lb and 5 oz . Shipping was $20.00. So i called and asked if their was a mistake and the lady told me np their was no mistake. That they had a flate rate on shipping going on now $1.00 to $99.00 was $15.00 shipping $99.00 to $200.00 was $20.00 matter the weight i guess. Told her i though i was getting ripped off on the shipping because i had got two sides of skirting from Wickett and Craig that weighted 36 pounds and the shipping was $26.00 and change. She did say they would give a one time $7.50 refund on the shipping. I don't use UPS because the only place in my town Rips you off to send something. I mail things all over the country and quite a bit outside of the country and the post office is lots cheaper and faster alot of the time.

Anyway they sent a customer comment form in the box and i have it filled out and one of the questions was would i buy from Weaver again. I checked yes and put a question mark beside it. Now It just depends if i can't find what i'm looking for another company i'll get it from them if i can't i will have to order from Weaver and pay the rip off price. As of now they have lost a 18 to 20 year customer if i can find what i want someplace else.

Edited by dirtclod

I got a order from Weaver's today 7 edgers and two packages of needles. I weighted the box before i opened it and it weighted 1 lb and 5 oz . Shipping was $20.00.

I feel for ya dirtclod, however I can see that since this thread has started that Weaver is making an effort to get it right. I paid $25 for shipping of just one (1) edger. Your situation indicates a slight improvement. I think they are trying to make it work for everyone, but there is quite a range of buyers to keep happy. Some spend $1,000.00 a month others not even that a year.

Gougeing on the shipping is a killer for me. It doesn't matter if it's from a brick and motor store / company or one on ebay i won't pay it if theirs any place else to get it.

Just like the store in town that charged my customer $70.00 to overnight a package to Seattle. When i checked UPS website is should of been $50.00 . When i went back and complained i was told that's what the computer says and ithat i should of went to a UPS store if i wanted to pay $50.00. I doubt theirs a UPS store within a 100 miles of where i live. Now i don't mind them making some money. I think $5.00 to fill out a ticket and print a label would of been high but i would of paid it. I told the lady i wouldn't ba back and i haven't been back. Plus i have told everbody i see what a rip off joint their running. With the internet word travels faster now than ever before and people will tell quicker about bad service than good service. I guess that's human nature.

Edited by dirtclod

Gougeing on the shipping is a killer for me. It doesn't matter if it's from a brick and motor store / company or one on ebay i won't pay it if theirs any place else to get it.

Just like the store in town that charged my customer $70.00 to overnight a package to Seattle. When i checked UPS website is should of been $50.00 . When i went back and complained i was told that's what the computer says and ithat i should of went to a UPS store if i wanted to pay $50.00. I doubt theirs a UPS store within a 100 miles of where i live. Now i don't mind them making some money. I think $5.00 to fill out a ticket and print a label would of been high but i would of paid it. I told the lady i wouldn't ba back and i haven't been back. Plus i have told everbody i see what a rip off joint their running. With the internet word travels faster now than ever before and people will tell quicker about bad service than good service. I guess that's human nature.

The UPS stores are traditionally higher than if you have an account with them.

We used to ship thousands of items with them but they have gotten so high priced, we send 90% via the post office. They do not lose more than 4 or 5 a year out of 20,000, we just cover that. Still cheaper than UPS.

ferg

For the Priority Mail I can print a label but since we aren't home at mail time, it is a trip to stand in line at a post office for most of what I send. I have a UPS account and it is no big deal to print a label at home then pass it off to a driver, drop it off at a UPS Store, or the UPS service center. They are all a drop and run deal rather than wait in line. Ferg is right about the UPS store fees, and the independent shipping centers are even higher. Last year I shipped a saddle and a few other things in one box to Indianapolis for the guild show. With insurance and everything, it cost about $125 going ground. For the return trip I wasn't able to print a label and took it to a UPS Store. Same packaging and contents were $235. I don't begrudge them - they are a franchisee trying to pay rent in a strip mall and earn a living. He was sitting there on a Saturday afternoon and I was glad to see him. The alternative of asking someone to handle an 80# bulky box or trust the hotel to make sure a UPS pickup driver got it was not as attractive. Everything arrived in both directions just fine.

I have found that UPS website is handier than the post office for me, and their tracking for me has been much better. I still have delivery confirmation on some Priority Mail listing as not delivered from last year. They got them 3 days after I shipped. One was scanned as delivered in my hometown the day I shipped it. It was supposed to go across the country and did. Everybody has had different experiences with Priority Mail, UPS, and FedEx. I had a FedEx sit in AZ until they got a load to go to a remote location. It was delivered one day short of 30 days after I sent it. Insurance claims with the post office are not much fun and they can drag things out. I filed a claim with UPS and had a check a week after I sent the paperwork. For the small stuff replacable - Priority Mail is less expensive. Some of the bulkier things or the better stuff I care about and insure, I go with UPS.

For the Priority Mail I can print a label but since we aren't home at mail time, it is a trip to stand in line at a post office for most of what I send. I have a UPS account and it is no big deal to print a label at home then pass it off to a driver, drop it off at a UPS Store, or the UPS service center. They are all a drop and run deal rather than wait in line. Ferg is right about the UPS store fees, and the independent shipping centers are even higher. Last year I shipped a saddle and a few other things in one box to Indianapolis for the guild show. With insurance and everything, it cost about $125 going ground. For the return trip I wasn't able to print a label and took it to a UPS Store. Same packaging and contents were $235. I don't begrudge them - they are a franchisee trying to pay rent in a strip mall and earn a living. He was sitting there on a Saturday afternoon and I was glad to see him. The alternative of asking someone to handle an 80# bulky box or trust the hotel to make sure a UPS pickup driver got it was not as attractive. Everything arrived in both directions just fine.

I have found that UPS website is handier than the post office for me, and their tracking for me has been much better. I still have delivery confirmation on some Priority Mail listing as not delivered from last year. They got them 3 days after I shipped. One was scanned as delivered in my hometown the day I shipped it. It was supposed to go across the country and did. Everybody has had different experiences with Priority Mail, UPS, and FedEx. I had a FedEx sit in AZ until they got a load to go to a remote location. It was delivered one day short of 30 days after I sent it. Insurance claims with the post office are not much fun and they can drag things out. I filed a claim with UPS and had a check a week after I sent the paperwork. For the small stuff replacable - Priority Mail is less expensive. Some of the bulkier things or the better stuff I care about and insure, I go with UPS.

As long as the item is not too big to fit into your mailbox at home or where ever, you can ship PriOrity. We haul shipments every day from September through January to the Post Office. We have an account with Endicia

Buy postage electronically which is posted to our designated Credit Card account. I wrote a program for Any and all Mail over 13 oz. The Endicia software takes care of all first class plus International, we ship lots to Canada.

We printout the labels for UPS and International. Our clients send us the mailing labels attached to each order, BUT !!! We do all the printing since we receive all orders via computer. I wrote a program to transfer most all orders we receive into Excel then into our Data base that I wrote also. Piece of cake :)

We don't even bother with insurance or tracking with the Post Office, too much hassle. Yes, we ship larger packages via UPS. Our customers routinely receive their merchandise from Ohio to the West Coast in no more than 5 days via PriOrity Mail.

ferg