leatheroo

this afternoons work

So many layers of paint on this mask. it started out cream and yellow with a touch of red, then had a paint accident. kept painting, didnt like it, more paint, then it was ok...kept fiddling...ignored big sign that says "leave well enough alone" .... had to start again with a darker base color....here she is .... really tempted to paint over again, but i will look at it for awhile

DSCF0479.gif

post-4514-1210570761_thumb.jpg

Edited by leatheroo

Roo, I love how you make all the details on your masks (this one for example) . the head tips are awesome.

Oh Roo, I know that feeling all to well.

Have to say since I don't know how the final result was thought to be that it looks excellent. I wouldn't change a bit.

She reminds me of Medusa from the Greek myth's with her serpent hair.

A with a + for history association.

Tom

I'd leave it alone, looks awesome the way it is :)

Roo, sometimes when things don't work out the way we want it to, it actually works out for the better. I think this one looks great, really like the spiked hair.

Ken

Roo, what a piece of work, when I see them posted I'm always amazed at the work that goes into them. I'm asking a stupid question here I know but what are they used for? I haven't been able to decide if they're used as decorative artwork or what so I'm finally going to choke up and ask.

thanks JR, most people who buy them wear them to fancy dress or masquerade parties, i like to think they then hang them on a wall.

Hi Caroline,

I think when a project doesn't turn out just like we imagine it in our heads, it's hard for us to accept that it still turned out nice. I have had a lot of experience with that and have found out that it sometimes helps to walk away for a few hours, days, or maybe years! I carved a really large picture about 20 years ago and started to paint it. I didn't like the way it was going at all and put it away in a closet. It stayed there for a very long time, buried under all kinds of stuff. When I finally pulled it out years later, I thought, "well, that doesnt look that bad at all, wonder why I gave up on it". Maybe someday I'll finish the painting, even though the picture has a few battle scars from it's years in the closet. I had another experience where I was donating some checkbook covers to a benefit auction. I had purposely left out one cover with roses carved on it, painted really awful bright red and green. My wife told me I should take it because you never know what someone else might like. It turned out that was the first one to sell and brought the most money (and I was really glad that I didn't have to look at it ever again!).

So my point is, dont get discouraged. Even though this mask may not have turned out like you imagined it was going to, it still looks really nice. The rest of us wouldn't have known that wasn't what you had planned unless you told us.

Another beauty, Roo! I love the coloring. Of course I'm partial to pearlescence! I too saw Medusa immediately when I saw your mask. I have been thinking of doing one of her myself, as that snakiness really is impressive! Good job, and keep 'em coming.

Another nice one! I love the effects you get in your paint... just really nice subtle shading, and the pearlescence on this one is great.

Roo,

Nice mask! I also was thinking Medusa when I first saw the pic.

I also like the color, but then again, I am partial to darker colors and mythalogical creatures.

Johnny

Roo - Nicely done. I have always enjoyed seeing your masks. I have not seen one I did not like. Again, nicely done.

Wow thats beautiful!!! sorry I know its already been asked what mm is that leather?

hi pip, in the past i have been using 1mm but the last lot i had was not holding up very well, the last few masks i have made, i used 2mm.

I immediately thought of Medusa too. Roo, does the movie industry know about you? I suspect you could get alot of work if they did, in fact I think they'd be beating your door down.

Edited by Kanga