The wallet design is nothing new, I've executed this many times before. But this is the first time I am using the Royal Meadow from Tandy and I love the clean leather and luxurious feel. It is only slightly more expensive than Craftsman grade Hermann Oak but the clean hide gives so much more yield than the HO which I had so much wastage. I even find it better for hand-stitching. After stitching the entire length of the wallet outer, I still don't see any fray in my thread whereas for the HO, I have to keep waxing along the way.

Would stop making wallets for the time being to concentrate on learning carving.

MyWallet9.jpg

MyWallet2.jpg

MyWallet4.jpg

MyWallet5.jpg

MyWallet3.jpg

MyWallet6.jpg

MyWallet8.jpg

MyWallet1.jpg

Edited by reddevil76

Very nice reddevil very clean only have one problem the snake skin gives me the the heeby jeebys can't stand the things which is great living in Australia hee hee. Anyhow keep up the good work, I'm sure you will have some great carvings as well to show off soon.

Cheers,

Clair

I can tell you have made this before....... it clearly shows in the

extremely clean lines and straight stitching. I can tell this is clearly high quality leather

to work with... it looks like there are no flaws...... soft & smooth...

Definitely something to be proud of. Excellent braiding too...

Edited by LNLeather

Looks great Reddevil. All the little extra touches and the lines & stitching are top notch. Nice job on the burnishing too.

What ounce leather did you use for the interior? Also, on the snakeskin it looks like that is attached to a piece of cowhide, correct?

Looks great Reddevil. All the little extra touches and the lines & stitching are top notch. Nice job on the burnishing too.

What ounce leather did you use for the interior? Also, on the snakeskin it looks like that is attached to a piece of cowhide, correct?

Thanks Spinner, I used 3-4 oz throughout. And I attached the python skin to 2 oz calf.

Very nice! Can you clue me in on what Royal Meadow is? I guess I need to look it up.

Very nice! Can you clue me in on what Royal Meadow is? I guess I need to look it up.

Hi, it's from Tandy Leather Factory, look it up under "tooling sides"

where did you get the chain attachment? the hardware really looks good...

Hi, I got them from Ohio Travel Bag, I forgot which page of the catalog, but they call them handle loops.

best regards reddevil, this is great stuff!!!

i'll be making something like that soon and i'm sure i'll come back for this pictures as a guide...

tnx!!

silk

Reddevil, that looks fantastic. How are the credit card holders constructed? This is probably a newbie question, but are you gluing material to the leather to hold the cards? I've been trying to find answers with the search tool but I'm coming up empty (it did lead me here though).

Reddevil, that looks fantastic. How are the credit card holders constructed? This is probably a newbie question, but are you gluing material to the leather to hold the cards? I've been trying to find answers with the search tool but I'm coming up empty (it did lead me here though).

Hi, the top slot, which is the most inner slot, is glued to the main backing piece, and the bottom edge stitched.

Then the second slot is glued, overlapping the slot above, and the bottom edge stitched.

Then the outermost slot is glued, and the whole piece stitched all around the edges.

I think I understand. So, you're not using satin or some textile material glued to the inside of the leather dividers, like on factory manufactured wallets? You have 4 pieces of 3-4 oz leather, each successively smaller than the previous, all edge stitched to the main backing piece(on the non zippered side)?

What are the dimensions of the wallet, do you mind? The main piece, then the zipper pouch and main cc backing? They look like their basically the same size, with an inch or so of free space between them?

Sorry for the million questions. I'd seen a similar wallet and have been trying to get the dimensions correct before I cut any leather. I was wanting to do an 8" wallet, but am not sure on the internals.

Thank you for your great post and humoring all my questions!

Saw your post/pictures on "Wallet Card Pockets" topic. . . is that basically what you're doing here? Very nice!

So, you're not using satin or some textile material glued to the inside of the leather dividers, like on factory manufactured wallets?

No. If the leather I am using is stiff tempered, I'd just split it to 3 oz and use it as it is. If it is rather soft, I would use it at 4 oz. But hand skive the overlapping areas (areas which factory wallets use cloth instead)

You have 4 pieces of 3-4 oz leather, each successively smaller than the previous, all edge stitched to the main backing piece(on the non zippered side)?

3 pieces, not 4.

What are the dimensions of the wallet, do you mind? The main piece, then the zipper pouch and main cc backing? They look like their basically the same size, with an inch or so of free space between them?

Main piece is 8 X 8. Zipper is 7 X 8 folded to 3.5 X 8. Main CC backing is 3.5 X 8.

Sorry for the million questions. I'd seen a similar wallet and have been trying to get the dimensions correct before I cut any leather. I was wanting to do an 8" wallet, but am not sure on the internals.

If you've cleared 50% of your doubts, I'd encourage you to just go ahead and try. I started without any ideas of sizings, and created templates as I tried the best sizes and configurations. I stil constantly refine these to either provide a better function for user, or a easier production process, or reduce unnecessary complications that increase the need for finishing work.

It's a nice feeling to work with something you designed yourself.

Thank you for your great post and humoring all my questions!

My pleasure. Good luck, cheers!

Edited by reddevil76