Storm

YELLOW FIN & RED DRAGON

Here are my first two colored pyrocarves. I am working on a third and hope it may come out better. Hope you like um!

Storm

Edited by Storm

You've got some skills brutha! Very nice.

KK

Those are real cool, great work.

Ken

that pyrocarving sure lets you bring in the details.. love the details and colors great job Storm... :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Edited by hiloboy

Wow Storm, your pyrocarving carvings is really coming out top notch with this.

Great stuff :clapping::notworthy:

Tom

AWESOME WORK!

The pyrocarving gives the carving a tremendous amount of detail. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Johnny

Boy, this is the night to see some great work! Thanks for sharing that, Storm.

Kate

very nice work, love the dragonfly

Very very nice work. Did you do any swivel knife carving at all on these? Or 100% pyro then dye/paint?

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Regis,

I can refer you to some recent earlier posts on the "Show Off Page"for visuals on the two pieces.  A couple on page one and some on page two. Sequence of work:

1. Full figure carve

2. Pyrography

3. Acrylic paint washes.

Thanx,

Storm

Very very nice work. Did you do any swivel knife carving at all on these? Or 100% pyro then dye/paint?

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Storm

Storm, could you post a link to the pyro equipment you use or perhaps a pic of your own.

Somehow I keep thinking it'd be easier to understand how you do it if I'd see the stuff.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Nothing very fancy at this point I'm affraid. Just a single temp burner like this one. Get some extra money then I will invest $150 to $200 on a proper razor tip type unit with variable temp control. However I have thought about making my own temp control with a reostatic controller. Sometimes you just don't want so much heat. Hope that helps. It is like a soldering iron with a real conical pointed tip.

Storm

Storm, could you post a link to the pyro equipment you use or perhaps a pic of your own.

Somehow I keep thinking it'd be easier to understand how you do it if I'd see the stuff.

Tom

HERE ARE THE PROGRESSION SHOTS FOR THE DRAGON FLY! :-)

Thanks Regis,

I can refer you to some recent earlier posts on the "Show Off Page"for visuals on the two pieces.  A couple on page one and some on page two. Sequence of work:

1. Full figure carve

2. Pyrography

3. Acrylic paint washes.

Thanx,

Storm

Tom

Tom, i hope Storm don't mind this is a link to one of the burners i use http://www.carvertools.com/ i really like their pens.. i also have a razor that i like but i still use the optima pens with both the razor and my optima 1.. i like the fixed tip pens myself..

Edited by hiloboy

Hi Tom,

Nothing very fancy at this point I'm affraid. Just a single temp burner like this one. Get some extra money then I will invest $150 to $200 on a proper razor tip type unit with variable temp control. However I have thought about making my own temp control with a reostatic controller. Sometimes you just don't want so much heat. Hope that helps. It is like a soldering iron with a real conical pointed tip.

Storm

Tom, i hope Storm don't mind this is a link to one of the burners i use http://www.carvertools.com/ i really like their pens.. i also have a razor that i like alot but i still use the optima pens with both the razor and my optima 1.. i like the fixed tip pens myself..

Thank you Storm and Hilo! Yo guys are great!

Now I get the whole picture - so to speak;-)

This technique is impressive so I gotta start look around where to get it in Sweden. I know there's alot of interest in wood burning here so I can probably something that is just as functional if not the same types.

Tom

Hey Tom,

The site Curt showed you is the type of gear that I was talking about.  There is one provision I should give you a heads up about.  Many people say that they don't like or can't stand the smell when you are burning leather.  Yet another reason to start out spending $15-$20 for a simple burner at first. For myself I don't have any problem with the smell. I use high end oak tanned leathers. But I just might have a tolerance to whatever smells are being generated. I know it might sound bizarro but having spent two and a half years in Vietnam might have desnsitized my nose to this smell.  Although I have a good feeling that it maybe the types of leathers used and the tanning method used. Any other questions I will try to answer best I can.

Thanx,

Storm

Thank you Storm and Hilo! Yo guys are great!

Now I get the whole picture - so to speak;-)

This technique is impressive so I gotta start look around where to get it in Sweden. I know there's alot of interest in wood burning here so I can probably something that is just as functional if not the same types.

Tom

Hey Tom,

The site Curt showed you is the type of gear that I was talking about. There is one provision I should give you a heads up about. Many people say that they don't like or can't stand the smell when you are burning leather. Yet another reason to start out spending $15-$20 for a simple burner at first. For myself I don't have any problem with the smell. I use high end oak tanned leathers. But I just might have a tolerance to whatever smells are being generated. I know it might sound bizarro but having spent two and a half years in Vietnam might have desnsitized my nose to this smell. Although I have a good feeling that it maybe the types of leathers used and the tanning method used. Any other questions I will try to answer best I can.

Thanx,

Storm

I've tried a little "leather burning" with a pyro pen, and I didn't notice any bad smell. Maybe it's just certain individuals that are sensitive to the odor?

Odour is no prob for me except those darn perfumes and flowers that alerts my allergies, that's not very nice.

Thanks for the warning anyway, got some people here at home to think about too that may not like it. They jumped out the windows when i dremel'ed some deer horn material;-)

Tom

i have found if there is a odor when burning leather.. it because i'm burning at to high a temp.. leather burns best at low temps. that why i start burning my leather at low temps to start my shading work. then i work my temps up for darker areas.. i work light to dark when doing my burns.. i hope that helps..i also use some scrap leather to take some of the heat build up off my pens . before i start working on the finished piece.. i do that ever time i pick up my pen other wise it will leave a dark burn on your work.. from the heat build up of your pen.. i hope this helps a bet...