Hi All-

I saw Spider's post months ago, he had done a cigar holder. This is my take on one. It's for the hubby - I hope it is not too girlie.

This is before putting it together.

CigarHolder.jpg

After Construction

cigar2a.jpgcigar4a.jpg

cigar5a.jpgcigar6a.jpg

cigar7a.jpgcigar9a.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Crystal

post-6163-1214106583_thumb.jpg

post-6163-1214106661_thumb.jpg

post-6163-1214106715_thumb.jpg

post-6163-1214106766_thumb.jpg

post-6163-1214106806_thumb.jpg

post-6163-1214106845_thumb.jpg

post-6163-1214106878_thumb.jpg

Wow beautiful! I love it.

What did you use to line the interior??? Would there be any smell that transfer to the cigar???? I can't see the cap properly. How do you close the tube?

Hehe :P I am a cigar smoker too and I have been thinking of how to make one.

Thank you for the idea!

singteck

beautiful work, love the design and colors

Very nice and it all works so well.  The overall look is great.

Storm

Love it! Nice cap and the keeper is nice and handy.

The thistle design works great especially with it clinging on to the border and backgrounding looks smooth and nice.

Now that you know how fun tubes are maybe your hubby needs a tube for his fishingrod, hint hint!

Tom

Crystal,

This is beautiful. I love your design and construction. Looks very very good. You should go to your local cigar lounge's and show these. They are always amazed by hand made, creative and most importantly NEW stuff. I have even offered to put a logo on them for each lounge. Just an idea since this one came out sooooooo awesome.

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Crystal,

This is beautiful. I love your design and construction. Looks very very good. You should go to your local cigar lounge's and show these. They are always amazed by hand made, creative and most importantly NEW stuff. I have even offered to put a logo on them for each lounge. Just an idea since this one came out sooooooo awesome.

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Spider has a great idea.  If it looked big enough you could get a logo for them in the form of a makers stamp. Very pro looking and at the same time with its own design.

Wow beautiful! I love it.What did you use to line the interior??? Would there be any smell that transfer to the cigar???? I can't see the cap properly. How do you close the tube?Hehe :P I am a cigar smoker too and I have been thinking of how to make one.Thank you for the idea!singteck
Thanks, Singteck. The cap is like a stopper.Cigar13a.jpgI thought about lining it with the paper thin cedar that comes in some cigar boxes, but wasn't sure if I could wet mold it to get the shape. Then wasn't sure how to glue it in. So there is no lining.Cigar14a.jpgThe cap is 2 pieces. I skived the bottom half to less than 1/2 the leather thickness and for the top I grooved an inside channel to insert the circle piece.Cigar16a.jpgHope this answers some questions. I have no idea what smells, etc might transfer. I did not seal the inside with anything, nor the outside, yet. Crystal
beautiful work, love the design and colors
Thanks, Leatherroo. First time using any color. Yellow and blue really does make green! :) Crystal

post-6163-1214148836_thumb.jpg

post-6163-1214148944_thumb.jpg

post-6163-1214148994_thumb.jpg

Love it! Nice cap and the keeper is nice and handy.

The thistle design works great especially with it clinging on to the border and backgrounding looks smooth and nice.

Now that you know how fun tubes are maybe your hubby needs a tube for his fishingrod, hint hint!

Yes Tom, if he askes for a fishing rod case, I am going to tell him that I know someone that makes them - and give him your name. :thumbsup:

Tom

Thanks for the critique!

Crystal,This is beautiful. I love your design and construction. Looks very very good. You should go to your local cigar lounge's and show these. They are always amazed by hand made, creative and most importantly NEW stuff. I have even offered to put a logo on them for each lounge. Just an idea since this one came out sooooooo awesome. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thanks for giving me the idea, Spider. Would have never thunk it without seeing yours.As far as I know we don't have any cigar lounges anywhere near. Nice idea, though. I will have to see if this one holds up with some use. Just because it is together, doesn't mean that it will STAY together. There are a few things that I think I would change for next time. I think the cap could be better. That was kind of an afterthought. Original thought was to use a wine cork, but didn't have enough length inside to fit the cork and the cigar. Thanks again!Crystal
Spider has a great idea. If it looked big enough you could get a logo for them in the form of a makers stamp. Very pro looking and at the same time with its own design.
Thanks for the comments, Storm. I hope someone else does this, I am sure there is probably an easier way. As long as this took for me to do, I think I could grow the tobacco and roll a few in less time than it took me to get this done. :rolleyes: Thanks!Crystal

Thanks for the critique!

:wavey: Thank you Crystal but I think he'd appreciate it more coming from you.

Nice work with that cap!

Tom

If you did one of the three cigar style holders it would show off your tooling better. They are actually pretty easy to make. sew a flat pouch and then wet form it around 3- 3/4 inch dowels for the inside and form the cover around a pine plug.

If you did one of the three cigar style holders it would show off your tooling better. They are actually pretty easy to make. sew a flat pouch and then wet form it around 3- 3/4 inch dowels for the inside and form the cover around a pine plug.

Thanks, Fishguy. I was just trying out construction ideas for this one. I saw that 3 cigar pattern in a LC&SJ issue. I have tried it twice - kind of. 1st time, stitched too far in and couldn't get 3 dowels in. 2nd time cut out the cover pieces and traced on my pattern - UPSIDE DOWN of course. Said some bad words - went back to it next evening and traced my pattern on the other cover piece and it was on UPSIDE DOWN. At least I have matching pieces now and patterns that say - TOP and BOTTOM. :crazy:

Crystal

i like it alooooooot...makes me wanna start smokin stoogies, just so i can make one to show off :showoff:

darryl

p.s how the heck you keep your nails so clean and your manicures from gettin trashed :blink:

i like it alooooooot...makes me wanna start smokin stoogies, just so i can make one to show off :showoff:

darryl

p.s how the heck you keep your nails so clean and your manicures from gettin trashed :blink:

Thanks, Darryl!

Pens and pencils fit - stamping tools will fit - all kinds of other things to put in it.

Grow and paint my own nails - no manicures for this girl :) I won't touch dye without gloves. Biggest problem is nail marks in cased leather.

Crystal

Crystal, great work on the pouch. I was digging in the drawers for something the other day and ran across hubby's dual cigar pouch and considered giving it a go. Running across your post just might be a sign! :)

What sized dowels are needed? What weight of leather would work well?

Edited by Shorts

Grow and paint my own nails - no manicures for this girl :) I won't touch dye without gloves. Biggest problem is nail marks in cased leather.

Crystal

I was wondering about your nails leaving marks on

the wet leather when I thought she probably made

herself some soft deer skin finger thimbles. I guess

for the first time in my life I was wrong .....thanks. :head_hurts_kr:

WINDY

P.S. I think it looks great.

Edited by Windy

Crystal, great work on the pouch. I was digging in the drawers for something the other day and ran across hubby's dual cigar pouch and considered giving it a go. Running across your post just might be a sign! :)

What sized dowels are needed? What weight of leather would work well?

Thanks, Shorts. I used a 7/8th's inch dowel for this and it is a snug fit. The leather was (I think) 3-4 oz. If I were to do this again I would use a 1" dowel and go with heavier leather just for the "crush factor". The light stuff is holding it's shape, but is easily squeezed out of shape. Can't wait to see yours!

Crystal

I was wondering about your nails leaving marks on

the wet leather when I thought she probably made

herself some soft deer skin finger thimbles. I guess

for the first time in my life I was wrong .....thanks. :head_hurts_kr:

WINDY

P.S. I think it looks great.

Thanks, Windy. Hadn't thought about finger thimbles... the leather I have to work with at the moment - nail marks don't really matter that much. I think this cow was a blood donor at a mosquito farm in Alaska. :lol: I have thought about making pinky finger gloves for stitching, though.

Thanks, Shorts. I used a 7/8th's inch dowel for this and it is a snug fit. The leather was (I think) 3-4 oz. If I were to do this again I would use a 1" dowel and go with heavier leather just for the "crush factor". The light stuff is holding it's shape, but is easily squeezed out of shape. Can't wait to see yours!

Crystal

I see - thanks Crystal. I believe I may have some Christmas presents all lined up :spoton:

I love this cigar case. I don't even smoke cigars, but I'm thinking about starting just to have one of these very cool accoutrements. Crystal . . . you are a true artist. Your work is Awesome!!!

I love this cigar case. I don't even smoke cigars, but I'm thinking about starting just to have one of these very cool accoutrements. Crystal . . . you are a true artist. Your work is Awesome!!!

Thanks, Randy. I'd like to see what you come up with on one of these! Pens fit real nice in it, doesn't have to be a stogie holder!

Crystal

I Like it not a smoker but like it a lot

josh

Truly exceptional! Love the colors and the design. Very elegant and old world.

Thanks Josh and John!

The fun thing for me about this post popping back up was digging it out of the hubby's stuff and taking another look at it. I think I can do much better now. I kept a log of the stuff I have made and this is #4 on that list. I'm way up to #18 now. (I wouldn't exactly call myself prolific. :rofl: ) But I am learning! :)

Crystal