leatheroo

Burnishing edges ....

I just made a smaller burnisher for my Dremel! I got a 1/2"long, 3/8 wide nylon spacer for 25 cents. I hammered a cutting blade mandrel into the hole then used a needle file to shape the groove.

Burnisher.jpg

Sorry for the cell phone quality.

post-6453-1215571610_thumb.jpg

I just made a smaller burnisher for my Dremel! I got a 1/2"long, 3/8 wide nylon spacer for 25 cents. I hammered a cutting blade mandrel into the hole then used a needle file to shape the groove.

Burnisher.jpg

Sorry for the cell phone quality.

Nice looking tool.

I just got the wood slicker from Weaver. Absolutely wonderful.

Now I'm on the hunt to find 1" hard wood dowels to start experimenting with making my own slickers for my dremel. Does anyone know if The Home Depot or Lowes carries these dowels? I know there are a few places to order online.

Ed

yes they have the dowell rods that you want.

If I can't find cocobolo dowels, what types of wood would be good alternatives?

Ed

The best thing I've tried so far for easy edge slicking is Bee Natural Leather Finish. I don't know what's in that stuff, but I just rub on a little and just a few quick wipes later, I've got slicked edges. I also use other wax finishes in a pinch. They work, but take a little more effort.

Kate

Ed

MAPLE WOULD BE THE NEXT TO LOOK FOR...........ANOTHER ONE THAT I CAIN"T SPELL

THE ONE THAT HORSE APPLES COME FROM:helpsmilie: :crazy:

*****I GOT IT.....IT'S" BO DOCK"

Edited by Luke Hatley

MAPLE WOULD BE THE NEXT TO LOOK FOR...........ANOTHER ONE THAT I CAIN"T SPELL

THE ONE THAT HORSE APPLES COME FROM..........ok somebody hepp me out...... :helpsmilie::crazy:

*****I GOT IT.....IT'S" BO DOCK"

Is this the tree that horse apples come from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osage-orange

I searched the forum and found the following recommendations: walnut, cherry, maple, ash.

Edited by esantoro

I also use the turps and beeswax solution. I make sure I use gum turpentine and not mineral turpentine that you would use to clean paint brushes though.

Barra

Is this the beeswax solution that John Bianchi uses with his felt burnishing wheel?

Ed

Cherry dowels will work fine, I use oak dowels for mine..........Lowes carries them both.

Tim

The best thing I've tried so far for easy edge slicking is Bee Natural Leather Finish. I don't know what's in that stuff, but I just rub on a little and just a few quick wipes later, I've got slicked edges. I also use other wax finishes in a pinch. They work, but take a little more effort.

Kate

.........and for 17.50 for an 8 oz bottle it should do "something" really special. I've used there Rudy's finish for years and love it. Never tried it on the edges though........gonna have to experiment.

Tim

Is this the beeswax solution that John Bianchi uses with his felt burnishing wheel?

Ed

IN the John Bianchi video he uses a FELT burnishing wheel with BEESWAX. Also he uses

a mixtuer of beeswax and pariffin , the beeswax works fine for me.

I may end up getting a collection of dowels of various woods. If I do end up also getting cocobola turning blanks and I want to turn them into 1"-diameter dowels, would 1.5" x 1.5" blanks be large enough or should I go larger?

The only source I have for premade cocobolo dowels is in Canada. Might anyone know of a U.S. supplier for cocobolo dowels? The best source I found for the turning blanks is Diamond Tropical, which also offers good deals with free shipping on Ebay, but that's for a quantity of 15 pcs of 30" 1.5" x 1.5" blanks.

ed

I may end up getting a collection of dowels of various woods. If I do end up also getting cocobola turning blanks and I want to turn them into 1"-diameter dowels, would 1.5" x 1.5" blanks be large enough or should I go larger?

Theoretically 1"x1" would be large enough for 1" diameter rounds. 1.5" square leaves you plenty of room for error while turning them.

Dan

Edited by dbusarow

Theoretically 1"x1" would be large enough for 1" diameter rounds. 1.5" square leaves you plenty of room for error while turning them.

Dan

Thanks, Dan.

Has anyone got experience of using one of those Weaver edge slicking machines? They certainly look the part but do they do the business?

Ed

Try Hide Crafter, that is where I bought my 'coco' burnisher. Good luck

The only source I have for premade cocobolo dowels is in Canada. Might anyone know of a U.S. supplier for cocobolo dowels? The best source I found for the turning blanks is Diamond Tropical, which also offers good deals with free shipping on Ebay, but that's for a quantity of 15 pcs of 30" 1.5" x 1.5" blanks.

ed

you can try cue components and the other cue making supply sites those are mainly shaft blanks for making shafts for pool cues

Dan

I ended up getting the 1" x 1" blanks. I'll try turning them by hand until I can find someone with a lathe.

Ed

Has anyone got experience of using one of those Weaver edge slicking machines? They certainly look the part but do they do the business?

I got one of Weaver's FREE demo DVDs a year or two ago and they showed one of these machines working. Pretty slick! (pardon the pun!) I just checked their website and they're still giving them away. It looks like it may be an updated version from the one I have, so I'm not sure if they'll still show the slicker machine, but I'm sure it'll be interesting none the less! Here's the link:

http://www.leathersupply.com/demo_videos.php

I know it was somewhere on this forum that someone pointed out this guy selling these on ebay...I went, I saw, I bought....here tis.....I rigged it up to an old converted sewing maching that happens to have a 1/2" shaft running through it....don't know how fast it turns, but it seems to work just fine.....

I just picked it up at the PO today, so hopefully by tonight I'll have a project far enough along to burnish...

But just taking it through a trial run, I would say that burnishing will no longer be a PITA for me........more to follow.....

IMG_9841.jpg

IMG_9843.jpg

Um, well, it's also a great finish.

Kate

.........and for 17.50 for an 8 oz bottle it should do "something" really special.

i have been using a variety or method found on this forum but i still can't get a smooth finish , i always get some smooth parts and other parts with little holes that did not seem to be filled with wax/gum and when i rub more the fibres stand up .

if i use gum should i not use wax or water at all or do i still water with canvas, also my problem is the leather i have using to make my watch straps is soft so when i burnish holding it in my hand it creasing the op side a bit. so after i am done working with the leather, sewing, burnishing, etc.. it is full or creases and fold marks.

I saw a post in the leather tools section and a member here is selling motorized burnishers on ebay, his member name is Ivan. Its the same type with the wheel and wax. I ordered one earlier this week and recieved it today. It works great.

Any hardwood should work, but cocobola seems to be what most people prefer because it is an oily wood, maybe teak would work also, I made mine out of rosewood, i'm pretty sure anything that will creat friction will work