Sixer

Requests For "testers"

So with my new sewing machine on the way I've decided to do a little extra marketing and advertising on a few small gun forums. While it has generated quite a few orders, I have a request or two for "testers".

Now it's one thing for a customer to place an order and then make sure to let me know that he "knows a lot of people with guns"... as if maybe he should get a slight discount... because "people with guns" are hard to come by, haha.

I recently received an e-mail from a gentleman "offering" to test out my holsters if I sent him a freebie. The e-mail read a little something like this -

" I seen your post, and if you are looking for a few holster testers i would surely be interested.

I know a lot of people with guns and frequent the local gun shops

here so I could probably get you some business..."

I'm fairly new at this compared to most of you, so I'm sure you guys get requests like this from time to time. I just thought it was kind of funny.

My reply -

"I appreciate the offer. Since each holster is handmade to order, I

don't really have any in stock to send you... and with a lead time of

about 4 weeks on current orders, I just don't have the time or

resources to send out any more 'testers'. But rest assured, my

holsters have been put through the gauntlet by myself, various LEO's,

CCW instructors, and others! If you're interested, I just posted a

rough price list so feel free to place an order and we can

get something nice worked up for you!"

I wanted to be polite, but let him know that I'm not really in the habit of sending out free holsters to random people. Now if Massad Ayoob want's a free holster to review, no problem! Otherwise, you gotta PAY to play ;)

Anyway, that's my rant... Just thought i'd share. Do you guys get this a lot? What are your thoughts?

I will, from time-to-time, ask guys I regularly shoot IDPA with to try out new designs and give me their opinions, but I pick-and-choose those I know are well versed in tactical gear. Someone asking for free gear certainly would not get it out of my shop. Sorry, that goes for Massad Ayoob as well...

From time to time I will give a "prototype" to one of my friends in law enforcement to put through the gauntlet. With them, I know where the holster is and I know they will give me feedback on it. I also know they are willing to truly test it for design, retention and durability. Some of them come back to me looking like they were drug behind a car and still functional.

I say all that to say, I wouldn't offer up a free holster to someone you don't know and expect much of a return. In my experience the majority of people I run into at gun stores are more likely to buy the nylon, one size fits all rig than a quality custom. Don't think this guy just hanging out at gun stores is going to be a worthwhile marketing platform.

With my MC gear I reserve testing for clients that I have noticed are more knowledgeable about the bike in question. This assures me that not only will the piece get an honest & thorough review but if you think you get a good testimonial from a client who likes your work, try a client who likes your work, has paid for it and then gotten a tester to keep. I also need my client's help designing new pieces from time to time due to access limitations to certain bikes. For those that will endure my questions and requests for measurements, etc. they receive the first one of the new line as a thank you for their help.

I sent out free leather rifle rests I was developing to a couple people years ago and was promised that I'd receive thoughtful reviews that I could use on my website. Never happened. I always got great feedback, but nothing lengthy to add to my website. I stopped giving out free stuff after that.

Now, if someone with a really well known name (TV personality, YouTube user with a lot of videos/followers, blogger with a lot of readers, etc.) contacted me about a review, I'd probably feel differently if the person has a track record of reviewing products. That's a much broader audience than some guy with a few buddies at a gun store.

I actually get requests like this all the time. My standard reply is:

"If I comp you a holster, your review would be a paid review. I would prefer to keep my reviews non-paid at this time."

I learned my lesson with that one. A 'writer' said he was writing a new book and wanted to feature a holster of mine. He sure was chatty until he received the holster. I tried to follow up several months ago but never got a response. Not even a "Thanks".

I learned my lesson with that one. A 'writer' said he was writing a new book and wanted to feature a holster of mine. He sure was chatty until he received the holster. I tried to follow up several months ago but never got a response. Not even a "Thanks".

I had a VERY similar request a few months ago, but never sent anything out... sent you a PM on that just out of curiosity.

I also need to add that I have given holsters out for free! I made a few for some of the guys at one of our local gun shops. They have sent me a lot of local business and are great about handing out my business cards, etc... So I figured I owed them ;) Plus, they are instuctors, gunsmiths, etc... so their feedback is always helpful.

In the past i would sometimes send a piece of what ever i was working on with a customers order and ask for their thoughs on how it worked, how they liked it, never heard back from a single person. So for now i have a couple blogers that i will send something to and that's it. I do get feedback from them and some sales. Had one person ask for around $500.00 of stuff. They didn't get anything !!

I had the same thing happen but I am very hard headed. I had a person ask me to make a fully floral carved belt in a specific size and send it to the UK as a sample. I advised them that all samples are located in the pictures on my website.

Frank

The big problem here is that many people that ask for a T&E piece are just posers looking for something for free . One option you could give them is to send them a holster for "testing " at normal or reduced price and offer to refund the money after the holster is returned a condition that it can be resold ( yes I know most are custom ) . I have requested and received several items for T&E purposes , however when I do so I am always willing to buy the item with the ability to return it or if the company is willing to send me something for free I always ask them if they would like the item returned after testing . Most items that I have had to do T&E with do receive normal & reasonable wear & tear , I try to do testing down range (as in a combat zone ) or at a class that I am either taking or teaching because that is the only way that I can really put things thru their paces . I have found that as an instructor many students will look at what I am using and go the same route or ask me about different products on the market . That is one reason that I try to get T&E pieces , I feel that as an instructor I should be able to give my students a true and educated answer about gear that their life will depend on . Now this really applies more to tactical gear and duty gear more than a custom holster but you see where I am coming from . I would never ask a custom holster maker to send me something for free but I have sent several holsters back after the fit not being what was promised on the phone ...

I have tried holsters from most of the big names out there and only found one or 2 that delivered on the fit he promised , now that was several years ago and I must say that I have seen several peoples work on here that looks like it rivals the big names out there . My holster search was pre internet well before I had it anyway ..........LOL

Just my 2 cents worth