dirtclod

Why Why Why ?

Why is it people have to repost every thing that has been said to answer a question or ask another question over and over ? It makes the treads long and hard to read. Plus i'm sure that folks on dial up hate it because it takes awhile to load espically if their are pictures. One more thing it takes up space and waste band width. It used to not be to bad but now i know if some people have posted i'm going to have to look at the other person comments again and again.

About two inches below where it says reply theirs another box that says add reply if you will use it what ever you say will be buy it's self with out every thing that was said before. If you must hit reply highlight what the other person said and hit back space. PLEASE !!! It's just good manners.

All right i'm done with my speach / rant and i walk away shakeing my head.

Yes, Yes, Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss "Add Reply" Stop the quoting, we need some Board Etiquette..... Way to go Great Post.......................

Why is it people have to repost every thing that has been said to answer a question or ask another question over and over ?

Or...Get the hang of how to shorten the quote and just leave the essential maybe? :-)

Or...Get the hang of how to shorten the quote and just leave the essential maybe? :-)

Agreed, plus I like to reply with quote a) because sometimes there are multiple possibilities to whom you may be replying to. b.) because the person gets a notification that somone quoted them, I find this useful when it's me being quoted.

imo, if the option is there, it's meant to be used. Secondly, and no offense intended, people on dialup seem pretty few and far between these days. Text will not create much more in terms of bandwidth. Pictures and HUGE pictures do for sure, but that's another whole topic.

Kevin

Edited by Phatdaddy

Phatdaddy i agree sometimes a quote makes things easier to keep up espically if it's a really long thread. But i don't agree when somebody quotes every time they have something to say. Their are a few people on here that i don't think they have EVER answered a question without quoteing the other person giant pictures and all.

As far as getting a email every time that somebody has quoted something i have said, it's just another email for me to delete. Not that it happens very often. Generally when i read the threads i see if another person has quoted me.

I don't know about Canada but around where i live their lots of people on dial up and i'm guessing it's the same way in other parts of the country and world. It's not that they want to be but that's the way things are. They don't want to pay a 100.00 a month for satallite internet even if they have satallite tv and i don't blame them the wireless internet is hit and miss you maybe able to get it you live on a hill but if you live in low spot your out of luck. This form isn't just a North American form either, their are people from all over the world and i have no ideal what type of internet connection they have. Maybe dial up maybe DSL or something else.

With 2500 people looking at this site a day i'm guessing bandwidth use is pretty durn high and it all adds up pretty quick to i would think.

Still on dialup? That's like one step faster than smoke signals.

It probably does get abused, but sometimes it's a good way to identify the post that you're referring to.

People should also take into consideration that you can delete parts of the quote you attach. If there's only one part that you want to show, delete the rest.

I reply that way sometimes. I didn't know it offended someone. I just thought it is weird when 5 or 6 are talking to just post something without addressing to whom the message is for. :NEWFUNNYPOST:

I think the point is that, that is the only way some people reply. I can understand if you want to convey a part of the message to someone several post up or insure that they know you quoted them......Email. However, you can, like has been previously said, edit to use only the needed material. Watch some posts. Somebody will write War and Piece for a reply and the very next person will reply with quoted text and write "I like that" Give me a break. I watch allot what goes on here on my phone. And when folks continue to post useless quotes, all it does is eat up the page.I really see no reason to quote the author of the post unless you need to address a specific point. Notifying them is a mute point. They should be following thier own post, right. If not then why write it. I will quote replies in my posts so that I can continue the conversation with the individual who posted. There are people on here who quote themselves:rolleyes2:

Edited by Bluesman

Why is it people have to repost every thing that has been said to answer a question over and over ? It makes the treads long and hard to read. Plus i'm sure that folks on dial up hate it because it takes awhile to load espically if their are pictures.

All right i'm done with my speach / rant and i walk away shakeing my head.

I'll tell you why Dirtclod. Because if you quote it sends the person you quoted an email. that way you can participate but NOT have every post in the entire thread sent to you. I've tried the "follow this thread" thing and I swear when you get a particularly chatty thread you can get upwards of 30 emails from leatherworker.net notifying you of the new content.

I agree however that sometimes it would be more intelligent if people took the time to delete at least some portion of the quote... especially those posts with huge pictures.

Secondly... Good manners are relative in this forum as you and I have both seen. lol

I do understand your issue with this however I intend to continue to quote though I promise to shorted the amount of text and pictures when I remember. :P

You can also watch a topic which alerts you. No quoting required.

Sylvia

If you go to the form page and scroll down right above where it says active members today. It says today's active content click on that and it will send you a page with all of the topics and post over the last 24 hours. Then if you want more click at the bottom of that page on the right hand side and it has 48 hours up to a years worth of topics and post. No emails or anything else just topics and post that have been made. Found out about this feature about a month ago.

Edited by dirtclod

Now that is cool. Really a nice feature. Now I can browse what's new for the whole site.

Jon

They quote it because they can. I quote when there's a lot on the thread and I'm responding to one person in particular and then I only quote the relevant bits. It's all just preference.

You can also shut off the email notification on quotes in the settings here.

Boy! the things folks find to "Yammer" about. Get a life guys! You don't have to read it!

whole site.

NOTICE!!!!!! I deleted your, almost entire post. Is that better? LOL

ferg

No we don't have read it ! But we have to scroll through it giant pictures and all !

Email notification aside ( I have mine turned off), a simple @dirtclod is an easy way to address whos post you are answering. For daily members and 1 clicks page loads of new content I like the view new content link at the top right of every page.

@TexasJack Thank the heavens I dont use smoke signals anymore. hehe

You can also watch a topic which alerts you. No quoting required.

Yes, bluesman. Please re-read my post above.... I know.... and I have also gotten 30 emails from the system because I watched a particularly chatty forum. To me that many emails is more annoying than some dope quoting long posts with pictures.