freak

pick and flick or blow and throw

People of the forums can you hear me ? Came a voice from the sky on a magical niiiiigggghttttt. All at once.....Sorry got a tune stuck in me head.

Have you ever over thought a project. I try to keep things simple. Simple seems , for the most part, work best and if something ever needs to be fixed it's a simple fix. I've started playing paintball recently. I just love to legally shot the carp out of people. Anyway i'm using a compressed air tank (70ci/4500psi chubby) . We want talk about the price of these tanks but after paying for one i could not justify spending another $30- $50 for a tank wrap (cover) . I've been toying with this off and on. I think i've been over thinking it WAYYYY to much. I've pretty much gone back to my original idea. This is pretty rough as most of you will see. Like the tittle reads this is the prototype or in the leatherworker world, " pattern". I need to make two of these for a friend and myself. I'm hoping i can sell a few at the paintball fields we play at.

This is a pic showing it from a few diff angles.

tankpt07.jpg

Now when i make the "real deal" i think i'll basket weave the lace. Attach my zipper better, that was me first. I think i might make one with 2 or 3 straps instead of a zipper and i'll ofcourse clean me edges up. I think it would look great if it was stitched instead of laced but to tell ya the truth i hate hand sticking. Way to many holes to line up.

I'm open to other ways to make this or just improvements on this pattern.

More pics for anyone that likes to just look at pic.

Thanks for looking and for any feed back, opinions, critiquing and comments.

"Not unless rounds funny". Name the movie that line came from.

tankpt02.jpg

tankpt04.jpg

tankpt05.jpg

tankpt06.jpg

tankpt03sm.jpg

post-158-1216577193_thumb.jpg

post-158-1216577829_thumb.jpg

post-158-1216577842_thumb.jpg

post-158-1216577851_thumb.jpg

post-158-1216577862_thumb.jpg

post-158-1216577874_thumb.jpg

That is wicked looking! Cool design and practical.

ArtS

Freak - The antique looks really cool.

I will TRY to explain a half baked idea- :Lighten:

Instead of a zipper - replace with velcro in the same place. Wrap your center piece the entire way around adding an extension for a flap. Use the flap for the other side of your velcro. Start and then stop your basket weave where the flap starts. That should get you lined up with your snap flap. The lacing will not be connected.

tankpt02suggestion.jpg

Just an idea. I haven't used velcro on leather - but you should be able to glue it down - eliminating some sewing.

If I can be more confusing - just ask.

How will paint from the paintball affect the leather - does it stain?

Raising Arizona.

Crystal

post-6163-1216608888_thumb.jpg

i agree with crystal.

velcro or snaps would really improve the look.

Freak - The antique looks really cool.

How will paint from the paintball affect the leather - does it stain?

Raising Arizona.

Crystal

I totally get what you're saying Crystal. I'll try that on the next one, after the one that's on the table now is done. LOL ! Already cut and dyed.

I don't think the paint from the paintballs will affect the leather once it's sealed. Most places won't let you use certain brands of paint for the stain reason and it causes mold on their park. I'm more concerned with the fact that i'm using eco flo dye. We play in the rain and mud sometimes. Guess this will be a true test of dye.

LOL !! That's just to freakin funny you know what movie that's from. YOU ROCK !!

Thanks for the input.

I totally get what you're saying Crystal. I'll try that on the next one, after the one that's on the table now is done. LOL ! Already cut and dyed.

I don't think the paint from the paintballs will affect the leather once it's sealed. Most places won't let you use certain brands of paint for the stain reason and it causes mold on their park. I'm more concerned with the fact that i'm using eco flo dye. We play in the rain and mud sometimes. Guess this will be a true test of dye.

LOL !! That's just to freakin funny you know what movie that's from. YOU ROCK !!

(Thanks - how come that is never the final question on Jeopardy??)

Thanks for the input.

Just glad to finally be able to come up with 2 cents worth of a thought to pass on...

With the colors you are using - a camo pattern would be neat. Camo-skulls???

Crystal

That's killer. I agree with Crystal, velcro would be good instead of a zipper. Very cool looking skull. Are there any parts of the gun itself that would take a cover without messing anything up? You'll be a big hit at the paintball park. (Pun intended)

I think it looks super and like how it came out with this lacing style.

Heck, if it were mine I'd just try to fix that velcro strap and go as it is.

Would be interesting to see how it looks a after a couple of years in mudservice.

Tom

FREAK, THIS IS GREAT BRO!!! I love the color and the assembly of it. Maybe you can put a chain and hook of some type to close the flap. Something antique or brass? I totally love this piece.

:You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thank you all !!! I started making the next one off of this pattern. Even thought it's the same zipper design i think it's gonna look alot better being done rite and clean. Same colors but with very simple flames. My first time to basket weave and i'll have to pull the bottom off and try that one again. LOL i don't know what i did but it aint prudy, ain't purdy at all LOL !! Think i might of missed me hole count or missed a hole somewhere. Can't wait to get this one done so i can do the next one and add some of the ideas all of ya have given.

Edited by freak

I love it. I used to play paintball. If you want to call it play. My gun was a $1,100 dollar auto cocker. Also had a tippman that would unleash 15 to 20 balls per second. " RT Trigger" Yes I said 15 to 20 PER second. They wouldn't let me use it in tourny play.