I haven't been on in a while, and i decided that I should post up a new belt for everyone to critique.

202268_503267886365715_1502461497_o.jpg

This belt consists of two layers of 6-7 oz. Herman Oak, tooled on the top and finger carved on the inside. I used #138 thread at around 11 spi.

Wow, Verrrrry Nice! I really like the way you even tooled the keeper...

Your work looks fantastic!!!

Bob

Very nice! Do you have a picture of the inside? Were the layers glued first before sewing? I like it:)

Very nice! Do you have a picture of the inside? Were the layers glued first before sewing? I like it:)

The liner was contact cemented after the top was tooled and dyed and after trimming the liner, I finger carved the liner, then stitched.

483187_503230666369437_1600301036_n.jpg

Made comment before, but again....cool work and I love the"finger carving"....super clean!!

James

Thanks for explaining and for the picture! Very nice work.

What machine do you use to sew your belts?

Do you glue your belts to a pice of plexiglass before you case it to prevent shrinking? I know its recommended for sheridan tooling on book covers and such but i wasn't sure if it was used for belts that are tooled or stamped? Thanks again. DC

I use a Cobra Class 4 on almost everything now.

I have a Cobra Class 4, but have not tried 138 thread. What size needle are you using and do you use the standard shuttle hook?

Do you glue your belts to a pice of plexiglass before you case it to prevent shrinking? I know its recommended for sheridan tooling on book covers and such but i wasn't sure if it was used for belts that are tooled or stamped? Thanks again. DC

I use painters tape on the back of my belts, it keeps them from distorting

I have a Cobra Class 4, but have not tried 138 thread. What size needle are you using and do you use the standard shuttle hook?

Off the top of my head, I think I'm using a 21 needle and yes I am using the standard shuttle hook. You just have to play with the tension for a while, but if you can get it set properly you can sew about any thickness with minimal adjustment. I have sewn with 69 thread on my cobra and have had no problems or skipped stitches.

Truly beautiful work Jarret - from design to dye.

Very beautiful work.

I have opened this thread up about 35 times, and still cannot get over how amazing this belt looks. I didn't think it could have been any cooler until I saw the shot of the inside...

It's bitter sweet. I love looking at it and it gives me a goal to work towards, however it's so damned nice it makes me want to pack everything up and quit, because I am worried I won't achieve that goal.

Simply amazing... I am elated that you decided to share it.

Very very very nice work love the attention to detail inside and the tooling makes me want to make one nowYou_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Thanks to everyone for the great compliments, I just wish I could get some more critiquing. This thing is far from perfect, I'm still a newb (tooling for a year and a half).

This thing is far from perfect,

Who says your work is far from perfect? I think there are a lot of folks here that would Totally disagree with you and actually envy your

talent and accomplishments. Believe me and all others that have commented here...... Your work is Superior and you should not be dismayed

that there are no complaints or critiquing. Your work is Very Good! Very Very Very Good!

If you have only been tooling for 1 1/2 years - it is Exciting to think what you are going to accomplish...

Edited by LNLeather

Who says your work is far from perfect? I think there are a lot of folks here that would Totally disagree with you and actually envy your

talent and accomplishments. Believe me and all others that have commented here...... Your work is Superior and you should not be dismayed

that there are no complaints or critiquing. Your work is Very Good! Very Very Very Good!

If you have only been tooling for 1 1/2 years - it is Exciting to think what you are going to accomplish...

Thank you!!

I agree with Cheryl

Charlie

Truly exquisite... Your customer surely will be happy.

Sharp!

Thanks to everyone for the great compliments, I just wish I could get some more critiquing. This thing is far from perfect, I'm still a newb (tooling for a year and a half).

Hi Jarret,

It does look very nice to me but if you want a critique then my eye will find it!.... the first thing I noticed was that the decorative cuts on the outside of the belt look a bit "lost" and don't flow with the design. My understanding of floral is that everything should "flow".

The only other thing that I noticed was that mules foot was too big or tapped too hard as it is out of proportion with the design.

I too am a newb and very rarely carve floral but maybe this post will get some of the more experienced carvers to post or you could post this in "critique my work" for more response?

Keep up the great work though!

All the best

Bigfootleather