Iron Pounder

How To Glue Up Without Getting It Where I Don't Want

I have a wallet that I'm trying to do that the pockets will be very close to each other and I need to glue them to hold until I get it stitched. Trouble is I only have 3/16" of an inch and when I glue it up it closes the pocket too much. This is cow embossed to look like gator so it is not smooth. I've not used any tape before but wondering if a very strong sewing tape would work. Any advice would be great.

I have a wallet that I'm trying to do that the pockets will be very close to each other and I need to glue them to hold until I get it stitched. Trouble is I only have 3/16" of an inch and when I glue it up it closes the pocket too much. This is cow embossed to look like gator so it is not smooth. I've not used any tape before but wondering if a very strong sewing tape would work. Any advice would be great.

put scotch tape along the edge to block the "un-glued" part. Use contact cemet on both pieces- dry and remove tape.

pete

Pete, that's a great idea and I will try it right now but wondering if the glue will bleed over some when I push the two parts together. Maybe I just put too much glue on. I will try and put less on than I normally do and use the tape.

Pete, that's a great idea and I will try it right now but wondering if the glue will bleed over some when I push the two parts together. Maybe I just put too much glue on. I will try and put less on than I normally do and use the tape.

It won't bleed if you use contact cement and let it dry. Smear it on with your finger tip for such a narrow piece. That small a section and it should be dry in less than a minute. Check it to see if it is tacky or better yet, dry feeling.

FWIW iron pounder I dip the non pointy end of a toothpick into glue and place a few spots to hold the pockets together before stitching.

I use Q-tip type things that are made for applying make-up. One end is shaped like a Q-tip and the other is pointed. It is denser than a Q-tip and doesn't turn into mush immediately. I don't know about tape, I'm afraid it will take something off the leather or leave something on the leather, but people do seem to use it. You might try thinning your glue, something like that, I would use two coats of thin glue.

Good luck,

Kevin

Those of you who use DAP WeldWood, what do you thin it with?

... I've not used any tape before but wondering if a very strong sewing tape would work. Any advice would be great.

I use this all the time:

http://www.wawak.com...e-1-4-x-60-yds/

Got the idea from Wiz

Bob Stelmack

www.pslac.org

Edited by stelmackr

I regularly glue up very narrow areas.

I use plumber's acid brushes purchased from Harbor Freight, . . . http://www.amazon.com/Harbor-Freight-Horsehair-Bristle-Brushes/dp/B006ZBD95Q

I use straight Weldwood.

Just take your time, . . . it'll work out.

May God bless,

Dwight

I use cheap craft paint brushes for weldwood or laminate type glues. About a # 2 I cut the end square with my serrated scissors so it holds the bristles . this gives me a glue line about 1/8 - 3/16, as mentioned above take your time it will work out. don't throw the brush away. It will get hard when it drys, however it will turn soft again when you use it again. just flatten the tip and let it dry. Brush last a long time.

This is what I found works very well for wallet interiors.

http://springfieldleather.com/25969/Tape%2CSeamstick-Basting%2C1-4%22/

I go to the sewng store like JoAnn's and get the seam tape. It comes in different widths and will hold really well while you sew...........and won't ooze out on the edges.

Got the hint from Kevin King who happens to make a LOT of wallets

I have successfully used masking tape and painters tape

If you want to use contact cement, thin it out a lot so it is easier to control. Place it in a very thin line (use Q-Tip if necessary), and wait till it dries. Put on another coat if not shiny when dry. Or cheat and use Seamstick tape, it works just fine. Get Seamstick at Rochford Supply, or ask Kevin, he may carry it (you'd be suprised what he has at Springfield). I find it hard (impossible for me) to get a zipper in straight without it.

Art

Can you thin contact cement with Xylene?