bluesman1951

I Dont Like Change Not One Bit !

I'm doing some diagnostics and some tweaking. I'm the reason it's dragging at the moment. I'll be done in a few hours, and then all should be well. Thanks for letting me know.

I don't like the "New and Improved" Leatherworker.net a bit !!!!!! Pages take far too long to load. It wasn't broke, so ya should not have tried to fix it !!! Or maybe the thinking was, "It ain't broke, so we'll fix it until it is !!!" Ya shoulda left it alone......

Yes, there is a "Mark Community Read" link at the bottom of the page in the Brown banner. This will give you a dropdown menu with different choices.

Art

PS...is there a "Mark Forums Read" button somehwere when you "View New Content"? I'm probably looking right at it without seeing it.

Thanks.

The one thing that never changes in this world is that "change is inevitable".

My great grandfather lost his life's savings, everything: chose the wrong side in the civil war.

His son in law passed on after he did a major vocational shift. Cars killed his "blacksmith" trade, so he became a farmer, but not knowing anything about them new fangled machines, he relied on horse and mule power until he died.

My father was drafted for WW2 and released, his reading and writing skills were not sufficient for their needs, but were enough to get him by for 64 years.

Uhhh, . . . change is here, . . . just make believe it is the front porch swing, . . . flow with it, . . . don't like going backward, . . . it'll go the other way in a few seconds, . . . you can be happy then.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight, I really like the way you think... yes sirree! Go with the flow...

Ok, I'm a fuddy-duddy who dislikes change, so trying very hard to keep an open mind.

The pages do seem to load more quickly - a nice plus.

THANK YOU for keeping the brown/tan leather-ey look. The popular "sleek modern" look with lots of white space I find rather cold and impersonal. The warm tones help quite a lot.

I'm finding the new look harder to navigate; all the typeface is in black so it is not clear what is a link, what's not.

The huge popups when I inadvertently place my cursor over somebody's name or picture, is very distracting. Love to be able to turn that off. I also sure hope I can also keep private such things as how much time I'm online. Sorry to be so critical, but privacy is important to me (and I really don't want to know that much about other people, either!)

It would also be very helpful to get back the icons that tell you there are pictures associated with a thread. Saves a lot of time.

I realize a lot of time, effort, and dedication goes into making this site live, and want to extend my heartfelt thanks and appreciation for all you do! :)

Edited by wyldflower

I hate to admit it, but the older I get, the less I like change.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I really dislike the new layout and some of the new features. In particular, I find the huge popups when you cursor over someone's name (which I do by accident all the time) objectionable.

I also strongly object to how much time I'm online being recorded and publicly displayed. It's nobody's business how much time I spend online on this site. I'm one who likes her privacy, and that really bothers me. So much so I won't be visiting much now until it's gone or can turn it off.

As it was said before, it is the people on a forum that makes a forum what it is, and I don't believe there is a finer group of folks than what you find here on LW. One can get used to a new look, even if you don't like it much. But, as I mentioned some of the new things are objectionable enough that it may be I visit only when I need to, and not because I want to, and I'm saddened by that.

Is it better now?

Better than yesterday but not up to speed like it was when you first did the update. A little faster than before the update.

I have no readings or anything official, just what I see loading and how long it takes each time you change pages.

Forgot the favicon- fixed that. Shut off the "time spent" feature. Will continue to investigate speed issue.

Will you mobile device users please check the board and make sure you are getting the mobile skin displaying correctly? I want to make sure that is working fine before Tapatalk goes on. Thanks!

Display is blue. Each post is on a relatively narrow strip. No message # like non-mobile. Thumbnails okay, and open okay. Minimal poster info, which is probably best for mobiles. No signature displayed. Thumbnails line up down the left side. I'm sure you know most of this since you must be picking what you think fits for the template.

I viewing from an iPad in landscape mode.

I think it is looking pretty good. Don't forget the color!

CTG

I'm finding updates real slow at the moment, whether it is increased site traffic this time of day or something else.

I did get a couple SQL errors today, one when loading a picture from a thumbnail, the other when selecting a link from related similar topics. Both worked when retrying the link.

CTG

I hate to admit it, but the older I get, the less I like change.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I really dislike the new layout and some of the new features. In particular, I find the huge popups when you cursor over someone's name (which I do by accident all the time) objectionable.

I also strongly object to how much time I'm online being recorded and publicly displayed. It's nobody's business how much time I spend online on this site. I'm one who likes her privacy, and that really bothers me. So much so I won't be visiting much now until it's gone or can turn it off.

As it was said before, it is the people on a forum that makes a forum what it is, and I don't believe there is a finer group of folks than what you find here on LW. One can get used to a new look, even if you don't like it much. But, as I mentioned some of the new things are objectionable enough that it may be I visit only when I need to, and not because I want to, and I'm saddened by that.

When you sign in you have 2 choices

1. Remember me

and

2. Sign in anonymously (Don't add me to the active users list)

If you don’t want others to see when you are online here, you should choose 1 and 2.

hope this helps....... :thumbsup:

I was doing a lot today, and am probably responsible for the sql errors. I'm just about done "under the hood", so I think these errors will go away. At one point today the whole server went down for a few moments. I think my heart stopped beating and I broke out into a cold sweat. I took off the mod that allows you to see your time spent on the forum. Some boards have members that get a kick out of knowing. I turned it on about 4pm yesterday, and off about the same time today. Unless you folks want it back, it's gone. The popups are intended to be a convenience. I will look for a way to allow members to use them or not. There may be a mod for that. The mobile skin is blue by default. I can put colors on it and make the icons spiffier, but I want to get the Gallery sorted and a couple odds and ends done first before I start skinning our phones. The favicon is back- but I had to hit F5 half a dozen times for my browser to figure it out. Give it time, and the cow will return.

Please keep the feedback coming. I want this board to be flexible enough to let you use it your way, and easy enough to use that no one smashes their keyboard with a hammer. Let me know if you notice any errors or bad links. I'm pretty sure we're good, but I can always use the extra eyes. I know some folks don't like change, but there are many security improvements that came along with this update, and that alone is worth the hassle. You might get cooties from FB, but you won't get it from LW.

As far as the speed goes- we're a lot faster at page loading than we were on the old board, and I'm not done optimizing yet. It should keep on improving. Let me know if you continue to have any issues with pages loading.

~J

Johanna, I like the board and my pages do load faster. I like being able to shut of the FB crap and that's about all that was bothering me. I don't come here to talk religion, politics, or even sex although all these handsome men float around here :-) I come to talk leather....all aspects from designs I'm working on that aren't working to the totally off topic which some how seems to be about leather most of the time. I asked for help and give it and when someone else asks for help on something I can answer I give it. What more could you ask for from this diverse group of enormously talented folk that I want to be like someday. Cheryl

Hi Johanna..

Just viewing the site on my mobile now..

Samsung Galaxy SII on Android.

The site looks and loads the same as if I was using my pc..

Terrible.. :(

Nah..Joking.!! :) lol.?? ;)

Everything is brown and I'm having a much better experience than when we had the old site, whilst using my mobile..

The headers take a short while to load, but besides that, each image loads quite well and I can use the 'two fingered zoom' (no, not a euphemism..lol..) on my screen to easily resize text and pics..

Posting is also easier..the text, stays all the same size (it used to look larger in places when I was typing..lol)

So,overall,a good experience and also a better one, so far on Android.. :)

Thumbs up, well done.!! :)

Hope this helps..

Take care..

Regards

Phil

ps. Hmmm.. Just found one thing.. I went to quote someone when posting a reply and it doesn't put the quote in the text box too..

Edited by Horrrk

You got me, Phil! :surrender:

Thanks for the kind words. I'm trying. :thankyou:

You got me, Phil! :surrender:

Thanks for the kind words. I'm trying. :thankyou:

:) Sorry Johanna, I couldn't resist..lol :rofl:

Regards

Phil

Will continue to investigate speed issue.

Yes, please do !!!!!! Like a wise man once said, "Grandma was slow, but she was OLD !!!" New and improved should not be this slow.....

Is anyone other than Cascabel experiencing slow loading of pages? I'm hearing that the board is much faster than it was, and it certainly is at my computer.

Yesterday afternoon I counted 17 seconds to load the main page.

10 seconds to load the main page now. As a referance, craigslist loads in less than one second.

Edited by electrathon

I have noticed that around certain times of the day is when my computer loads pages slower.

During the week it is 8:30am to 9:30, around noon to 1:pm, around 3;pm and then around 8:pm.

these times coincide with when people get to work, take breaks and then after dinner - as in when

the most people are all on-line.

I wonder if the slow loading maybe has nothing to do with this site.....

I wonder if the slow loading maybe has nothing to do with this site.....

Of course it is a posability. But when almost every other site on the net loads faster than this site, the fingers point at this one. As I said, this site, 10 seconds, craigs list, less than one.

Before the big crash this site always loaded well. After the crash the software was changed and things hit the brakes. When this update happened the other day things were faster. As more and more was altered and added, things slowed again. It is still faster than a couple weeks ago, but dead slow compared to the modern internet. I am not a tech person. I have no real data except a second hand on a watch. My guess is that the software is clumsly written so things talk longer than it needs to. Also there is so much fluff loaded that layer after layer needs to load, it all takes time. I generally try to stay off the main page, I go to "view new content" and if I do not see it there I figure it is lost. The pages load faster that way.

I am not complaining. I know that this site is ran by volunteers. Just a statement, the question was asked.

Just to give an example....... I clicked on LEATHERWORKER.NET at the top of this page, and it took a full minute and 56 seconds for the page to open. I consider it fully opened when I am able to scroll the page. Apparently there is LOTS of garbage loading in the background. This is the only website that I have problems with. It used to work fine before the "improvements" !!!