bluesman1951

I Dont Like Change Not One Bit !

I have tried every browser, several different computers and 2 different ISPs and always the board is faster now than it was before the update. On my computer it's point and click. Cascabel, there is not a lot of "garbage" loading in the background- actually a lot less is loading compared to the old board. What kind of computer do you have? Connection? What kind of browser do you use? Have you cleared your cookies recently? Anyone else experiencing slow page loading times? Almost all the mail to me mentions how much faster the board is now, so I am eager to troubleshoot the problem. Even during peak periods, no page is taking longer than 3 seconds to load for me.

~J

It does load faster than it used to 3 weeks ago. It is slower than it was when the update was first done. It is a lot slower than every other forum I try.

Computer is less than a year old that I am on (and have tried from 2 other computers. Fastest cable internet I can get. Running explorer.

As I have stated before, I am not a tech, but this board was before and continues to be the slowest forum to navigate that I go to. I do understand that possibly I can reconfigure my computer to be able to run this one forum faster (don't know how, just acepting that it is a posibility). It does seem that when the rest of the internet runs perfectly it is likely not on this end.

The fact that people are commenting on the speed differance screams that something was/is really wrong. Modern internet should load so fast that a doubling of the speed should be almost undetectable. A slow site that takes 3 seconds to load going to 2 seconds makes small differance. A dirt slow site that takes 15 second to load going to 10 seconds is a huge noticable improvement, but still horibly slow.

I just went through my favorites file and clicked into many random sites. 3 seconds was the slowest, many in less than one second to load. I then clicked into the main forum page and it took 8 seconds.

Edited by electrathon

I have it saved to favorites. Mine is running about 3 seconds per page to load. I use a cellular modem through Verizon. Once in a while on any site, there can be a "lag-time" when I click to go to a new page, It may be anywhere from 3-10 seconds but once it starts the page loads in about 3 seconds. A few forums are faster for me. They are the ones with plain Jane headers and no avatars. Some load slower that have more header ads.

Mobile site on HTC One X is fine. Blue in colour and all sections and log in work fine.

I have tried every browser, several different computers and 2 different ISPs and always the board is faster now than it was before the update. On my computer it's point and click. Cascabel, there is not a lot of "garbage" loading in the background- actually a lot less is loading compared to the old board. What kind of computer do you have? Connection? What kind of browser do you use? Have you cleared your cookies recently? Anyone else experiencing slow page loading times? Almost all the mail to me mentions how much faster the board is now, so I am eager to troubleshoot the problem. Even during peak periods, no page is taking longer than 3 seconds to load for me.

~J

A bit faster now....... One minute and 12 seconds on average to change pages. I have an HP Pavilion, running Windows XP, using Internet Explorer for a browser, Cookies cleared out every day, ATT DSL service. The only other pages I have problems with are ones that are loaded up with advertising, which Leatherworker.net is not. For instance, I quit using Yahoo because all the advertising caused the pages to load very slowly.

I never had any speed issues with the old board at all. It's only been since the "improvements".....

I'm sorry you are having this problem, but I can't replicate it. Speed testing services show room for improvement, but in fractions of a second. I will continue to try to find a solution for your problem.

I'm in Vista with FF, and have also tried Chrome, using DSL LITE. All pages are loading fine, much faster than before......on one of the computers. The computer I'm on right now has additional lag times, but I'm 100% sure that it's this computer. More often than not, the computer shows considerable lag time for 'on screen' commands, like scrolling a window, clicking, etc. I am typically typing blind, waiting for the words to appear. It does this with EVERY web page, including gmail, and even does it when I'm offline and in a word processor.

I mention this to point out the possibility that some of the lag time experienced may be platform based instead of web page based.

I asked Kate, our highly skilled Server Administrator, to look into this also.

My performance monitoring service reports the main forum page is loading in 4-7 seconds. That is faster than 33% of all the sites tested. The New Content page is loading in 3-4 seconds on average, faster than 60% of all other sites tested. Not bad, but could be better.

And then she made some excellent suggestions that I will be following up on to try to get the very best performance out of our board.

:thankyou:

Thank you Kate and everyone else who is helping to transition our board into the latest and greatest! Keep the feedback coming!

~J

Joanna, you just plain super ROCK!

My computer is an old clunker, so I expect lag and longer loading times. The faster load is quite noticeable.

I'm looking forward to when you can play with colors again. I don't know if any other users are noticing eye-strain, but I am. I think it is all the white space coupled with the smaller font? I know on the main forum page, the grey text on white is hard on the eyes.

Oh, and did I mention Joanna and the LW Tech Team ROCK?! :)

Forgot the favicon- fixed that. Shut off the "time spent" feature. Will continue to investigate speed issue.

This feature seems to have returned. :dunno:

I, for one, like the time spent feature. And there's ways to turn it off, individually, if you don't like it.

I, for one, like the time spent feature. And there's ways to turn it off

How? Out of curiosity, I have looked around and can't figure that one out... :dunno:

How? Out of curiosity, I have looked around and can't figure that one out... :dunno:

Neither can I, Cheryl.. I rarely actually click on the sign out button..I just close the browser on my pc and I'm also logged in on my phone, so I've clocked up some impressive hours already..lol :)

Regards

Phil

Neither can I, Cheryl.. I rarely actually click on the sign out button..I just close the browser on my pc and I'm also logged in on my phone, so I've clocked up some impressive hours already..lol :)

Regards

Phil

Morning Phil

Yah, me too... I never sign out... A lot of the time my computer is just on and I am out.

I did look at the help files, and could not find an answer there either...

I did find something about something called "My Assistant" that is (and I quote directly from the Help files)

"The 'My Assistant' feature can be accessed by clicking the link of the same name in the board header. This tool provides quick links to many important areas on the board, as well as quick access to common features.

My Assistant has four seperate feature tabs:

• Information - this tabs offers links to the overall and daily Top Ten posters, as well as your last ten posts on the board. You can also click to view the Moderation Team.

• New Posts - will show you a link to any new posts made since your last visit, and how long ago they were posted.

• Search - using this, you can search the forum basically the same way the standard search function works. This box will show you the number of results, and allow you to click to view them

• Recent PMs - on this tab, you can view your 5 most recent PMs and when they were received.

The My Assistant is also used when a new PM arrives. If you have selected to be notified when a new PM is received, the My Assistant box will appear on your screen displaying your new PM."

I was hoping My Assistant would help, but I don't find anything in the board header that says My Assistant...

* Hey, no biggie - eventually we will get this all figured out...

I know Johanna is workiin hard to get this all fixed up for up and

is doin a Grrrrrreat job of it too!

Edited by LNLeather

Good morning Cheryl, or is it rather late for you.?? :)

Yeah , give us time and we'll find the bits and bobs that tweak things..lol

My hours counter freaked me temporarily, til I thought how little I actually sign out.. :)

It's all good and I think the forum is great.. It's the first leatherwork one I found and it seemed such a friendly place, the coffee is good and the company too, so I stayed.. ;)

Whilst doing Google searches on different topics, I've come across other sites with leatherwork areas, but they don't hold a candle up to this one for helpfulness and variety of expertise covering such a wide array of topics.. The people are amazing..

I feel another coffee coming on..lol ;)

Regards

Phil

Good morning Cheryl, or is it rather late for you.?? :)

Yeah , give us time and we'll find the bits and bobs that tweak things..lol

My hours counter freaked me temporarily, til I thought how little I actually sign out.. :)

Johanna

Could you please turn off the time online feature? I can't find anywhere to edit it so I think it must be a moderator item.

Thanks

Rosemary

Hi, Love the new software. Is there anyway to change the "type" of window we post in so that firefox recognizes that it is a window it should spell check?

I cant spell well at all and it would be nice to be able to use the spell checker again in FireFox. Since the new board the firefox spell checker does not work for me here. It does work in other forums. Firefox says that the post window is set to a type it does not recognize as needing spell checking. The checker I have installed for IE9 works but Id rather look like a fool with bad spelling than have to use IE9.

I have Win 7 Firefox 15.0.1

For what it is worth I just started a new post in the belt section and the spell checker works in that post window. Just not in the reply windows. Ok I just did more checking and it only does not work in the quick reply windows. In the full editor it works fine. So place this at the bottom of the things to do. I can live with the full editor when I need to check spelling.

Thanks

Michael

Edited by mlapaglia

Change is inevitable.. Software does get updated and as it does things like forums, facebook etc have to update also or stop working.

Although it might be a nuisance initially due to a different look after a while you wont even notice, I think it is a great opportunity to explore and "click around" to see new things and maybe old things that you didnt notice before. One thing about us humans we are adaptable.

I would like to thank Johanna for the fantastic effort she puts into this forum, allways polite and helpful, a huge job and your effort is much appreciated my myself as well as a lot of others. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Change is stimulating and we should welcome it as an opportunity to learn.

Johanne

This isn't a complaint more a question. Before you FIXED this it worked fine. Now I would like to know why the pages are too wide for my screen, I have to keep scrolling 3 inches back and forth sideways to read anything. Before it was FIXED (upgraded ) the pages fit the screen. Was much easier reading before. I haven't been on here much the last several months so I'm just noticeing it now that I'm back.

This isn't a complaint more a question. Before you FIXED this it worked fine. Now I would like to know why the pages are too wide for my screen, I have to keep scrolling 3 inches back and forth sideways to read anything. Before it was FIXED (upgraded ) the pages fit the screen. Was much easier reading before. I haven't been on here much the last several months so I'm just noticeing it now that I'm back.

HI Catskin - On my (iMac) computer I can easily change the Display Settings to fix that problem you are having.

I have the Display setting on my computer set to 1680 X 1050 and can easily see everything without having to

scroll back and forth. That is something you can change in your System Preferences (under Display on a Mac)

If you are using an MS Windows system, press the key combination <ctrl> <-> (control plus the keypad minus key at the same time). Each time you do this combination, the zoom will reduce. <ctrl> <+> changes the zoom the opposite direction. <ctrl> <0> (that's 0 on the keypad) changes your zoom to 100%. Maybe try that first and see if you were zoomed in too far to start with. There has been relatively no change on my computer screen with the server software upgrade. (The old software wrapped around to fit whatever your window size was. Now it seems to have a lower limit on window width.)

Tom

Thankyou both for your suggestions, I tried both and the result was the same. By the time I got the page narrow enough to fit the screen the print was so small it was unreadable, so I guess this is the way it will be. I don't claim to know anything about computers , but still wonder why the pages can't be made to fit the screen like it does when I write an E-mail on a wide piece then change the size of the area it will automaticly make more lines of type so it still all fits the narrower space.