Hello All,

Thought I would share a couple of photos of the shooter's saddlebags I recently completed. The pattern is by Will Ghormley. I did not attempt the tooling or stamping on this one. I wanted to become familiar with the process and get better at tooling before attempting to do anything fancy. I also only added the one holster on one side. Will does a great job with his patterns and I have been impressed with each pattern I have bought by him. I used Al Stohlman brand buckles for this set from Tandy. I also used the white waxed linen thread. The leather used was not premium, so there is a lot of knap on some parts. I did not care though as it was a practice run. I still really enjoy them. I still want to sand the edges a little more and maybe add a brown edge coat or something. Any recommendations?.........................Rory

post-22189-0-36382000-1350825524_thumb.j

post-22189-0-02812100-1350825637_thumb.j

post-22189-0-95087800-1350825726_thumb.j

LIKE EM,

a cool set of bags, well done :thumbsup:

I would be proud to have those saddlebags, or to have made those saddlebags...

I doubt the cowboys of the 'good ol days' thought twice about Premium leather.

That is Fine work, mighty fine

Thanks shadowryder/LN Leather.

Those were very kind words.......Rory

Thanks shadowryder/LN Leather.

Those were very kind words.......Rory

Hello All,

Thought I would share a couple of photos of the shooter's saddlebags I recently completed. The pattern is by Will Ghormley. I did not attempt the tooling or stamping on this one. I wanted to become familiar with the process and get better at tooling before attempting to do anything fancy. I also only added the one holster on one side. Will does a great job with his patterns and I have been impressed with each pattern I have bought by him. I used Al Stohlman brand buckles for this set from Tandy. I also used the white waxed linen thread. The leather used was not premium, so there is a lot of knap on some parts. I did not care though as it was a practice run. I still really enjoy them. I still want to sand the edges a little more and maybe add a brown edge coat or something. Any recommendations?.........................Rory

I like your bags a lot . One suggestion Reverse the direction of the rivets then cut them off and leave just a bit more than normal ,cut a piece of scrap from left over bag material punch a hole same size as the rivet ,place over the rivet and now file it down to the heigth of the leather scrap . Make sure its square and flat . The scrap has set the heigth and protected the project from the file . Now use the doming tool to dome the top of the rivet . I believe you will find this and acceptable look on a finished project . Experiment a bit with the heigth going too short will not allow the domeing tool to do its job . The fileing makes all the difference ,one other thing here is the washers have a shine side and a flat side make sure they are all same side up when doing this . Things to consider what would these look like if I moved my flap strap down closer to the edge of the flap with the same technique for install ? There is a cleaner way to do the bottom buckle as well . All comments made here are made in the best spirit of the craft . I enjoy the bags greatly ,they have that classic appeal which makes them timeless . I give a big round of applause on your project and my comments are meant to be put in the "What If " catagory . This was time well spent and you have my compliments . Bill

Hi Rory.. That's a pretty decent set of saddlebags you've ended up with there.. the leather looks sturdy enough and I wouldn't worry about the quality..as Cheryl said, cowboys of old wouldn't have been bothered and to be honest I think it adds to the rugged look.

Sometimes people flock to the pretty things in life, but some things look better a bit gnarly..like old cowboys perhaps..LOL

Regards

Phil

Thanks Bill and Phil. I appreciate the comments and tips!

I like those saddlebags a lot in fact I would like to get some patterns of that style.

cool bags.....makes me want to be a Cowbooooyy!!

Thanks ST8LineGunsmith and JimBob.

I myself love watching old westerns and cowboy movies. I am no where near being a cowboy, lol. Makes me want to be one though. I always enjoy seeing saddlebags in old westerns used by "the Good, the Bad and the Ugly" :). Wish mine were full of those stacks of money.......

I Love all the westerns and I love watching Bonanza, Gunsmoke, High Chaparral, The Big Valley The Virginian, The Rifleman

the List goes on.

Clint Eastwood is a Great western Icon But The Duke is still King of the cowboys IMO. :cowboy:

anyway to get back on topic I am wanting to buy a couple of saddlebag patterns or if i can find some free patterns would be STELLAR

I love free if you know what I mean :yeah:

anyway to get back on topic I am wanting to buy a couple of saddlebag patterns or if i can find some free patterns would be STELLAR

I love free if you know what I mean :yeah:

Subtle, St8...real subtle... ;) pass me your sledgehammer for a bit will ya?? LMAO!! :)

Horrik

Well see if my subtleness pays off when someone posts some patterns :clapping::dance::thumbsup::begging:

lets put away the sledgehammer and use a 1 pound maul with repeated consecutive taps. tap tap tap tap tap tap... tap tap tap

tap tap tap... we keep taping at it long enough someone might get the hint hint. :devil:

:rofl:

Horrik

Well see if my subtleness pays off when someone posts some patterns :clapping::dance::thumbsup::begging:

lets put away the sledgehammer and use a 1 pound maul with repeated consecutive taps. tap tap tap tap tap tap... tap tap tap

tap tap tap... we keep taping at it long enough someone might get the hint hint. :devil:

:rofl:

Ahem...St8..would THIS help?? :)

Just spent half an hour searching, so 'YES' is the correct answer..LOL

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3597&hl=don101#entry51746

Originally posted by Don101..smart piccy of his finished bags and some drawings, though it's hard to see dimensions..very tidy bags though..

Regards

Phil

A pencil some poster board a set of french curves make some really nice patterns.