Zacharyc

Smooth Like Buttah

I recently just bought a 2lb mix bag of vegetable tanned leather from amazon to toy around with. HOWEVER! Both sides are pretty rough and are unburnished. I have aquired saddle soap and some gulf wax (things I am pretty sure I need). I was just curious as to the proper procedure to obtain a nice smooth surface to begin my stamping. Apologies in advance if this question has already been answered, but all I have really found is how to burnish the edges. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If both sides are rough you probably got splits and you won't be able to tool them I don't think. Because when they 'split' a thicker piece of leather one piece ends up without a grain side. It's still technically veg tanned but the seller wasn't exactly being honest about the purpose. You can still use it and dye for projects, kinda like you would use a suede. I'm sorry but that's the only thing I can think of that would make it rough on both side. Cheryl

It sounds like maybe you got some split scraps or something. As if they kept the good side for themselves and sold off the flesh that was cut from the back. Do you have a picture of what it looks like to verify?

A couple of good places to buy scrap leather bundles are Zack White and Springfield Leather. All the stuff I've purchased from Zack White were pretty heavy, where Springfield's remnant bags are usually a pretty standard mix of light to heavy weight.

Pretty thin pieces. One side actually feels like little hairy bristles. Other side has rough patches along with some smooth areas.

These are splits off a thicker piece of leather. I hope you give the guy negative feedback. Cheryl

They were pretty cheap. I guess I can use them to make a little pouch for my girlfriend or something. Hopefully they will find some use in my workshop. Thanks a lot Cheryl! I'll leave him a nasty feedback to make myself feel a little better about wasting 15 bucks.

Oh of course don't waste them. You can still use it, just not for tooling. They will make some nice small projects, and make them like you wanted a 'rough out' surface which is popular on a lot of projects. 15 bucks is a small price to pay for what you already learned about leather. I've paid a lot more than that for some of my mistakes along the way and expect to pay more in the future.

OH, oh, oh, I'm getting ready to make some mocs and you turn the rough side in toward your feet. I was going to do some tooling and carving on the grain side to help them with 'grip.' This leather would be perfect for that, rough on both sides. Why not make her a pair of moccasins? There's great youtube videos on how to make them and they aren't hard. Let me see if I can copy the link for the one I have. brb. Cheryl

Here, take a look at these Zachary

Hi Zacharyc - sorry that happened to you. I just thought I'd mention in case you didn't realize it yet, but the outer layer (where the hair pores would be located) is referred to as the "grain" side. In your case (assuming you're showing the front & back of the same piece of leather), this is the side that is consistently rough looking - the bottom photo - though the grain has been completely removed so you no longer have grain on yours. The other side is the "flesh" side - the side attached to the icky stuff. This is your top photo.

Those look pretty cool. I don't know if she needs any more shoes in this house, but hey what the hell. It will be a good learning experience.

Hey, make good comfy slippers if it's something you're interested in making. I just wanted you to see you can still use your leather for things. :-) Cheryl

particle. I will definately learn from my errors. And thanks for the leather info. I am very fresh to this and I appreciate everyones help!

For reference for you. The 3lb bag is pretty good, but the shipping is about $10 or so if I remember right. Still a pretty good price though.

http://zackwhite.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16305&cat=491&page=1

The 2lb bag here is assorted and I think the shipping is about the same. You can call and email to get an exact shipping price, otherwise you'll get charged an estimate in the web checkout then receive a store credit for the difference.

http://springfieldleather.com/30018/Pieces%2CTooling%2C2-lbs-Bag/

Hey Zachary, you CAN still tool the leather if you want the practice. Its a completely different look, but I've seen it done. Of course other things like molding and stitching should be the same as well. It can't hurt to try. You may love the result! If not, it was, as you said a learning experience.

particle. I will definately learn from my errors. And thanks for the leather info. I am very fresh to this and I appreciate everyones help!

Here is some info that may help a little http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/infoandservices/leatherguide/leatherguide.aspx

Some people swear at Tandy, but I'll take their info anytime. There was another post here a couple weeks ago with a link to more leather terms and definitions. Try a search for it.

Tom

There is a type of carving that pushes the image IN (visually) rather than it standing out from the surface (again visually)....it's called INVERSE CARVING.

That would work well on that hide. You can also slick the smoother of the sides if you prefer that look. It will not behave exactly like a grain side as far as tooling, but it WILL take dye and sew pretty close. If you happen to have the tools you can also try pyrography *burning in a design) on the splits.

The 3lb bag at Zach white it 15 dollars. The shipping is 14 dollars. Whatever I just bought it. Hopefully it's not a bag full of turds like before.

If this is the item you bought http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Vegetable-Pieces-Weight-Square/dp/B004QVYQ40/ref=sr_1_4?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1351868174&sr=1-4&keywords=tanned+leather (I'm guessing since the first feedback listed is from Zach) then you got exactly what was advertised with a description of the condition of the leather

* In the tanning process, when veg tan topgrain sides are processed, the underpart of the side (known as the split) is separated and sold separately. Grainy on both sides, they are light weight (ranging approximately between 2 to 4 ounce, about 1/16" thick) with pleasantly firm hand.

Although the description of "grainy" may be misleading I'd say it was pretty straight forward.

Chalk it up to a (not too expensive) learning experience. Trust me my first leather purchase/mistake hit my wallet quite a bit harder

Horn

yup thats what i bought. you are right. the description just sounded like gibberish to me at the time so...lesson learned. i bought that stuff from zach white, got to my house in two days, and it looks awesome.

The 3lb bag at Zach white it 15 dollars. The shipping is 14 dollars. Whatever I just bought it. Hopefully it's not a bag full of turds like before.

They're pretty much all setup that way, but the shipping stays pretty much the same if you buy a bunch of other stuff, so I tend to make a list of everything I need and just wait until I have enough to order that I don't get hurt so bad on shipping. Make sure to post up what you're doing with it not that it arrived :)

I got the zach white bag. AWESOME. Thanks for pointing me in that direction brother. I got three huge pieces. A huge long strip that strangely resembles a WWF belt. And about 6 belt ends to practice on.

No problem. I searched for a while when first starting out to find some good scrap once I realized the Tandy stuff was JUNK. I still use the remnant bags for practice and small projects that don't warrant cutting into a good clean side. I just got a good bag of "exotic" remnants from Springfield too that I can't wait to start playing with :)

ooh exotic that sounds cool. What are you gonna make. I saw they had zebra print stingray on clearance. But it looks like Axel Rose would wear it.

Sorry this happened to you =(

You can keep the splits and if they are thick enough, use them for carving practice later- they will make very cheap practice material.

You can also use them for sheath welts or belt lining, etc.

Just a few ideas.