DoubleC

First Craft Show....i Actually Went, Lol

Well the craft show was interesting. I didn't realize there would be food too, thought it was all crafters. All that sold was food. I made $10.00 on a bracelet, and had two people take cards to call me about guitar straps. We were in a warehouse type building with no heat and all of us froze. I sold a 10.00 bracelet and that was $5.00 more than the other 2 crafters. That was enough to allow me to go back next week though where we're moving to a heated building. I came home, dumped my stuff, ate and slept for 12 hours. Guess the stress had been worse than even I knew. The people were all nice though and it would have been fun if I hadn't been freezing. Temp. had to be at least 35o in there, was a typical VT. day out, grey, windy but no rain thankfully. I was pretty disappointed while I was freezing but I'm ok now. One of the crafters wants a guitar strap for her Dad for Christmas too so we may do some bartering along with the price.

I think my least favorite line now in the whole world is,'Your stuff is beautiful, as someone is walking away, LOL. Thank all of you for your support. I am kinda on top of cloud nine right now because I WENT. I think next Saturday on the main street right by merchants row should be better. At least we'll be warmer :-) The dog loved it and there's another service dog there so I sat in that booth for a while because they had a heater, she's the girl that wants a strap and the dogs nosed around each other and were happy for the company. he's a darling little sheltie, very 'work' like compared to my big galumph of a dog. But they provide different services, his owner is partially blind in one eye, and mine is my meeter and greeter intended to take some of the focus off of me. next week I'll take some SS with me to do at the booth in between customers so I don't get so anxious. WinterBear made me some display boards for my necklaces a long time ago and people liked those.

Oh I forgot, I have a picture too. LOL. Knew I'd better get one to prove I went......I was still pricing things after help coming up with them from the other crafter who make paracord bracelets too among a bunch of neat wood things. She didn't get my straps in the picture, they were off to my left on an antiques slipper chair :-) It was a great experience NOW that I'm warm, fed and rested. Guess I'll post this in 'show off' too! I'm pretty glad about people taking my cards for the guitar straps and feel that at the very least I'll have one to do for the other crafter for Christmas.

Edited by DoubleC

As disappointing as you think it is, I think it was a success. Nobody but you sold something. You have the possibility of future business and you now have experience that you didn't have before. I'm proud of you for following through with your show and I'll bet you learned a few things about what to do for next time! Nice job C!

I'm not disappointed now Mike that I'm warmed up, fed and had some sleep. I'm all ready to go next week, LOL. How crazy is that!!!!

Congratulations Cheryl - The first time is always the hardest. Now you have an idea of what it is like

and it probably cant get worse than that... Cold and not enough people buying. Now you have an idea of what to expect

and you can just get busy and make more stuff to sell. No need to be anxious - I know I would have been...

I bet the First Craft Show is like leatherwork - the more you do, the easier it gets, the better you get at it.

I am glad you have a service dog that can go with you too... Dogs are great ice breakers (and a very good judge of character)

I know my dog attracts other folks that like dogs. I always have mine with me where ever I go and I always notice people

smiling at me (until I realize they are smiling at my beautiful little border collie...

Any way, Congratulations :thumbsup: and best of luck on your future Craft Shows! Now get some sleep...

Hope you remembered to set set your clocks back... :thumbsup:

LOL Cheryl, I'm working on a bracelet. I slept from 2:30 until 2AM so to wound up to sleep now. I'm not disappointed, just so happy I was able to make myself go. AND that next Saturday we're going to be in a place with heat. Thank you so much, everyone here was such a support. (Dogs are great for anxiety situations are they? I WANT people focused on her and me not so much :) Cheryl

No I didn't set my clocks back, LOL. Thanks for that TOO.

Looking good Cheryl, congratulations on doing the show.

Thank you Kevin. I really am pumped about it now. Since my 12 hours sleep I've made a bracelet, 3 bookmarks a key fob and working on a second bracelet :) Haven't been this motivated in a while. My poor little table looked so bare compared to everyone else but it was GOOD stuff so I didn't mind. Next week will have a lot more but still good stuff. Doing up some of the faster things right now though, but plan to have a third guitar strap there too. And be hand sewing a saddlebag at the booth :) Can't keep paying them to let me sit there, LOL.

You can put snaps on those book marks and call them bracelets without too much effort.

That's true, and they would make NICE bracelets too. Thanks Kevin, I think I will instead of putting them up on Etsy with a letter on. And I never thought about even making bracelets like that and I have a ton of exotics left over. You guys give me the best ideas. Cheryl

Make one for yourself and wear it at the next show.

Maybe exotic cat collars!

Edited by Tree Reaper

ahem.....

Told you you'd forget about the picture you were gonna send..... :P

I was going to wear one this time Kevin but it wouldn't have shown up much with the sweatshirt with a sweater over it someone loaned me, LOL. But I will for next week. One I really like that I can keep for me.

OMG Mike you're so right. Will do it now, LOL. Just finished my second bracelet of the night.

Edited by DoubleC

Projects I did last night. The solid brown bookmark has lizard on the back.

Hey Cheryl, keep up the work! Also, you showed us the wrong side of the blade! turn it so we can see wide part :)

Hey Cheryl, keep up the work! Also, you showed us the wrong side of the blade! turn it so we can see wide part :)

About all I'm doing is sleeping Mike. Went back to sleep about 11 and just got up. Oh I wanted to knife to be hard to figure out :) Not really though TO Mike needed to see it that way. Cheryl

Thanks David, it sure feel like it is. Cheryl

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM So you have been to seen the "Elephant" . I am wondering if a few of the things I mentioned came to pass? congradulations on learning about "compliments" they dont spend well at the local grocery store . Next to learn is the "Be Backers" LOL Welcome to the wonderful world of "Retail" This is why I do wholesale only . Glad you went thats a accomplishment for sure ,so big round of applause for that . If the show rules dont say you have to make all your own stuff ,I have a bunch of stuff that would work for you we should talk . If the rules prevent this ,Ill teach you to make a few bags and share a pattern or two . I have a bunch of stuff fondly called "Grand Ma Grabbers " LoL see if you can figure that out . I will deliver the last 200 bags on Monday ,got a order for another 750 bags so there should be a 50% deposit waiting for me . Get to spend money on monday I like that ! My son Mike got home to Brazil and my made in New Mexico Saddle bags are making the rounds there . I made him some music CD so he will see if American Blues music gets the Brazillian women to shake it ! He is like the Brazil version of Indianna Jones . LOL I'll rest well now knowing you did okay at the show and learned a few things . There is a bunch more things to learn ,sorry I am not going to share those . Bill

Hey Bill, yes you're right about all of that. We didn't have enough shoppers really to have the 'be backers' but I'm sure I'll meet them this Saturday. I have some bison on the way to make some of your saddlebags, can't wait to start those. Mine are only going to travel 4 blocks but I hope they can charm some people here like Mike is in Brazil. Yes all our stuff has to be made by us, unless it's made by another crafter in the same building. I don't see much sense when you only have 8 booths set up buying from another crafter two booths from me to sell on my table :) But it was a lot of fun AFTER it was over and I was warm fed and slept 12 hours, LOL. Your help is always appreciated. Cheryl

Hey Cheryl!

Do not worry!

I ve made my 1st "fair" this summer ( 2 days)

293284_408361055868214_564784695_n.jpg

and my 1st BIG show 2 weeks ago (5 days long) ..... i was sharing the spot with a breeder to split the costs

525671_448221315215521_1031033357_n.jpg

On the 1st event = i sold NOTHING but :

I was SEEN, KNOWN and got some good contacts for future orders

2 weeks ago : I ve sold only "small things" not enough to pay my food

i was at the far back of the place so few people really saw me.....but i got some good contacts too

409236_448221298548856_1000056934_n.jpg

I see those events as some kind on COM' BUDGET, some way to be seen......

Next one will be better than the previous one! ;)

Aurelie your saddles are beautiful and will sell themselves soon. I sold a guitar strap at my second one so that made up for all the angst of the first. Off again today for third, WOOT.

UPDATES Mike. I went today, it was cold, we didn't have over 50 people and I lost money. Another day at the gambling table like I said.....Cheryl

Life of the big biz owner, LOL. All I accomplished was giving away a gift certificate and had to pull teeth to do that

4th Marketplace today. Another day, another $115.00, LOL. I got a deposit on a guitar strap and the woman in the duo singing wants a strap with the band's name on it. Both of these are going to be a snap compared to the planet from a far, far galaxy :) Still not selling any of the little things, not even the freakin holly leaves and those are nice if I must say so myself. I'll be focusing on the orders I have, belt and two straps and not worrying about making anymore little stuff. As usual, had a good time once I got out the door.