TSquared

Singer 111W155 Timing/thread Issues

If your pulling the material, or the material is pulling as corners it ever-so-slightly it bends the needle.  That slight bend can cause the disturbance in the stich quality.  Try the same type of sewing on lighter material like some canvas and see if it can turn corners correctly then you will know if its the material or the machine that is causing it to have the corner issue.  If it still is not right on lighter material then it is probably a tension issue as it corners it get to much or to little tension and bunches-up.  Also make sure your using the right needle for the right material.  Sometimes the wrong needle, while it may sew, can have issues.

A couple things to check.

If making a sharp turn, make sure the needle has started to ascend and the hook has caught the loop.  If the hook hasn't caught the loop, may have skipped stitches.  Also, if you lift the presser foot too high while making turns, it will release the top tension, so won't pull the bobbin thread up.

Tom

Yep, learned both of those things the hard way, Tom. Now when I do corners I take it very slow (stop if necessary), make sure the needle is down as far as it can go, lift the foot just enough to turn the leather and make sure there's no side tension on the needle. Plus the odd prayer doesn't go astray sometimes.

Thanks for the replies. I will give those things a shot. Most of the issues are when I'm sewing around the English point on a belt or figure 8's. I've tried slowing down and even tried manually turning with the wheel. 

I was curious, if I'm using a 22 needle and sewing 138 poly thread would it be possible that as I turn the leather ever so slightly, on the English point let's say, could the needle hole be small enough that it turns the thread with the material causing a twist and not allowing the machine to pull the thread back though? Just a thought I had. Thanks again for all the replies and advice. 

Calib

Sorry, Calib, I can't help your issue.

I did want to follow up with my old backlash problem. Eric and Keith both mentioned braking with the clutch motor. I have my machines in a room with berber style carpet(horrible carpet decision, BTW). The pedal on the 111W was adjusted from the get-go to rest low on the "hard" carpet and this prevented the braking action. I have since adjusted that and braking certainly helps decrease the backlash.

Hope all are well!

Dave