buffalo

Plastic canteen

Does anyone know where I can get those 2 quart plastic canteens to cover with leather?

Regards Buff

Are you talking about an Army canteen or one of those round ones you see in western movies?

Like the one on my saddle on the left.

Regards Buff

buff2__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1204422993_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johanna
reduced pic size

check at outdoor sporting goods places in the camping section. the boy scouts used to have one like that too.

buffalo, there was a place in California called E-Z Sales that we used to get them from, they carried both sizes, I haven't ordered any in a while so I'm guessing they're still there, I don't have the number handy it's at the shop and I'm not, but if you can't locate them easily I can get the number I have for them.

I don't know if they are 1 quart or 2 but Wal-Mart here used to carry them then they stopped. Now Academy sports carries the same thing. But like I said I don't know if they are 1 or 2. I'll check mine later and let you know. I see alot of people covering aluminum canteens and the only thing I can think about that is they have never drank out of an aluminum canteen. YUK!!

Tim

I bought them at Wal-mart last time. Where do you get the other kind with the opening on the top side?

ArtS

Does anyone know where I can get those 2 quart plastic canteens to cover with leather?

Regards Buff

the ones i do open on the top and i get them

at wal-mart they are the 2qt size

I don't know if they are 1 quart or 2 but Wal-Mart here used to carry them then they stopped. Now Academy sports carries the same thing. But like I said I don't know if they are 1 or 2. I'll check mine later and let you know. I see alot of people covering aluminum canteens and the only thing I can think about that is they have never drank out of an aluminum canteen. YUK!!

Tim

I've had an aluminum canteen for years, and never noticed an off flavor or odor. I also clean it using a mild bleach solution, followed with a rinse of baking soda and water, then plain water. I leave the cap off until it's dry.

I've tried plastic canteens, and have always noticed a strong odor and flavor of plastic. Haven't been able to get rid of that.

But I question whether the aluminum canteen would cause discoloration of the leather???

That second one is just what I'm looking for thanks.

Regards Buff

Glad I could be of some help. Just for future reference I'd like to explain how I go about searching for items like that. I do a google search for the item, in this case a 2 quart round plastic canteen. If nothing jumps out of the first page I click on images at the top of the page to do an image search. When I see a picture of the item I want I click on the picture to go to the site the image is from. Usually it doesn't take but a few minutes to find what I'm looking for.

Hope this helps for future searches.

Jason