SooperJake

Paddle Holster Discussion - What's Your Take On This Style?

I am interested in hearing any and all thoughts and opinions on leather paddle holsters. Whether you like paddle holsters in general or not. If you currently build a style of them. All leather? Partly leather? Leather and Kydex? The general idea is simply an open forum conversation about this specific holster style.

Pictures speak volumes, so please share if you can.

I have a Kydex one that I have used once or twice to try it. It's ok but Id rather use leather. If you want quick on and off then a paddle holster is faster than a clip in my opinion. I made an all leather one and it worked as well as the kydex one. Just not totally fond of them.

Over the years I have made and used more than a few paddle holsters. Paddles have been either leather-covered heavy gauge sheet metal or Kydex, frequently padded with closed-cell neoprene rubber for comfort. I no longer offer this style, but here are my observations:

1. Paddle must be relatively large in order to support and balance the holstered weapon.

2. Paddle covering is best if it includes a rough textured surface to help hold the paddle in position (I have used rough-out leather).

3. Paddle must incorporate some means to retain the holster inside the belt & trousers when the weapon is drawn.

4. Back side of holster can require some built-in reinforcement at the paddle attachment point(s) allowing some rigidity during use, particularly with the heavier handguns.

5. Paddle design must provide contours that conform to body shape for comfort, and allow for the belt so that the holster rides at the desired position and angles.

I'm sure that others have pursued this style further than I have, and some fine designs surely exist. My experience, however, has been that paddle holsters are frequently too bulky for concealed carry applications, some paddle designs can be very uncomfortable during extended use, and concealability is not nearly as good as some other designs. In my opinion, these amount to significant compromises in pursuit of enhancing one aspect of a holster.

I hope this provides some things to think about for this holster style. There is certainly some demand for this type.

Edited by Lobo

I use one on the range, and that is about it...retention screw backed all the way out...it is only god for fast presentations and I wouldnt wear it for anything else..they are just to bulky and uncomfortable for me..

My first purchased holster was a Galco paddle, . . . I traded it off not too awful long later.

Personally, . . . I really did like the holster itself, . . . and I liked the idea, . . . but they're in the family of Edsel, Desoto, Imperial, and Oldsmobile.

All of them I have ever had on, . . . or used, . . . hung out in space, . . . had a tendency to flop up and down at least somewhat, . . . and either took a winter coat or an Indian blanket to cover it up for CCW.

I still have one, . . . but I far prefer a pancake to a paddle, . . . but that's just one opinion.

The other thing I really don't like about it, . . . if someone determines you are carrying, wearing a paddle, . . . they are just one "grab and snatch" from having your weapon and a 10 foot head start on you in the foot race of your life for your weapon. There's a youtube out there showing that very scenario.

May God bless,

Dwight

I've never made a paddle holster, mostly because I've never been asked to build one and I don't use them much myself anymore. Before I retired, when I worked a plain clothes assignment that didn't require concealing my duty pistol, I tried a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster for a while. Like others have previously stated, I did not like the belt movement and lack of stability that the holster provided and it wasn't long before I swapped the back plate paddle attachement to the belt slide version.

I never looked at a paddle design as a "CCW" holster, but more as an open carry option for folks who frequently need to remove their holstered handgun. I know a lot of detectives that wear paddle holsters for that reason. They are often in and out of court and the jail, where they can't carry a gun, so the paddle makes it easier to take on and off. Most of these same folk are not "Gun People", and some of them only carry a gun because they have to, not because they think they will ever need it...(sadly).

-Tac

Years ago I had a sSafariland clipspringer which was not at all stable. I've also use a fobus that is ok until in broke in two at some training while rolling around in the dirt... .. Just depends on one's required level of concealment...

I have built a couple of paddle holsters as an experiment. One design variation I liked and was pretty stable. Did not flop around and quite comfortable.. It also included a retention strap that kept the holster anchored to the belt to prevent the smash and grab mentioned before… Like all holsters designs there is always a balance between speed, security, safety, durability, and concealability. Will see if I can dig out a photo (if I can find it) and post same… (kydex covered paddle) I consider myself a novice and hope to learn more on the topic.

I make one every once in a while. All leather - stitched and riveted. Mike

001a-2.jpg

003a.jpg

004a-2.jpg

I have made a couple all leather. I was not too pleased with the results. I PM'd Troop to ask how he makes his paddles. he uses a leather covered kydex that is actually formed. I hope he chimes in and can give a little more insight to how he forms his paddles.

Jake, after 19 years as a LEO and a box full of crap holsters, the one thing I have learned is I will never buy two kinds. Paddle and shoulder. Paddle holsters are horrendously uncomfortable while sitting, running, driving or well, anything but standing still. The pinch, poke, prod (note the unintentional alliteration), and if you sweat? Dear god. Anyway, I love the concept, but the reality is a big MEH.

Years ago I had a sSafariland clipspringer which was not at all stable. I've also use a fobus that is ok until in broke in two at some training while rolling around in the dirt... .. Just depends on one's required level of concealment...

I have built a couple of paddle holsters as an experiment. One design variation I liked and was pretty stable. Did not flop around and quite comfortable.. It also included a retention strap that kept the holster anchored to the belt to prevent the smash and grab mentioned before… Like all holsters designs there is always a balance between speed, security, safety, durability, and concealability. Will see if I can dig out a photo (if I can find it) and post same… (kydex covered paddle) I consider myself a novice and hope to learn more on the topic.

I'd like to see it DoubleBar