Sign in to follow this  
Eaglestroker

First Ammo Belt / Scabbard

I traded me some work for this Ruger SBH and I really like the little gun. Around my shop something isn't really 'mine' till it gets it's own leather to make it personal. I've been getting a few more requests for ammo belts so I pulled one out of my work bins I cut about a year ago and started working. I needed to do some 'product testing,' obviously :)

Been wanting to make a scabbard since I started messing with leather so I made it into one big happy project. Everything is veg tan leather glued and stitch. The outside color is somewhat of an accident. It's usually a dark brown but after an anomaly it ended up a very, very dark brown with a reddish hue. I really like it but probably couldn't have created that color without a crazy happening with a foam brush and some water. The accenting colors of loops straps interiors and stitching aren't something I'd usually call my 'taste' but I think it come together perfectly. So here's to trying something new!

She ain't perfect but she's mine. Critiques welcome as always!

post-19170-0-69903700-1360302049_thumb.j

post-19170-0-50436300-1360302069_thumb.j

post-19170-0-73178800-1360302080_thumb.j

post-19170-0-37490300-1360302205_thumb.j

post-19170-0-62178700-1360302215_thumb.j

You say it's not perfect..... but dang that is gorgeous! Well done. I love the color.

That's fantastic! I love that color too. "I'd rather be lucky than good." This is what happens when you're both. That color is a genuine Bob Ross "Happy Accident."

bob-ross.jpg

You say it's not perfect..... but dang that is gorgeous! Well done. I love the color.

In the car world I call this a 5-10 footer. Nice from a distance and the camera hides most of the faults. On one end of the inner stitch I left my foot ever so lightly on the pedal, so much so I couldn't hear the servo kick on.....caught it before it was toast but the hole is obvious. Couple spots where the stitching got licked dying the edges. I went with natural thread and it just keeps looking 'dirtier' to me. Next time I might try full blown white.

If you want to try the color it's Feibings dk brown pro diluted, two applications. Take a CHEAP sponge brush, wet it, and apply it across the leather face. The first application will look like stains and scare the heck out of you. Second application you can see it start to even out. Best I can figure because of the way the foam applies water it's basically controlled water staining. I found it on accident when I wet the top crease of the scabbard. Was pretty upset at the time but all is well that ends well.

That's fantastic! I love that color too. "I'd rather be lucky than good." This is what happens when you're both. That color is a genuine Bob Ross "Happy Accident."

Nothing like a little Bob Ross to kick start your day. I love how it turned out :)

It looks awesome, great job as always. There's no question you are your harshest critic, I think most of us are! I am somewhat concerned about your Ruger SBH being a "little" gun....

Take care!

Josh

Nice job!

Congrats on your craftsmanship! Wish I could achieve something only half as perfect .

A very noble-looking set!

And bullets enough for a medium-sized range war.

Very Nice, i think the color is spot on, picks up the color from the grips really well...great job!

It looks awesome, great job as always. There's no question you are your harshest critic, I think most of us are! I am somewhat concerned about your Ruger SBH being a "little" gun....

Take care!

Josh

Hey Josh, it is built on the medium frame.... :) thanks for the compliments!

Nice job!

Thank you!

Congrats on your craftsmanship! Wish I could achieve something only half as perfect .

A very noble-looking set!

And bullets enough for a medium-sized range war.

Thanks for the sentiment, your last line made me chuckle :)

Very Nice, i think the color is spot on, picks up the color from the grips really well...great job!

Thanks! I can't claim that as 'on purpose' this time!

Very nice!

Years ago a very experienced knife maker warned me that I would never be happy with any knife I made. "Everyone else may love it, but you'll know every tiny spot that didn't come out just right. You have to learn to let that go; only the customer's opinion counts."

Very nice!

Years ago a very experienced knife maker warned me that I would never be happy with any knife I made. "Everyone else may love it, but you'll know every tiny spot that didn't come out just right. You have to learn to let that go; only the customer's opinion counts."

Thank you Jack. A lot of truth in that statement, I learned the hard way I'll never be 100% on anything. You let someone look at a 'flaw' and they laugh in your face...that's when you let it go :)