barbiesdude

Dye Black Or Buy Black?

I have a tack order for a headstall, slobber straps, and breast collar. The issue is the customer wants black. I know that given time I will re-coup my money if I buy a side of black leather, but it may take awhile before I get enough orders for black projects. If I bought a side of regular veg tanned, Is it difficult to get a nice finish by dyeing black? I have other orders I could make out of a veg tanned side.

I would buy black and sell what you don't use if you don't want to keep the extra.

Most of us dye our leather all the time. I "only" dye by immersion, . . . using a 9 x 14 cake pan, . . . and I just run the leather end to end through it like a snake, . . . it probably spends something like 5 seconds actually in the dye.

On long skinny projects, . . . like yours, . . . lay down newspaper on a large flat surface, . . . lay the pieces on the edge for the first 1/2 hour of drying. I know this sounds goofy, . . . but I've had the dye "run" on belts and other pieces that were long and skinny, . . . winds up light colored on one end, . . . heavy color on the bottom end.

I wear disposable rubber gloves, . . . and use only Feibings Oil Dye. USMC black gives you a super color, . . . but buffing off the extra pigment is a long time job, . . . and to me just isn't worth the extra effort.

Also, . . . and I know there is a difference of opinion on this, . . . but I personally don't like working with factory dyed leather. I cannot seem to get it to mold, fold, groove, or stamp like undyed veg tan.

The other factor to put into the equation is the cost of the dye. A quart of the dye I use is in the 30 buck range, . . . an upfront cost that you could apply toward the side of black leather. I've never dyed a full side at one time, . . . but I'd think it would take at least one quart, . . . maybe two, . . . and you need to figure that into your thinking.

Good luck.

May God bless,

Dwight

I just bought a drum dyed black hide. It's easier to work with if you are making things of a single color and don't need to add any other colors.

Either would be fine. I've decided to switch to drum dyed for black because it'll save me a little time and I go through it fast enough. Nothing wrong with dying it though if you won't use it. Get the Fiebings pro oil dye unless you like buffing leather for a long time.

I can't predict the colors that I use, and rarely do I get a request for "pure" black. So, for me, it's dye all the way. But, if I ever get to a point where a lot of people want straight black stuff, then I'd look into a pre-dyed side.

I have yet to buy black leather. I would definitely dye my own for smaller and medium size projects. For something like saddle bags or a garment type project I would consider factory dyed.

Thanks for the good advice all, looks like dyeing is the best option at this stage of the game.

I love buying my leather already drum dyed black...if I need to touch it up, it's a breeze.

When i was doing a lot tack the only time i ever sold anything that was black that includes saddles, saddle bags, headstalls and reins was to a person that had just bought their first horse. I wouldn't trade for a black saddle if i could keep from it because they were so hard to sell. I would say dye what you need and you have the rest of the side for regular orders.

the only time i ever sold anything that was black that includes saddles, saddle bags, headstalls and reins was to a person that had just bought their first horse.

Little off topic, but any reason why that's the case? Is there something about black that doesn't work for saddles or other gear (other than heat if they're out for a while)?

I'm not sure why it's only newbies that buy black saddles and tack. Maybe they have watched to many reruns of the Lone Ranger. It may be different in other parts of the country but that's the way it is around here.

I'm not sure why it's only newbies that buy black saddles and tack. Maybe they have watched to many reruns of the Lone Ranger. It may be different in other parts of the country but that's the way it is around here.

Interesting....I'm not really into western stuff at all, but somehow I always end up living in rodeo towns and I hauled semi loads of hay for a while (up close and personal with a lot of tack and saddles in barns). Thinking about it, I don't think I've seen many black setups outside of pictures. Guess it never occurred to me that that's not a common color choice.

Edited by Cyberthrasher

Most English harness (esp show harness) and quite a bit of saddlery is black. Makes it easier to match different pieces, and looks very smart contrasting with polished brass, stainless or chrome.

I get some leather from a Menonite saddle and harness shop in Dayton Virginia. He uses alot of drum dyed black leather. He buys it from Wickett and Craig and another place in Ohio. I'm guessing Weavers.

Interesting....I'm not really into western stuff at all, but somehow I always end up living in rodeo towns and I hauled semi loads of hay for a while (up close and personal with a lot of tack and saddles in barns). Thinking about it, I don't think I've seen many black setups outside of pictures. Guess it never occurred to me that that's not a common color choice.

Yeah, I agree with Dirtclod, it's usually firs time horse owners with the black saddles and they are usually the cheapest, gawdy junk you have ever seen. Not just because of the color but materials and they don't fit a horse. However, there are markets like the Arab horse world that show their horses in pretty high quality black saddles. I guess its like anything else, when you first get into something you have pre-conceptions then after you have been in it for awhile you think "how did I ever like that or think that was cool."

I guess its like anything else, when you first get into something you have pre-conceptions then after you have been in it for awhile you think "how did I ever like that or think that was cool."

Like all the people who ride my style of horse and think it's cool to cover it in chrome and toys like they see on all the tv shows :). I admit that I was there in the beginning too....

with what you listed for a black order, I would order a side of black. The price of the breast colar is more than enough to pay for a side, the rest of the order is profit. what ever you have left over from the side can be used to further the bank account.

Al

I had an issue with some predyed horse butt strips I bought. The black seemed to always produce a white filmy coating on the leather. Took many applications of oil/wax to get it to stop.

Where did you get them at? This isn't typical of drum dyed black leather at all. My guess is it was one of those cheap ones from Springfield. Don't let those turn you off from it.

I had an issue with some predyed horse butt strips I bought. The black seemed to always produce a white filmy coating on the leather. Took many applications of oil/wax to get it to stop.

My guess is it was one of those cheap ones from Springfield. Don't let those turn you off from it.

Yes, I love Springfield. But, their bargain stuff is a bargain for a reason. If I buy something cheap, or "craftsmen" from them and don't like the results, I just chalk it up to getting what I paid for.

Yes, I love Springfield. But, their bargain stuff is a bargain for a reason. If I buy something cheap, or "craftsmen" from them and don't like the results, I just chalk it up to getting what I paid for.

Yea I get suckered into them on occasion, sometimes you get lucky other times not so much. Most recently I got some lambskin lining leather for 1.29ft. It was earthtones so I figured it would be some form of brown but when it came it was shiny green. I really doubt ill ever use that.