Yanni

Adler 269-373 Or Adler 267 Thread Tension Assembly

I've got an Adler 269-373, it's an older refurbished model that comes with the original thread tension assembly which has very small tension discs and the thread

slips out despite coiling and twisting it around...following the manual etc.

I have noticed that for around 8-9 years now Adler have modified this part and on new models the tension discs are wider.

I have highlighted the part I mean on the photo attached.

Can you please help where I can find one of these either genuine Adler or compatible as I have seen a lot of chinese clones of the Adler 269 and the 267.

European shop would be great although a US shop would be great too.

Both machines use the same part.

Thanks

post-31682-0-69792300-1385849303_thumb.j

These units are very costly over $200.00 US. the last time I priced one.You might try running the thread through 2 or 3 of the holes on the spool pin on top of the machine,this should make more tension @ the discs & keep the thread from sliding out.

I can´t the the part good enough on the picture to tell what the problem could be but since you say it has discs I think they should be replaceable, right?

Can´t you just add larger discs? Isn´t the assembly spring loaded and you can put more pressure on the discs when you turn the thumb screw? Or just wrap the thread two times around the assembly. As I said I cant´see the assembly very well....

Yeah, the discs exist but when you add more tension by twisting the thump screw the thread jumps out from the discs.

I can add wider discs but I'll need to find some compatible ones probably from an overlocker or something...

I think Bob is on the right track when he says to add restriction (a little tension) to the thread before it gets to the tension discs.

CD in Oklahoma

First things first;

Make sure the parts at least look like they do here. The tension disks are under $10USD, and the tension complete is under $100USD.

269-373BobbinTension.JPG

now that I see the assembly, are you sure that your thread runs the right path?

From what I see I´d assume the thread runs from the backside through the hole on the right, then between the discs along front side and the through the middle hole and then through the left hole. I have edited Gregg's picture a little bit. Not sure what the manual says but this is how I would do it without knowing the manual.

post-31854-0-88110900-1386014656_thumb.j

Hello Constabulary, I have those disks on my 267-373 machine and I do not run the thread in a right path true them. If you do then the thread will fall out of the disks. I loop the thread one turn/time around the disk and then it works fine.

Tor

Edited by Trox

Hi. I have the same machine and I think the same initial tenssioning mechanism.

The trick to this piece is to have the thread enter at the hole closest ( right most) to the thread stand, around the tensioning disc and then back through the same hole. Then the thread travels to the left on the back side and then out again through the left most hole twd the operator. Then thread as usual.

Durkopp keeps all manuals avaialble for download on their site which is quite nice. You can download manual there and see their diagrams if my description is not clear. This is by far the best machine I have. Clean and lube it and it should pretty much run forever.

The detail highlighted in your photo looks like it's only used for winding the bobbin and is not in the thread path for normal sewing.

I think the description right above from chikitti is the closest to what Adler intended, based on this diagram I found in a 267-373 manual using the same tension device in a different location (and turned around). The tension device in this diagram IS used for sewing. Yours looks very much like the exact same device, just in a different spot and turnaround.

Perhaps this diagram helps:

post-56402-0-25273300-1443485592_thumb.p

I hesitate to even mention this video below about 267 bobbin winding because it kinda shows how NOT to do it, even though he manages to wind a bobbin. The fellow runs that poor machine at full speed with the presser feet just slamming metal to metal - that has got be wrong! At least lift the presser feet up so they don't make contact. He also does not use the threading path intended for the device - but it works for him perhaps because of the larger disks.

Edited by Uwe

Sometimes it pays to look in the most obvious place: I found an operating instructions document hiding in plain sight at the Durkopp Adler documentation page for the 269

Here's the relevant diagram on how to properly thread the pre-tension unit for the bobbin winder:

post-56402-0-59230900-1443494658_thumb.p

Edited by Uwe

If you want to get a new pre-tension unit (presumably with bigger tension disks), it's available from AAAsew in Canada (USD $96, search for part number 0221-110154-DAD. Slightly sketchy ordering system, but I've successfully ordered twice from them), or from College Sewing in the UK for 50 pounds (USD $75, world class ordering system)

Edited by Uwe

D'oh! Now I notice this darn thread is nearly two years old - how did this pop back onto my front page for this forum, making me think it's all new?