JS22

Spinal Stingray Cowboy Rig

Have wanted to make this rig for myself for a long time. I finally got around to it just before Christmas. I shoot cowboy action and getting to wear and model my own leather has brought me the most bang for my buck when it comes to advertisement. This one has turned a few heads.

Tell me whar you think.

stingray rig.jpg

post-17641-0-03008900-1391189884_thumb.j

That rig is absolutely stunning!

Awesome, but then again I love the exotic skins!

Very nice. I have some sting and was wondering what thread and needle size you used?

Looks awesome and thats a lot of stingray to edge!

I bet that rig has definitely turned a bunch of heads! Nice work...

Wow!

Really, really nice looking rig!

OK, you've reached the web site's limit on complements. As a result, you must continue to post more pictures of the stuff you make.

Well, building the rig for myself has paid off. Just got an order for a rig just like it with matching shotgun belt, 2 knife sheaths, and cowboy cuffs. In addition to a spinal stingray dress belt to boot. Looking like alot more dremel work in my future.

Thanks for the compliments.

Very nice someday I'll try some of that leather. I don't think it's period tho , but I'd be proud of it too. I hear it's hard to hand sew from what I've read. What machine did you sew it with ? I'm new and trying to get as much info as I can Thanks Gary

Silverbullet I hand sew sting ray, just did a rifle sling with the multi spine ray. However I have an awl blaed chucked in an unpluged drill press I mark my stitch holes then pierce the ray at each stitch mark with the awl blade then stitch.

Thats a pretty solid idea camino ridge

That is about as slick as it gets. Fantastic rig.

I have never seen a stingray hide long enough to make a full lenght belt, are you splicing it in the rear or how are you piecing it together for a longer belt?

I have never seen a stingray hide long enough to make a full lenght belt, are you splicing it in the rear or how are you piecing it together for a longer belt?

Yes, it was spliced in the middle of the back. It is not very noticeable at all. I sanded the overlapping piece down to a very thin edge so the married together perfect. The other two splices are located under the billet ends so its not noticeable.

Very nice someday I'll try some of that leather. I don't think it's period tho , but I'd be proud of it too. I hear it's hard to hand sew from what I've read. What machine did you sew it with ? I'm new and trying to get as much info as I can Thanks Gary

Your probably correct. Not too many cowboys wearing stingray in the 1800's. However it was available and the technology to tan them did as well. I used a Cowboy 3500 from Bob at Toledo sewing.