Hello,

So I decided to make another wallet out of this awesome blue stuff from Horween. This time instead of turning the edges I used black edge kote on all the cut edges. This also let me round all the corners which I think looks rather nice!

I feel like the edge came out really nice too! I sanded it really well then beveled and applied the edge kote (I did two coats). After making sure it was super dry I burnished it with a wooden slicker. Then I coated the edge in beeswax and burnished again.

Finally I covered the wallet in Aussie including the edges and buffed everything.

Let me know what you think and how I can improve!

Thanks for looking,

Joe

post-50407-0-49686100-1401066663_thumb.j

post-50407-0-42471500-1401066672_thumb.j

post-50407-0-56965000-1401066681_thumb.j

You're definitely improving. This is the best one I've seen you make thus far. I'm too new to offer advice, but good work.

You're definitely improving. This is the best one I've seen you make thus far. I'm too new to offer advice, but good work.

Thank you so much!

I've always wondered how people do that curve in the card pocket. Care to share?

For this one I drew up a template in inkscape. It's a free vector drawing software. And then I traced it onto the leather and cut it out with a head knife. You could also use a small utility knife as well.

Another low tech way to do it is to find something round (think jar lid, or LP record, etc...) mark out where you want the curve to end and then put your round object so it matches up with the two marks you made.

I hope that makes sense...if it doesn't tell and I'll try to explain it better.

I've done the lid trick, but lids don't have that double curve like your wallet pockets. Vector program seems to be the key. Thank you much.

Here's the pattern for the card pockets....this way I can save you a bit of time!

Card Pockets.pdf

Nice work. That wallet turned out very nice.

Very nice, love the color and the overall look.

Chief

Nice work. That wallet turned out very nice.

Thank you very much!

Nice!!! Thanks a bunch.

No problem man! I hope it works out for you. The dimensions are 4 inches wide by 2 1/4 inches tall.

Very nice, love the color and the overall look.

Chief

Thank you so much!

That's what I'm talkin bout!

This one looks Professional. The only other thing you could have done was to glue a liner to the back. And I don't think it is really necessary.

Great edges!

That's what I'm talkin bout!

This one looks Professional. The only other thing you could have done was to glue a liner to the back. And I don't think it is really necessary.

Great edges!

Thank you so much! I really like the blue two one that the back provides when you open the wallet.

Yeah Joe, Im still impressed with your level of skill,

for a relative newbee, you've come a very long way, in a short amount of time.

I like your wallet, and the color is phenomenal looking,

Is your stitching hand stitched ? or machine stitched ? either way its very pretty, and even !

Keep on keeping on Man. Wild Bill46

By the way, I be-frended you the other day !

Yeah Joe, Im still impressed with your level of skill,

for a relative newbee, you've come a very long way, in a short amount of time.

I like your wallet, and the color is phenomenal looking,

Is your stitching hand stitched ? or machine stitched ? either way its very pretty, and even !

Keep on keeping on Man. Wild Bill46

By the way, I be-frended you the other day !

It's 100% hand stitched. Thank you very much for the compliments! I saw the friending...I'll reciprocate!

BTW....Happy Memorial Day to everyone!

nice work joe, i also see huge improvement from when i first saw your work , keep it up !

nice work joe, i also see huge improvement from when i first saw your work , keep it up !

Thank you so much!

Now your cookin' Joe! Love those finished edges......beautiful! That color really pops, very nice.

Now your cookin' Joe! Love those finished edges......beautiful! That color really pops, very nice.

Thank you so much!

This is a beautiful wallet. The color is what really stands out for me.

I've always wondered how people do that curve in the card pocket. Care to share?

I use these acrylic templates. I made them in a CAD program and had a company laser cut them. These cover all of the card wallets and full sized wallets I make. The holes allow me to mark cut and stitch lines. I can use the curve or flip it over for a straight line.

post-6780-0-83158300-1401311321_thumb.jp

Beautiful Wallet, Cheryl

This is a beautiful wallet. The color is what really stands out for me.

I use these acrylic templates. I made them in a CAD program and had a company laser cut them. These cover all of the card wallets and full sized wallets I make. The holes allow me to mark cut and stitch lines. I can use the curve or flip it over for a straight line.

attachicon.gif20140527_220932-1_resized.jpg

Thank you so much! I love the color as well. I love the idea of laser cut acrylic. It is in my future for sure!

Beautiful Wallet, Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl!