rejerome

Belt Keepers

I'm currently working on a project that requires several belt keepers. I've never seen any information on the process, so here's how I do them.

I used a strap cutter to rough out the width of the straps from some 3-4 oz. scrap leather. . I made some 1/2" wide and some 3/4" wide. Next I cut them to the appropriate length. Using dividers I lightly mark decorative lines about 3/16" from each side. I used a #3 edge beveler to bevel the edges. I then burnished the edges using my dremel and Pro Edge burnisher. Next I dampened the leather and used a modeling tool to deepen the decorative lines and then sit them aside to dry. I have also stitched on these lines in the past, but burnished lines were all I needed on these.

Once the strips were dry I used a stitching awl to punch matching holes in each end of the straps. I used a single harness needle and whip stitched the ends together as shown in the pictures. I stitched from one side to the other and then went back through each hole a second time. I finished off with a square knot and melted the cut ends.

These will be dyed and finished to match the finished straps.

Happy leathering!

post-44057-0-40172600-1402276203_thumb.j

I use 3 Arrow staples, . . . and a pair of long nosed pliers.

May God bless,

Dwight

I use the Tandy SS keeper staples. 1 to 2 per keeper depending on size. Quick, easy and secure.

Thanks for the feedback. Call me old fashioned, I like the look of hand sewn and in my particular application they're visible.

Rejerome - You're keepers show a lot of detail and the details are what sets you apart. I'm in agreement that staples are quick, easy, and secure, but that whip stitch beats staples hands down. Thanks for the tutorial!

Thanks for the feedback. Call me old fashioned, I like the look of hand sewn and in my particular application they're visible.

Visible or not... THAT is the extra mile... THAT is the subtle difference that makes me pick belt A over belt B.... and pay more for it. :P

Thanks for the info, Cheryl

Thanks for the tutorial and pictures for your Belt Keepers - Very Nice indeed!

Thank you for sharing this info!

Bob

Here's the project that uses the belt keepers I described.

This rig can be worn as a vest or the holster and mag holder can be removed and worn on a belt.

post-44057-0-42890500-1402885126_thumb.j