stelmackr

Leather Slip-On Book Covers With Embossed Text

Greetings,

Just thought I would show some of the stuff I make. I'm showing for a couple of reasons. (1) People are occasionally asking about putting lettering on leather (vegetable tanned) in circles and (2) Some design features of medallion holders and pen/pencil holders and closures. The following four pictures show a book cover that I had obtain to permission from Cocaine Anonymous to make since their CA logo is a registered trademark. After I received the "one-time, single use" permission I used some moveable lead printing type to form the logo. The "CA" was formed with the Baskerville printing type font and the HOPE, FAITH and COURAGE were formed with the Stymie printing type fonts. The circles were sections of PVC pipe and metal pipe cut to the same height as the printing type. A book press was used to emboss the logo into the cased vegetable tanned leather. I wish I had a good clicker, but the book press works OK for me. The little ® registered trademark symbol was formed with a small letter "R" and the circle around it was just the light impress of a small hole punch

post-82-0-73758000-1408653465_thumb.jpg post-82-0-65695200-1408653501_thumb.jpg post-82-0-35044900-1408653568_thumb.jpg post-82-0-71095000-1408653598_thumb.jpg

The prayer in the center was produced by http://www.greyghostgraphics.com/stamps.html and was pressed into the leather with the same book press. The Grey Ghost graphic stamp was a stamp without a handle.

The pen/pencil snap/strap is just a simple way to add to any completed slip-on book cover.

The medallion holder is a little more complex. The applique sewing channel was formed like the circles in the logo and then a hole was cut out with a 1-1/2" punch. The leather was dyed with antique dye. Then a clear .020 vinyl section was glued to the back side of the applique patch with contact cement. The applique was temporarily placed on the front and the location for the second hole was marked on the cover. That marked hole was punched out with the same 1-1/2" punch. Then the applique was place in the cover, aligning the two holes, with double back leather tape from http://www.wawak.com/products/product.cfm?pID=8677. The applique was sewn on and the medallion was adhered to the piece the was punched out of the cover. The medallion/leather circle is placed in the hole a taped in with Gorilla tape. The medallion is easily changed by pealing back the Gorilla tape and replacing the medallion.

If you would like more details on lettering on leather, please see:

http://aaleatherbigbookcovers.com/download/Typography%20in%20Leather%20Article.pdf

Hope this helps someone.

Bob Stelmack.

Looks amazing.

Chris

Love that idea. That setup would be great for folks who make notes in study bibles.

Very, Very nice. I particularly like the Colouring on the CA Logo, very professional, very elegant.

Good thinking with the PVC pipe. I've got a box of washers, metal shapes, etc. that I pick up anywhere and everywhere in anticipation of applications like this. I use a massive bench vice and industrial hinges for pressing. Great work!

That is extremely nice.

super work. I love it...Thank you for posting this.

Wow!, Bob. To my way of thinking, it doesn't get any more professional than this. Makes me want to drive to Richland and take a class from you. Just a terrific, terrific piece of work.

Harvey Lutske

Corrected link to article.

Had some issues with internet.  That article on Tutorial--Typography in Leather  has been moved to:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qgV6aH_FkHa5lBX_kNceroW2elQju_XW/view