Cedillo

Tooling Ram's Head, Advice Appreciated.

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am in the process of completing this for a biker's vest. I am posting to request some guidance on tooling the ram's head.

If anybody has done anything similar, if you could post it, I would greatly appreciate it.

post-47335-0-37922700-1410883967_thumb.j

I used the search function, saw a few animals but nothing like this. I did see that a member here, moeg, has a ram's head as his avatar but I was unable to open it up in a bigger size.

Here is a picture of the only animal, wolf, that I have tooled. Being on a holster, it was alot smaller, I tried giving it as much detail as I could.

post-47335-0-80168500-1410886041_thumb.j

Cedillo

Since this is a stylized drawing rather than a realistic depiction, just a good beveling job like done on the banner should be suitable.

You might give considerable thought on how deep you wish to bevel the various elements..... perhaps a deeper beveling on the outline and

lighter beveling on the interior elements

Here's an example of one I've done. The real size of it is around 2x2 inch. You really have to "think" 3D when tooling :-)

post-5624-0-46692100-1410943113_thumb.jp

Edited by Tina

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am in the process of completing this for a biker's vest.

YIKES that's a lot o' backgroundin' :) Comin' along, though - looks good so far! I was sure I saw a ram done around here somewhere...

Thank you Tina. That is a good looking Ram. If you don't mind, I will use yours as a reference to tool mine.

Thank you JLSleather. I still have plenty of work to do. I will be cutting about half an inch around the outer perimeter to have room to stitch it to the vest. I'm still looking for a new backgrounder to tool the inside around the ram. I've seen some with a pebble grain look to them.

I've used this link, http://www.robertbeardtools.com/educational.html , as a great source of information.

That site you've been checking is basically a copy of the information contained in Stohlman's books (30 years ago) Pictorial Carving Finesse and Figure Carving Finesse.

I don't have mine any more -- one MORE thing that got away -- but I know that the figure book had a detailed carving of a ram. And the pictorial book has some really good info on coloring. I've seen books - and I'm the last one to suggest that leather crafters go buy yet another something other than leather - but these are actually worth having.

Both of those books, and many others as well, are available in .PDF format for download from Tandy's Leathercraft Library.

https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/c-79-ebooks.aspx?pagenum=2

Hope that helps

Bill

Thank you Tina. That is a good looking Ram. If you don't mind, I will use yours as a reference to tool mine.

You're more than welcome :-) I do use a modeling/spoon tool loads, on the face and more. Please post a picture when you're done, always nice to see it finished//Tina

I started this post a while back. Since then, the guy that commissioned this patch decided he didn't want it anymore, and it sat on my to-do pile. It will now be used for a display that will be presented to a good friend of mine as a going-away gift. A big thank you to Tina for her help with getting a good idea on the tooling, and everybody that provided very good advice. The tooling is complete, just have to finish the dye job

HRqzXkh.jpg

pxZAyKU.jpg

Edited by Cedillo

JLSleather gave you some good advice. Get the Figure Carving Finesse by Al Stolman, it will greatly improve your carving technique. You will be very glad you did.