malabar

Ok, Let's Talk Ankle Holsters...

We've just started selling an ankle holster and would love some feedback. The pic is below. The holster itself is 8-ounce drum-dyed Herman Oak. The straps are black Hermann Oak Bridle leather. The pad is .25-inch neoprene sandwiched by two layers of chrome-tan upholstery leather. Some of the best ankle holsters I've seen have used heavy felt for the pad, but I'm afraid that will get hot here in Florida.

I hate using straps for retention, but in this case I think it's essential. The snap head is recessed to minimize scraping.

How are y'all making your ankle holsters? Got any thoughts you'd care to share?

post-21933-0-59703500-1415582027_thumb.p

Edited by malabar

I don't make holsters. Don't know much about them. BUT ... you might want to experiment with an alternative padding material. Neoprene is fine for most folks, but there's a good number of people that are allergic to it!

Something to think about:

Bill

I would think the neoprene would be very hot, trapping moisture. You may end up with a diaper rash on your leg. You need a padding that breathes. Otherwise I like the looks of it.

Very interesting topic.......nothing to add but would love to hear experienced input

The neoprene is inside the two layers of leather. That should prevent any issues with allergies or the neoprene being uncomfortably hot. And that's one of the things I'm trying to avoid.

Do sheepskin and felt pads "breathe?" I would think they would promote and collect sweat in hot weather

tk

Malabar,

6 on one hand or half a dozen in the other. It does not matter what you use, it is going to get hot. Neoprene by itself acks like a sweat band, like the ones used to "trim" your waist. too much sweating in my opinion, allergies aside, too much trapped sweat for an extended period will cause a rash. sheep skin will make you sweat as well, but is way more confortable. I carry my Lady smith with sheepskin all day without issues. I live in OK where it is quite hot in the summer, but not as humid like FL. Been in FL during summer visiting my sister and carry my sheepsking ankle holster without issues. It is all about prefference and confort.

I used sheepskin against the skin. South Carolina is as hot as Florida. The customer loved it and I have yet to hear any complaints.

I wore an ankle holster when I lived in Key West many years ago. It was lined with sheepskin and also had another strap that went above the calf muscle. The strap would help keep the holster and whole deal in place.. Just a suggestion,ditch the buckle and use velcro that way one size will fit all... Good Luck to you.

Good topic! My brother has been after me to make him a new ankle holster.Gonna have to give it a try.

I haven't done an ankle holster yet but I did carry one on duty for 15 plus years and it had the 1/4 inch felt backing that was very comfortable and didn't allow the rig to slip down both when I was wearing my boots or in plain clothes. By the way where do you guys get the metal end piece that the strap goes thru? I've looked all over the net with negative results.

Thanks

Harley the Buckle Guy has them http://www.buckleguy.com/loops-and-sliders/ I think I have seen them at Tandy's and I have gotten them at Lowes or Home depot as well.

I get my buckles and sliders from The Buckleguy, http://www.buckleguy.com

tk

I like the design... I have carried a bunch of different ankle holsters over the last 20 years. The sheepskin breaths quite well. I would not be interested in neoprene... it will get too hot and sweaty. I have had a few that were made with a wicking type material that was padded, this was quite nice as well. I would question if your strap and buckle are wide enough. I always liked a WIDE strap that velcro'd so you could cinch it REAL tight... you may end up running with the thing on and it needs to not only be secure but hug the ankle tight.

The best thing to do is make it and wear it a bunch before you start producing it... go jog in it... you name it. You will then know if you have a winner.

I wore an ankle holster in both Africa and South Florida for a number of years and mine was commercially made with a lambswool lining. It was for a Beretta 22LR and was very comfortable, I never noticed it to be particularly hot and I still have the holster which is still ready to go.

It has been replaced by a bigger caliber in a smaller gun in a pocket holster although the Beretta I had was standard issue for Mosad at the time and one agent used it to single handed hold of a group Arab hijackers at an airport until help arrived.

Cya!

Bob