Coho

Customer Asking For A Piece Without Makers Stamp (On The Back)

Hmmm.. that was unnecessarily rude. What, my turn? Alrightey, then...

I find it strange that someone with a symbol and an avatar from a movie worries about someone else copying / using their work. Nobody else sees irony?

It is to me ridiculous that the only thing "kustom" about someone's work is the "maker" stamp (and otherwise about like many others). Each his own, I suppose.

And perhaps I didn't phrase my post for others (I like to read my own posts, it's true). In case you missed it, I was AGREEING with you, that it's up to him if he puts a mark on there or not. In fact, now that we're peeing all over the posts, a guy could do that too -- go on pee on the leather before shipping it.. no difference to me, since I'm not the customer.

But, though the path to it is wide, your conclusion is correct. I should get back to leather work.

Is white label production part of your business model?

By white label if you mean unbranded..no, if you mean private label, yes. I do make products with other logos on them designed and manufactured for a particular company. I do put my mark on the back with my web site URL so if there is a problem, the end user can contact me for a fix. Again, I don't sell to the end user.

My commercial work is all my own design, and are practical items including various instrument cases and straps. I also do custom work which I tool and enjoy much more than the production work.and charge a lot more for OR give away as gifts. The commercial work pays the bills and dovetails well with my other business activities.

JSL, sorry if I came off rude.. Not sure what movie avatar you are referring to but I don't think Coho is necessarily claiming to make custom designs. The issue is whether the customer has the right to demand a brand free item.

I too have to get back to the sewing machine...

Cya!

Bob

Cya!

Bob

i make it...i mark it...no exceptions

Alright childeren go to your rooms and behave yourselves before a modeator closes this thread. The OP asked for individual opinions on his situation only not for us to brow beat each other.

Alright childeren go to your rooms and behave yourselves before a modeator closes this thread. The OP asked for individual opinions on his situation only not for us to brow beat each other.

That is a bit condescending on your part to admonish these adults for simply being like the average human; that is - people who are not experts in diplomacy, and so, always conveying their viewpoints with perfect tact, and politeness.

I, for one, am still looking to know why the customer did not want the maker's mark on the holsters ? ? ?

And the only way to know that is ask the question of the customer. Heck, who knows! You might learn something new, and gain an appreciation of how other people view matters. Furthermore, with such discussion, you have a chance to explain why you want to have, or require, your maker's mark on items that you make.

As a consumer, I don't mind that the buttons on my pants says "Wranglers" or "Carhart", or that it says "Nocona" on the inside of my boots. On the other hand,

I certainly wouldn't wear pants that have a 6 inch name patch on the front, which would be the equivalent of some of the products I've seen on this forum! I do wear caps that have a large name patch on them that advertise some outfit or another, but, the price was right - FREE !

LOL ! How about this? "Holster for Sale $75 with small maker stamp on backside, $85 with no makers stamp, $60 with prominent maker stamp on front"

I'd also be leery of a request to leave off a maker's mark, especially if you display it on a spot that isn't prominently displayed. Like Wyoming Slick, I've seen marks that were just gigantic and to me at least took away from the overall look of the piece, but if it was on the back or under a flap I can't see any reason to object to it.

You might want to explain that you use your maker's mark to not only brand your particular work, but to identify it if for some reason it would need repair. I work at a frame shop, and we put a sticker on the back of each frame we make. If someone brings in a frame where the picture has come loose behind it and our sticker is on the back, we take it apart, fix it, and put it back together again for free since it was done at our place. If it has no sticker or was done elsewhere though, they're charged for labor and materials since it's not something we did that caused the piece to come loose. (of course this is only for pieces that have come loose on their own, falling off the wall or actual physical damage gets properly charged) When you explain that your mark is added insurance he may reconsider.

I agree with Slick on ALL points. Hardly worth responding to Camino Ridge's inane comment though, I think the OP stated the mark isn't visible and is on the inside . With the potential liability issues with a holster, I wouldn't want my mark on it. Who knows if 3 owners from now, some guy blows his balls off...they'll come looking for the manufacturer to join in the legal fun.

I too would welcome the reasoning behind the request. We could all learn something....or not.

Cya!

Bob

My opinion: my work, my mark. That's enough reason; there are other makers.

If anyone is wondering what happened to this thread, there were two topics asking the same question, by the same author...and both have a lot of replies. So, they're merged into this ONE thread, so all the info is in one place.

Like I said, 1" x1" on the back (at the top under the belt loop.

Here is the holster

2014-10-03%2022.15.21-XL.jpg20141003_214758-X2.jpg

Edited by Coho

Would it hurt to do some OEM work?

I don't mind doing it personally. But it's always an agreement when I do so.

Money is money and your brand is hopefully the quality of your work and not your name (ie your makers mark)

An interesting topic.

After thinking about the issue and reading the opinions of members, I feel that all have some valid points. It comes down to, will I or will I not, make something for someone without my makers mark.

This is an issue that must be decided, I feel, by the maker of the item and what they are willing to do. I am not amongst the master leatherworkers so for me the issue is not something I dwell upon when making a piece, either for myself or others.

If I were in the marketplace, perhaps I would like to display my craft with my own mark. I have a variety of maker mark stamps in the shop but rarely use anymore. Most every company that wishes to make a name for itself, or sell good products, has a mark/logo somewhere on the item. A good way to tell us who made the product and if they confidant enough to display their logo as a way to represent their product. If we are pleased with the product purchased from the company, then we remember the logo and look for it in the future. On the other hand, if we are displeased, it has the opposite effect.

Unbranded items also hit the shops on a regular basis and may simply read, made in China, Pakistan, India, Korea, Japan, Indonesia, etc, where I don't think a name or mark would be of benefit to any of us here.

A mark is also a good way to express the pride in what we have made so it also has some psychological benefits for all of us. I love to see the creative marks of others and at times, I envy the creative talent that went into the idea.

In a nutshell, it depends on the benefit received by the maker, by applying the mark to the item in question and if there is a willingness to forego for someone who may have a reason, good or not so good, for asking that the mark not be present on the piece. I, as many others, would be curious as to why it is being requested, if for no other reason than to decide if I wish to pursue the matter and make the requested item/s.

A decision that can be made by only by the maker and great topic for discussion. Good luck and hope that it ends well.

God Bless.

Ray