taintedelephant

You Never Know What You Are Going To Get In To

I decided to make all my Christmas presents this year.

Probably will be your most expensive Christmas presents EVER!

Cya!

Bob

It definitely is. However it comes with less stress of trying to figure out what somebody "wants or needs" and I'm a notorious procrastinator who hates shopping. Doing this, forced me to start early, as most of the stuff I was doing was taking me about a week a piece (that is fitting it in around my normal schedule). Basically I'm done just about done now. Everybody should like what they get, and they'll see the time I put into each gift.

Its possible after the new year, I might remake some of the items I've already made and sell them. Some people at work have inquired about it.

I have had several years where I made all my Christmas gifts. Last year was one of those years. This year, I don't have the time to make any.

I'm going to put that on the cuffs on the right, as soon as I get brave enough, I think I'm almost there.

What kind of tube, cardboard? Where did you get one big enough?

These are cardboard tubes, 4ft or a little more high, Some are about 6-10 inches in diameter. I have a friend that works at the mall and when some of the stores get in huge window signs etc, they come in these tubes. He snatches them and tells me I meet him and we load the car. I have some that have less diameter they are perfect for some of my special soft leathers like, hologram leather.

If you have a frame shop near you go in and ask if they have any. Customers come in with posters and half the time leave the tube so most frame shops are happy to offload them for free or cheap.

Dwight, Have you tried painting, photography, or wood working? I got carried away with all of those just not as fast as leather.

Well, . . . I built my own house from the dirt up, . . . 2600 sq feet, . . . 16 x 32 shed, . . . 22 x 45 car port & leather shop, . . . have been the family photographer & videographer for about 45 years, . . . spent 4 years in the Navy, so you can forget painting.

I'm just one of those guys that gets bored easily with the same old stuff, . . . gotta be playing with "new" stuff from time to time.

BTW, . . . main computer is down or I'd show pics, . . . for leather storage in my shop, . . . I just made a stand up box, . . . 4 each 2 x 12's in a box, . . . 4 ft x 8 ft, . . . hinged the front 4 x 8 of OSB, . . . nailed the back piece on, . . . put in some rods, . . . and I have a leather vault, . . . 32 cubic feet, . . . allows all my leather to hang straight (gets rid of most of the curls) and I can just open the door, . . . take quick inventory anytime.

Beats the devil out of drawers, rolls, boxes, etc. at least IMHO.

May God bless,

Dwight

I can picture your vault perfectly, it's a great idea, wish I had the space, and the funding to fill it.

These are cardboard tubes, 4ft or a little more high, Some are about 6-10 inches in diameter. I have a friend that works at the mall and when some of the stores get in huge window signs etc, they come in these tubes. He snatches them and tells me I meet him and we load the car. I have some that have less diameter they are perfect for some of my special soft leathers like, hologram leather.

Thanks, if I cant find any that way, I'll pick up some sonitube, unless someone thinks the coating on it could cause problems.

I'm moving in a month to a place with a basement that will become my workspace and I'm thinking I'll be doing the same thing. Be nice to be able to have it hanging so you don't have to fight the curl when trying to cut out a piece although I might end up going with just some kind of heavy blanket to cover it for now until funds are a little better

BTW, . . . main computer is down or I'd show pics, . . . for leather storage in my shop, . . . I just made a stand up box, . . . 4 each 2 x 12's in a box, . . . 4 ft x 8 ft, . . . hinged the front 4 x 8 of OSB, . . . nailed the back piece on, . . . put in some rods, . . . and I have a leather vault, . . . 32 cubic feet, . . . allows all my leather to hang straight (gets rid of most of the curls) and I can just open the door, . . . take quick inventory anytime.

Beats the devil out of drawers, rolls, boxes, etc. at least IMHO.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks, if I cant find any that way, I'll pick up some sonitube, unless someone thinks the coating on it could cause problems.

Maybe if you go to a some stores in the mall with big sale signs you will find them. As these are not coated they are not a problem.

I wish i had the room I had before to do my work. I guess it is win lottery time.

I used to make sandals and purses etc. back when I was a hippie in the late '60s and early '70s. Then I laid leatherwork down to raise a family. At a ripe old age someone gave me an opportunity to go elk hunting one more time after many years. I needed a hunting knife so I bought a nice one online. I was astonished at how a reputable, well-known company could ship such a nice knife in such an embarrassingly poorly made cardboard and nylon sheath.

So I figured I'd make my own leather sheath. I looked online for help doing that and found Ian Atkinson. The rest is history.

Now I have so much money invested in leather, tools, and all the rest including a Cobra Class 4 saddle stitcher that I really don't want to add it up. At my age I'd have to make a whole lot of harmonica cases, guitar straps, belts, knife sheaths, pistol holsters, etc., etc. to justify my "investment". That ain't gonna happen. So even if I have a web site and a tax ID and have gotten pretty good at modern leatherwork, I must admit (to myself any way) that it's all really a glorified hobby that's taken over half of my living room and consumed a good portion of my waking hours.

But, I LOVE it!

And now I am thanking the company that shipped that hunting knife in a crappy sheath.

Michelle

I've got a thread on my new work station. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=60351

Personally, I was surprised at how much stuff I had stashed in corners and boxes. I've got three tool boxes of leather working tools. Stuff just seems to accumulate.

We have an unused bedroom that I use to store my leather.

I spent the the day today working on some S&W snubby holsters.

firstthing_zpsd815879c.jpg

First project on my new work station.

Yeah, i know how fast the tools can mount up. I converted my spare room into a leather working room. Love the smell of it when i walk into it, the smell of leather and beeswax!

snubbyfan

Is it always that neat and tidy? I have to take what I call a dance break every once in a while, and "reset" my work space. Otherwise I can't find what I'm looking for, because every tool I own seams to be spread out on the bench.

snubbyfan

Is it always that neat and tidy? I have to take what I call a dance break every once in a while, and "reset" my work space. Otherwise I can't find what I'm looking for, because every tool I own seams to be spread out on the bench.

I was done for the day and everything was tidied up. We have 2 cats and if I left my stuff out it'd end up all over the house.

Tubes? Go to the hardware store that sells cement stuff and has a lumberyard. They'll have concrete footer tubes for pouring deck footers. 8"-diameter runs about $6-$7 for a four-foot length, 10" around $10. You can put a lot of veg tan in one of those, and they won't collapse under the weight of the leather.

Tubes? Go to the hardware store that sells cement stuff and has a lumberyard. They'll have concrete footer tubes for pouring deck footers. 8"-diameter runs about $6-$7 for a four-foot length, 10" around $10. You can put a lot of veg tan in one of those, and they won't collapse under the weight of the leather.

only problem with those sonatubes is most are coated with some kind of waxy coat which would probably rub off on the leather

Hmm, the ones I get from my local place have a nearly plastic-looking/feeling coating that doesn't rub off. Or I suppose you could line them with heavy craft paper.

I've read in a few places that it was wax, but don't know for sure. Winterbear, what is your personal experience with using sonitube? I like your paper idea.

I'm hearing similar stories of ventures into the vast realm of leatherwork. At first I think a got in too deep, spent a lot of money all because I bought a used saddle and started tweaking it.

I'd like to say my workspace was neat and tidy all the time, but my bedroom is all I can come up with for now. No pictures necessary, it's shameful...

I'm actually headed back to the craft store today, don't quite have what I need and I'm not interested in 'making do' when commissioned to make something for a Christmas gift. Better get cracking!

God bless!

That's the story of my life, I seam to have ADD with occasional bouts of OCD. I get out every toy in my toy box and drop them where I finish with them until I don't have any room left to play, then I organize them until everything has a place, and everything is in it's place. Once it is all pretty I go get more toys and start all over.

That's the story of my life, I seam to have ADD with occasional bouts of OCD. I get out every toy in my toy box and drop them where I finish with them until I don't have any room left to play, then I organize them until everything has a place, and everything is in it's place. Once it is all pretty I go get more toys and start all over.

Nahhhhh, . . . that's not ADD or OCD or any other alphabetically concocted malady, . . . it is indeed "condition normal".

Or at least it is in my family, . . . all my brothers & sisters (5 bros / 4 sisters), . . . my wifes family (5 sisters / 3 bros), . . . mom's family (4 sisters / 3 bros).

I would go out the door a screaming bonkers whooooo-dooooooo if "normal" was putting everything back in it's place as soon as I'm done with it, . . . OR, . . . if there was no "place" and everything just always got left where it was last used.

Right now I'm a bit overwhelmed, myself, with "where is it", . . . as we have been building our carport / garage / leather shop for the past 16 months, . . . and the "putting stuff away" has kinda not been done, . . . but it will be.

Either I'll do it, . . . or just before the estate sale, . . . my executor will see it's done, . . . after I'm ground temperature. And I don't get all wrapped around the axle worrying about which way it will turn out.

May God bless,

Dwight