thefanninator

February Keep Making Stuff Challenge

This photo looks more like the bag we used while in the military. We called them shaving kits.

Their extremely useful for many things and long lasting, especially with a zippered top.

It used to be - you could see them everywhere, now ? not so much, ???

I think karina's idea for canvas bags has merit, I'll try to keep that idea in mind.

Good luck to both of you ! Wild Bill46

Thanks for the resources, Karina. That waxed canvas is awesome, and it's significantly less expensive than leather, even pre-waxed. I'll have to think of ways to use it. How do you think the canvas by itself would be as a liner? I've been thinking about what to use, but I guess I should get some fabric samples from somewhere.

Thanks for the resources, Karina. That waxed canvas is awesome, and it's significantly less expensive than leather, even pre-waxed. I'll have to think of ways to use it. How do you think the canvas by itself would be as a liner? I've been thinking about what to use, but I guess I should get some fabric samples from somewhere.

Choosing the correct lining has always been an issue for me. I constantly question my choices over and over. I had been to Hancock fabrics several times last week alone because I was not happy with the choices I made. I think I may need to hang out in a few sewing forums to see what the more experienced sewers suggest.

As for samples, fabric.com will sell you swatches for $1.75 each, but I actually prefer to just go into a fabric store and touch the fabric before I buy. Also Big Duck Canvas will send you free samples of their canvas. This is a Heavy duck, not like the stuff you can get from Joann's or Hobby Lobby.

Karina

Speaking of waxed canvas; where are you guys sourcing your material from? I know of these guys: http://www.fairfieldtextile.com/fabrics.html

That's the same shop I linked to in my post a few posts up, and that is the only place I know of right now that sells waxed cotton. (If anyone has another source, please share :) ) I am waxing my own canvas myself at the moment . The recipe I am using is said to be the same as Greeland Wax.

There are tons of videos on Youtube of users making and using this and it works great. Another brand to wax the canvas yourself is Otter Wax.

Karina

Ah, didn't see your link. How does the canvas turn out when you wax it yourself?

That's the same shop I linked to in my post a few posts up, and that is the only place I know of right now that sells waxed cotton. (If anyone has another source, please share :) ) I am waxing my own canvas myself at the moment . The recipe I am using is said to be the same as Greeland Wax.

There are tons of videos on Youtube of users making and using this and it works great. Another brand to wax the canvas yourself is Otter Wax.

Karina

Ah, didn't see your link. How does the canvas turn out when you wax it yourself?

Hey Mat, It is waterproof and looks just a good as the pre-waxed canvas.

Karina

i posted photos of my doop kit project. however they ended up on the front page instead of this one. need advice on posting on this page. sorry

When you reply to this topic click on More Reply Options lower right corner. You can load your photos by clicking Choose Files under Attach files.

post-38967-0-84712000-1424404870_thumb.jpost-38967-0-83631900-1424404877_thumb.jpost-38967-0-11850400-1424404885_thumb.jpost-38967-0-25577700-1424404894_thumb.jpost-38967-0-63062400-1424404902_thumb.j

This dopp kit is made of a piece of w/c belly leather. 8-9 oz so a little heavy. had to scarp out the corners to get everythig to fold correctly. stair step braid holds it all together.

Thank you to: Double C, Monica Jackobson and Chris for helping me get these photos in the correct post.

I've never seen that braid before, interesting variation. Your construction looks nice and solid. I think the thicker leather, while harder to deal with, looks more solid and veg tanned-ish. My husband prefers thicker, boxier leathers, for example.

I just found this forum\topic and I would like to join in starting next month. This is a great idea.

Looks great Cardinal, good solid construction, and smooth lines.

All the nice work I see on here kinda makes me not want to show what I have cobbled together...

Edited by Charliewz

Thanks Charliewz, I do mostly straps so this was an interesting project. Put yours up here when you finish it. It is always great to see the different spins that come out of a project.

ditto cl - kwelna, there's still time this month!

I went ahead and put a Sam Browne stud closure on mine, took some lousy photos and the whole thing is just mush. It doesn't hold it's shape and is hard to close. I'm currently unstitching it and will line it to stiffen it a up a little more. Hope I don't waste the goatskin lining.

Edited by thefanninator

At least it's large enough that you could theoretically take it apart again re-use the leather.... or not. You could make an armored (and very difficult to sew) version with that whole caiman hide you have. ;) It would be extreme.

Yeah, I thought about just posting the photos to show that I completed the month's project and then taking it apart to make something else... I'm pretty much out of alligator. The one I had was pretty small.

Got mine done, somewhat. Learned a lot doing this, don't try to dye thread with hi-liter it doesn't soak in. If you have access to a pattern print it off! I just went by the dimensions and made a bunch of mistakes. Wasn't planning on tooling this, but I had L shaped mark on it from marking it wrong, caught it before cutting but was left with marks so got a craft-aid from Tandy and tried tooling. I added the butterfly and the lines to cover marks on the leather. Would have been a lot easier to do it right from the start.

Then I riveted the loop on the flap for some odd reason! Have to remember to take my time. I need patience, and need it NOW! So now I have to remove the rivets and put the loop on the case. EccoWeld contact cement is way easier to use than Tanners Bond and the smell is non-existent. Fortunately Tandy let me return a quart of Tanners Bond and buy the EccoWeld, Byron the manager is very easy to deal with.

7-8 oz. leather, copper rivets, antique saddle tan, deerskin lining that I Super Shened, Super Shene and Aussie finish. Seems to stay closed fine.

Charlie

post-24960-0-02645100-1424556227_thumb.j

post-24960-0-42264700-1424556416_thumb.j

post-24960-0-19286100-1424556527_thumb.j

post-24960-0-43118300-1424556864_thumb.j

Edited by Charliewz

Cool, I like how you left some space untooled. Looks like you got a little messy with the glue inside...

Good job, thanks for playing.

Nice, Charlie, yours is seriously ambitious. I like the tooling, and I like the handle. I want to add one to mine.

Seriously nice ! The space blank left, that is not tooled, makes your design. --- Wild Bill46

Good looking case Charlie. Don't you just love it when a project goes south and you have to go into salvage mode?