Cthomas1998

Want To Change To Presser Foot Lift Pedal From Knee Lift On Consew 206Rb5

Good Afternoon,

On my Consew 206 RB5, I really can't stand the knee lift for the presser foot. I want to change it to the chain/pedal type. There is a hole in the casting for a chain, and the mechanism is accessible, I just don't know where I can buy a pedal assembly. Does anyone have a supplier they can recommend for that part?

Thanks,post-53050-0-26716100-1424718828_thumb.j

Chris

Do you have a picture of how this works? I hate the knee lift on my 206rb. And would appreciate knowing if I can do this.

Go to Tractor Supply or any ones hardware store and buy the right size barn door hinge to fit your boot and some of the appropriate chain size. Make your own. Have fun.

Check out the attached, this is one way to do it for sure, and in your case, this is the easiest with fewest parts. Remove the bell crank for the knee lifter, you can see where the two screws are located. Attach a chain to the pull rod, in this case we drilled a cotter pin and put a washer on it so it does not slip off. Attach a foot pedal to the bottom brace, and you have a presser foot lifter foot pedal. Hope this helps.

post-14272-0-28258000-1437053329_thumb.j

Gregg,

Thank you much. I hate the knee lift. I will find myself a foot pedal. I appreciate your time for doing this.

Gene

That's what I was going to say. Was trying to get some pictures taken, but Thank You Gregg for stepping in !!

Gregg,

Thank you much. I hate the knee lift. I will find myself a foot pedal. I appreciate your time for doing this.

Gene

Seems like many of our auto trimmers hate the knee lifter, but like and prefer the presser foot lifter. I could never figure out why, maybe preference, maybe something I'm missing.

Gregg,

For me it just seems so much more natural to press a pedal with the motion of my foot, rather than an unnatural motion of my knee. Or it has been suggested in the past by many. I just ain't right. LOL. Either way I will be much happied due to your assistance.

I never use the knee lever because I am too tall for the geometry of my table. I have my reverse on a foot pedal, but sometimes I screw that up because I try to feather the reverse pedal, which makes the machine sew in place.

Edited by Colt W Knight

On my Singer 111 I´ve been playing around with 2 different knee lifters and a foot pedal and ended with just a longer lifting lever on my machine. This so sar works best for me. I took a lever of a Singer 211 which is longer than the standard Singer lever.

post-31854-0-12947200-1437289039_thumb.j

On my Singer 111 I´ve been playing around with 2 different knee lifters and a foot pedal and ended with just a longer lifting lever on my machine. This so sar works best for me. I took a lever of a Singer 211 which is longer than the standard Singer lever.

Hooking up a presser foot lifter for a 111W is a bit different, but just as easy, granted you know what parts you will need. All parts shown are identical and the same for a Singer 153W and Consew 227 models, to name a few. All parts shown are necessary for this to work, including the counter spring.

post-14272-0-85471900-1437399690_thumb.j

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Hi Gregg - I know, I have tried a long 1 piece lever from a Consew and the 2 piece lever from Singer but and I have tried 2 knee lifter and a pedal. All worked technically okay but for me it is more logical and more practical to use the ordinary hand lifter and the long one from a Singer 211 performs much better that the short OEM one. Just my experience.

Hi Gregg - I know, I have tried a long 1 piece lever from a Consew and the 2 piece lever from Singer but and I have tried 2 knee lifter and a pedal. All worked technically okay but for me it is more logical and more practical to use the ordinary hand lifter and the long one from a Singer 211 performs much better that the short OEM one. Just my experience.

Right, the only problem there for some folks is that the knee/foot lifter is always going to give you that extra presser foot clearance that may be necessary. If setup correctly, this lift can be certainly enough to make a difference. I guess it depends on your work. BTW, the Singer 211 style hand lifter is a lot better than the standard 111W style. It give more leverage, and is a lot easier to locate by feel by hand.

Right - thats why I installed it. I have about 10mm foot lift by hand but due to the longer lever I can "feather" it about 2mm more so for me it´s perfect.

The 211 lever is a spare part every Singer 111 or clone owner should switch to - parts # is 508309.

But they are hard to find as spare parts but maybe you have some floating around ;)

Thanks for writing all this...got a 143w1 recently with both a knee lift AND the foot pedal installed, but the chain is off the foot pedal and I'm not sure how to attach it to get the motion that I want! The knee lift works fine, but might like the other better.   Also have a 111w and will look for that part number someone mentioned to extend the presser arm...! Great forum, thanks for all the contributions!

Great thread. 

Is is there a such thing as a knee lift extender? Like a longer bar? I have mine moved over as far as it will go but it's still too close. It inhibits me from sitting smack dab in front of my post bed roller machine and I have to lean to the right, which kills my back. 

I I like my lifter, but it needs to move so I can see comfortably, and not accidentally hit it etc.. Any links/suggestions?? 

MG513,  on my machine the bar is L shaped and was able to be removed and put in from opposite side, and then re-adjusting the knee bumper worked .

good day

Floyd

11 minutes ago, brmax said:

MG513,  on my machine the bar is L shaped and was able to be removed and put in from opposite side, and then re-adjusting the knee bumper worked .

good day

Floyd

WHOA!!!! Mine is L shaped too! What a great idea! Thx so much for the quick response!!

im not sure if my pad has a bolt on the end of it or if it can be turned around like you've suggested but I will surely find out. Thx a lot! 

On 10/22/2016 at 11:30 AM, MG513 said:

Great thread. 

Is is there a such thing as a knee lift extender? Like a longer bar? I have mine moved over as far as it will go but it's still too close. It inhibits me from sitting smack dab in front of my post bed roller machine and I have to lean to the right, which kills my back. 

I I like my lifter, but it needs to move so I can see comfortably, and not accidentally hit it etc.. Any links/suggestions?? 

Can you post a pic of your setup?  I like working in these type of things.

58 minutes ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

Yes Gregg! I will soon as I get in from work. 

Ps: do you sell any Teflon or "roller" style feet for a consew 206 rb? I have the traditional leather foot with teeth, but I can't "see" what I'm sewing. I'd like to use my flat bed for sewing certain parts of my shoe uppers, but I need a different foot option. Any suggestions/pics on that?? 

8 hours ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

Ok so here u can see I have turned around as suggested up above. The issue I'm having now is, there is too much "slack". So basically, I got it moved out of my way so I can sit in front of my machine, but now when I swing my leg out, it makes contact, but I really have to swing my leg to the right to get it too lift. 

I figure I could add some extra padding, but then that puts its right back in my way again. I feel like I need the thingy (no clue what it's called) under to make more immediate contact when I press it, instead of there being so much "give". I tried adjusting it but the whole wasn't big enough. 

image.jpg

Another angle... 

image.jpg

These knee lifters are a total pain to install correctly, and I've installed a lot of them.

They either want to hit the drip pan, hit the bell crank off the roller, all kinds of stuff.  It's not fun to be stuck up under the stand to make these adjustments the way you need to on the machine.

See attached, make sure that we have the knee lifter bracket "A" arms mounted in such a way so that it engages the bell crank on the machine head correctly.  Also, pay close attention to the bend on the "Lifting Rod", see attached image, that pushes the machine's bell crank, we usually like to bend these in a vice close to a a 90 degree.  

It's really a see touch feel thing, but I think if you check the A arm alignment this may help a lot here.  Hope this helps.

206_style_knee_lift.jpg

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing