Keith J

Fur Hat

Gents:
I'm having a problem with a "mountain man" type hat design. I've worked leather, but nothing with fur and never a hat. Here's the rub: I've got two craft grade badger hides...not the best quality, but what I can afford. I want to turn them into a hat. I'm worried that after I cut and sew that it won't turn out how I'd like it to. I know I could just cut a strip and sew a circle on top but that's what I'm worried about. I don't want it to turn out looking like one of my mom's old pill box hats and think that's what it would like. I've got that more rounded look in mind but can't for the life of me come up with a way to achieve it. Any...and I do mean any...suggestions would be useful. I've been sitting on this project for a while since I don't want to mess the hides up...but it is time to start cutting. Just not sure how. Help.

Keith J.

It might be helpful to find some pics of what you want to achieve and post them on here. It would be much easier to help you then.

Bill

I'd get one of those foam mannequin heads from a craft store and experiment with fabric laid out on it first, that way you can roughly see how it will shape up.

I'd get one of those foam mannequin heads from a craft store and experiment with fabric laid out on it first, that way you can roughly see how it will shape up.

This is a good idea but be aware that they are smaller than most real heads.

DUH...Yeah, I guess if you're describing something a picture would be the most useful thing. Pardon my inability to think...which is probably why I'm having this problem in the first place. I realize mine woun't be this nice, but something similar would be good. My compliments to the fellow that did this one, outstanding.

fd88ab485895379dc77037dfccc7ad20.jpg

If you do a search (google) for Mountain Man hat pattern you will find several helpful sites. The possibles shop has some patterns run a bout $8.00 that might be helpful. http://possibleshop.com/pattern-acc-ev.html There is an indestructible and several other sites that give information on making a mountain man hat from different furs. I have not looked yet but you might check Crazy Crow they may have patterns for fur hats also. Here is a video on making a coon skin hat that may be helpful. http://www.kewego.com/video/iLyROoafJqXM.html If you do a search on you tube you will find some others that may be of help. Here is a pattern pack from Crazy Crow the pack has several options for style of hat. http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CCTP&Product_Code=4799-500-012&Category_Code=610-000-000

Edited by camano ridge

I've checked the web and gotten some great pics of other hats. I do own at least one of the patterns mentioned, and it's just what I'm not looking for (strip of hide with a cricle sewn on top). Likewise I've seen the video and it describes pretty much the same method.

I think my problem is going to be the hides themselves. Because I don't have a couple of hundred bucks invested in the hides, they aren't top quality. The fur isn't as full as on most hats that I've seen. I think the "bushiness" of the fur might be what gives a simple "strip and circle" type construction its fullness. Giving it a more rounded look as opposed to that sort of bellhop look I'm worried I might get.

On the other hand, some of the hats seem to have an actual different configuration in the way they look. For instance, the one I posted seems a bit higher in the front, so I assume (never good to do) that it is cut different. I just can't seem to get a grip on the actual shape of the hide(s) as they are cut and placed together. I'm starting to think I might just go with the simplest thing (strip and cricle) and see what happens. Just hate to waste the hides if it turns out looking really bad. Suppose I could use the pieces for accents on bags if that happens.

Camano is speaking of the Free Tapper hat pattern. It's a good and have used it myself. The photo you posted is that type of hat.

The one I mention in my PM is different but typical of the mountain man.

Jim

Here is another style of trapper hat. it basically made with for arched triangles. You can add on ear flaps and even a fold up bill. They can be made of all fur or suede and fur. some of the originals were lined with material, with the fur sew on to the material. http://explore-build-do.blogspot.com/2012/10/sewing-beaver-fox-and-lynx-alaskan.html

Ah, found a photo. This is the style I was talking about in the PM. If your interested, I'll dig out the drawings I have and add some text and post it for you.

Yeah, that's me back when I was younger and had all my hair.

Jim

post-141-0-55871800-1428011536_thumb.jpg

That's a cool hat Jim.

I'm thinking I might need a new hat for next winter :)

Dan

Ah, found a photo. This is the style I was talking about in the PM. If your interested, I'll dig out the drawings I have and add some text and post it for you.

Jim

That's pretty cool. I've been thinking about doing that style with coyote

The free trapper pattern is actually the one that I have. But, the picture Jim included has given me an idea. It would appear that the hide has simply been brought forward from the back of the head, meets in the front and is covered by the badger face. A single one of my hides might not be big enough to do that, but I might be able to work something out by stitching the two together in some way. I think making a "muslin" of this would be a good way to start, cheaper to mess up fabric remnants that hide.

You folks have been very helpful. Given my schedule this is going to be a multi-week project but all of you have given me some good ideas. Thanks very much for all you help. It is sincerely appreciated. If you think of anything else, keep the comments coming.

The free trapper pattern is actually the one that I have. But, the picture Jim included has given me an idea. It would appear that the hide has simply been brought forward from the back of the head, meets in the front and is covered by the badger face. A single one of my hides might not be big enough to do that, but I might be able to work something out by stitching the two together in some way. I think making a "muslin" of this would be a good way to start, cheaper to mess up fabric remnants that hide.

You folks have been very helpful. Given my schedule this is going to be a multi-week project but all of you have given me some good ideas. Thanks very much for all you help. It is sincerely appreciated. If you think of anything else, keep the comments coming.

Jim

Hey, Jim, . . . nobody else may be interested, . . . but I am. If you have the time, I'd love to see how that one is put together, . . . fact is, . . . I've even got a hide in mind that should work pretty good for it.

Thanks, may God bless,

Dwight

Keith hit the nail on the head as to how that hat went together. It's a very simple method. The hat also has a blanket wool liner that keeps it on the head.

I'll try to find the drawings or make some new ones.

Jim

Jim, if you wouldn't mind, I would be very interested in your drawings as well.

Well folks I have to sadly say the drawings have been lost to the wind and being 20 years ago when I did these, my memory is faded a bit.

That being said, I figured this stuff on the fly and you can do it as well.

Step one is to get the foam head from a craft shop and enlarge the size by either wrapping it with a towel or laying the towels over it to better size it to you head.

Place the critters fur on the foam head FUR SIDE DOWN and the pinch up the areas necessary to form it to the head. These "pleats" can then be held with clothes pins or spring clips.

Once the "inverted" fur is fitted to your liking, mark the lower edges of the pleats on both sides, leaving room for the stitching. A little extra can't hurt, you can always trim it off. When the fur is laid out flat, these pleats will be triangular shaped.

Cut out the excess and then starting at the "V", use a whip stitch to sew it out to the edge.

With a little effort and fore thought, this process will not be complicated.

Hope this helps.

Jim