OLDNSLOW

Consew 206Rb

I bought a consew but will not get it for a few weeks as it is Cali and have to get it prepped for shipping but, I will want to get a new servo drive motor and will I need to get a new pulley for it to slow it down? Also where is the best price for needles, bobbins, thread, and while I am at the largest needle that it will run. This is all a new venture for me, I ad thought about nylon web tactical belt making but also want to make leather belts and holsters.

Thanks in advance for your input and thoughts.

OnS

First: I think you are going to have problem making some/maybe a lot of the style holsters needed on the 206 RB unless it is totally different than my 206RB-5

They use a large bobbin, will sew nicely with 138 thread and "chug" with 207. Thickness of leather tops out at about 3/8" although I have done close to 1/2". I have used 23 and 24 size needles but don't like that big hole they make.

Contact Bob Kovar at Toledo Industrial Machine for your needs.

ferg

Think you'll find that a #23 needle and 207 thread is the upper limit there. Still, that covers a LOT of ground.

THREAD

I like the bonded nylon, but some swear by the polyester. :dunno:

NEEDLES, BOBBINS, AND BOBBIN CASES

These folks have EVERYthing in one place. Good service and good timing. You'll want 135x16 needles (or 135x17 perhaps for the webbing). And I suggest you pick up a few bobbin cases -- save you some time n trouble when switching threads. Just pop out the whole bobbin case, pop in the one you want, and off you go.

i use a 20 needle for 207 thread

Thanks guys this the type of info I was after great stuff many thanks.

OnS

My 206RB-1 tops out at #22 needle and 138 thread. I can't get it to work right with 207. Its hell on wheels with 138 though, and I can sew up to 3/8" without any problems. It is a really great machine.

I got my servo for my 206, needles, and thread from bob kovar at toledo.

Thanks all for the info, Colt what are some of the items that you can sew with yours, as well as the others what are some of the types of things you find you can do with your machine.

I have a "funny" answer.

I sew dungaree hems for shortened legs, veg tan leather, kangaroo, oil tanned, kid skin, I could go on. I really haven't found much the Consew cannot sew.

But! You have to practice and learn everything you can about your machine/machines. Then most of the time it is smooth sewing.

ferg

OldNSlow;

The Consew 206 is an upholstery grade machine. It was never designed with leather craft in mind. Upholsterers typically max out with #138 thread. This goes into everything four layers thick, like motorcycle seats, leather couch cushions and things made with outdoor vinyl and tents. It is too thick for simple folded seams on signs, awnings and marine seat cushions, where #69 or 92 thread is the tops.

Along comes a surge in leathercrafters wanting to sew their projects and a walking foot machine used in an upholstery shop looks like the machine to end all machines. But, it ain't. So, what do I sew on my walking foot machine?

I sew patches onto vests and jackets (where no pockets need to be left open), install new zippers in jackets, hem pants and leather skirts, sew and hem chaps, sew phone cases, sew bling belts, minor upholstery work, thinner rifle slings and guitar straps, money belts and miscellaneous items that can be sewn inside out along the seams.

My walking foot machine is set up with #92 thread. When I hem jeans I switch to #80 jeans thread. It is usually fitted with a #19 or #20 leather point, titanium coated needle. Every once is a while I thread it with #138 thread and use a #23 leather point, titanium coated needle. I never sew holsters on that machine, nor soft thin linings. I have better machines for those bookends.

Thanks for all the responses, Wix this is the only machine I could afford at the moment and from what I understand it will do ok with double weight for a gun belt. If it is such that I have to hand sew a holster so be it, but for starting out I was hoping this would work until I can score a good deal on another machine that can handle holsters. but again thanks to all for the input.

Thanks for all the responses, Wix this is the only machine I could afford at the moment and from what I understand it will do ok with double weight for a gun belt. If it is such that I have to hand sew a holster so be it, but for starting out I was hoping this would work until I can score a good deal on another machine that can handle holsters. but again thanks to all for the input.

If you want to sew double leather gun belts that are between 14 and 16 ounces thick, you should be using #277 thread (and a #25 needle). Unfortunately, your machine can't handle that size of thread. Your alternative is to sew two parallel rows of #138 thread (#23 needle) along the edges, 1/8 to 3/16 inch apart. Five stitches per inch is probably best. Make sure you use the same size in the bobbin, as you are already at a fairly low protection level with #138 thread.

FWIIW: I did this on my previous National 300N walking foot machine until I got a real leather stitcher. One does what one must do.

Thanks all for the info, Colt what are some of the items that you can sew with yours, as well as the others what are some of the types of things you find you can do with your machine.

I sew whatever I can fit between the presser foot. MOstly guitar straps, belts, pad folios and gps tracking collars for cattle

As has been said before, the 206 really isn't a holster machine. It doesn't have enough capacity or take big enough thread. However, you do what you got to do. When I make holsters, I sew the linings on, and when I sew the two halves together, I hand stitch that part.

Gunbelt2_zpscbf2d788.jpg

bryan%20kimsey%20strap%202%201%20of%201_

PA%20strap%203%201%20of%201_zpsdeja3usv.

dad%20gb2_zpswm8qkzcu.jpg

DR%20Strap%203_zpsazmfynge.jpg

20150413_095039_zpsj7wxbx0c.jpg

Use to take me 4-6 hours to hand stitch a guitar strap or padfolio. Sewing machine takes less than 10 minutes. And my hands don't hurt afterwards. One of these days ill get a 441 clone for big stuff like nice double lined holsters and saddles.