dikman

Pfaff 335-17Bl

That's a monster of a pulley! I want something similar, but light - in Aluminum. Maybe casting my own.

Love me a good hack! It seems like a viable alternative to pricey speed reducers which I can't bring myself to spend $130+ on.

Amazon has nice 1/2-inch bore 8-inch OD TB Woods cast iron pulleys for around $50 shipped to provide a bit of flywheel punching oomph or lighter aluminum pulleys for around $30. I've used TB Woods pulley on a few occasions before and they're very nice quality and nicely finished.

My Consew 225 has a 1/2 inch shaft and just over 3" pulley on the hand wheel. An 8-inch pulley would slow things down significantly. With a nice powder coat finish, even the aluminum one might look pretty enough to not be embarrassed about it. I'm so tempted to give this a try. Can't really think of a reason not to.

The beauty of this is that there's no hassles trying to mount a speed reducer and line up the belts. The servo motor's pulley is less than 2", so this combo gives me lots of low end grunt. So far the Pfaff seems to love it. I figure if it's good enough for some of the bigger machines to have a large pulley, it's good enough for the little Pfaff! All it cost me was $12 for a bigger belt.

I just wish I could do the same to the Singer 166, but I can't, so I'm in the process of making a speed reducer (I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to mount it).

The simplicity of this approach is compelling indeed. This ebay seller has a nice selection of zink die cast pulleys all in one place in his listing: http://r.ebay.com/qtGSU9

Edited by Uwe

Nice choice of pulleys, unfortunately for me the price of shipping ($85!!!) is a minor problem. The largest I found out of China is a 120mm (free shipping), so I figured mounting that on a shaft with a 45 mm should give me some speed reduction and coupled with a servo with another 45 mm on it will give the Singer a bit more low end grunt. It's not too bad now, but it won't do any harm to fit the reducer.

What is the max stitch lenght on the pfaff 335 H3?

I want to get one for binding work on leather and canvas.

We need to see a pic of the stitch lever and plate behind it.  Pfaff 335 machines have had maximum stitch lengths from 3mm to 6mm depending on when they were made and the sub class.  The ones produce today have a maximum stitch length of 6mm.

glenn

One last pic from the lever. I believe the length is quite small on this machine. Is it possible to increase the length by change the silver plate behind the black lever?

tmp_6655-2016-12-08 23.11.33358620002.jpg

Your lever slot looks pretty small compared to mine. I spent some time trying to figure out how to get a longer stitch length but there's no internal adjustment. I did squeeze a bit over 1/2 a stitch extra by filing down the bottom of the silver plate that the adjusting lever moves in. I noticed that the plate was stopping the lever a bit above the cutout in the body, so by filing it down the lever could go all the way to the bottom of the slot.

In your case, take off the silver cover and try the lever without it, that will tell you if it will give you any more travel.

quite tiny picture but seems someone put an odd plate behind the stitch length lever. Remove the stitch length lever knob then remove the plate and put back on the the knob. Thats at least what I would try. The knob looks a bit odd too but cannot see details very well.

What helped in my case (Pfaff 335-17B H2L old casting) improving stitch length with about 1 mm: we made an adjustment changing the setting of the lift of the inner walking foot (noticed it was not lifting properly) But maybe mine had this problem and it's a particular case. 

Anyway I think it is better to check the entire machine timing because other adjustments could be out as well. Didn't yet remove the plate behind the stitch adjustment lever.

Edited by gigi

This is a special 335 subclass.  According to the model plate,    #335-H3-734/01-6/01-921/01-BS

-H3  means regular maximum lift of 11mm

- 6/01 should be the standard model as to the feed  dog and feet.

-B means a B subclass which is on the lighter side of what it can sew plus a smaller balance wheel.   C and D class are heavier and a larger balance wheel

-S means for sewing cloth

-734/01    not sure on this designation but the extra little lever to the left of the stitch length lever I think allows you to change the upper feed in relation to the lower feed dog

-921/01   again, not sure on this designation

Like Constabulary said, I would remove the stitch length lever and the back plate, then replace the lever and wee what you got.  The stitch should be longer then That lever comes out with a set screw.  You need a long screw driver coming up from the bottom to retighten the set screw.  Generic stitch length plates can be ordered to replace the existing one and they are not real expensive here in the States.  Australia, maybe.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher
grammar spelling

Your machine may, at some point, have been set up for small operations using a special throat plate with a small opening and a very small feed dog like this: IMG_6837.jpg

This particular gauge set allows a maximum stitch length of about 3mm. If you want to prevent the operator from accidentally dialing in a larger stitch length that would damage parts, it makes sense to install a special cover plate that limits the movement of the stitch length lever. 

Does anybody have the service manual for the old casting Pfaff 335? I can't find it anywhere. My needle came out alignment and needs to be re-centered on the feed dog hole. If you know how to make this adjustment please help!!

Best,

Matt

Also a link to a service manual may be found in this topic (linked by Uwe)

Please start a new topic for your Necchi when you get it.

Anyone know the max stitch length an old Pfaff 337-734/01 2/21-921/01 900/51 BS N 36 is supposed to be able to do? It seems I can only get 3mm max and would like it to be closer to 5mm? Is there a way to adjust it or is that the limit of the old Pfaff 337-734?

Thanks,

Billy   

stitch_arm.JPG

model.JPG

The modern version of the Pfaff 337 lists a max stitch length of 3mm of the lower feed dog and 6mm of the upper feeding foot. The english version of the manual is plain wrong  - the German version talks about 3mm lower and 6mm upper fabric transport. There is only one feed dog. The upper feed can be adjusted smaller to match the feed dog at 3mm max., but you can't adjust the feed dog feed movement up to match the upper maximum feed of 6mm. You could, theoretically, remove the feed dog and only use upper feed, but that's unlike to give satisfactory results.

Your type plate also shows "BS N 36". The "S" simply indicates fabric (Stoff). I doubt they ever made a leather version of this sleeve setter.

Here's the english (wrong) spec page:

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 12.23.01 PM.png

Here's the original German spec page:

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 12.30.27 PM.png

Don't be afraid to start a new topic. This Pfaff 337 info doesn't really belong in a topic about the Pfaff 335.

Edited by Uwe

Thanks Uwe and I wasn't thinking when I posted under the 335 post. However during lunch I was able to find your post that had the pdf for An Introduction to the Pfaff Numbering System which I wish I had found a few weeks ago! :) It has a lot of the answers I have tried to find over the past few weeks. I think the 337 will be ok for now for what I'm wanting to do with it and if I come across a 335 I'll know what to look for. 

Billy

On 1/12/2017 at 9:02 PM, leatherdog said:

i have both the service manual and the parts list -  see attached

pfaff 335 old casting parts.pdf

pfaff 335 parts.pdf

the service manual is too large to attach.  if you send me a message with your email address enclosed, i can send the service manual

peter

Hello Peter / "leatherdog"

I live in Germany in Kaiserslautern - actually the city where my vintage Pfaff 335  (model: 335- 132B H2S, Serial# 4  853051) where manufactured in the year 1954 -  in order to understand my machine better and i am able to do some adjustments and updates - I would be very happy to ready your pfaff 335 old casting parts.pdf    pfaff 335 parts.pdf and the service manual . Please send me these pdf files

- Unfortunately the famous Pfaff company is no longer existing,  all  buildings are teared down  and the whole former company area is today under re-construction ... I still remember that around the 1980 about 8000 people where employed by Pfaff ... .
I bought my  machine a few years ago via ebay...

THANKS for all efforts!

best regards
Helmut