I have only posted once on here but I figured that I would try to start doing it more often whenever I finish projects. Here are some pictures of the most recent belt that I finished. I had a lot of issues with this one, I'm not sure if it was because I tried a new adhesive or if it was the oil dye that I used. It turned out okay but it's not my best work.

post-59550-0-21036400-1445802012_thumb.j

post-59550-0-55631700-1445802013_thumb.j

Also, I am aware that the rivets are crooked. :(

Overall it looks great. Looks like the tri-fold stamp lines up in each direction (something a lot of folks have issues with) and your letters are all in line however on the second pic, it looks like the C and S are farther away from the rest of CHAOS then the rest of the letters are.

When doing rivets, I will mark one then use a tri-square to line up the other one so I get them straight.

I like it. Looks great.

Also, I am aware that the rivets are crooked. :(

Templates are your friend when punching holes. Make one out of cardboard (or leather), then punch your holes through it, they will be exactly in the correct spot that way.

Edited by electrathon

Looks good…...

I have done guitar straps with that stamp, it is tricky to keep the tool lined up consistently.

Allan

Overall it looks great. Looks like the tri-fold stamp lines up in each direction (something a lot of folks have issues with) and your letters are all in line however on the second pic, it looks like the C and S are farther away from the rest of CHAOS then the rest of the letters are.

When doing rivets, I will mark one then use a tri-square to line up the other one so I get them straight.

I noticed that, too. Usually when I use the lettering stamps I just set them in a straight line, flush next to one another. It's just the way that the C and the S happen to be when they are next to each other. This was actually the third belt that I had stamped (I didn't like the first two). I figured it was such a tiny error that nobody would really notice in person (minus us leather crafters!).

The rivets were crooked just from the way I set them, I don't have an anvil and just use a multi-purpose snap/rivet setter tool. The holes were straight but when I tapped the pieces together, that one came out crooked/bent :-/

that's why I don't use the edges to line up my letters. I take a piece of cardboard and tape it to the leather then line up the edge of the letter itself with the edge of the cardboard, gives me a better fit and I can adjust the spacing by eye better

I like it, really nice. Boring with the crooked rivets. I did that with one of my first watch straps.

Maybe there are a few discrapencys here and there ?

The learning curve we all experience will no doubt take care of that in due corse,

But, advise we freely give, to help one another is a most valuable tool, and experience too !

Don't despair, Time,and hands on experiences are our friend ! I like your belt as is ! --- Wild Bill46

looks good, nice job.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

Rivets tend to bend if they are too long for the thickness of leathers to be joined. Try clipping/grinding off a little of the end of the rivets to that just a small length remains protruding through the hole. Then they won't "wander" so much when you set them.

Michelle