Boriqua

Removing Awl Blade

I have an awl blade I think I like but want to pull it out of the handle and use it in another handle I have with a screw down collet. Its a siewa that is embedded in what appears to be soft pine. Can I just clamp the blade between ? and yank at the handle?

Hate to ruin 15 bucks!

Alex

IF you can pull it straight and not twist of bend it at all it should come out. Personally Id take a coping saw and cut it out, just to be safe.

Clamp the awl blade in a vice, between lead sheeting to protect the blade, and carefully use two screwdrivers, one either side, to lever the handle away. It's a pretty safe bet that the blade is only driven in to the handle as a friction fit.

If lead is too soft to hold the blade (or you don't have any) try clamping it between two pennies. They always work for me. If they are too hard... split a piece of copper tubing and flatten it out for vice jaw guards.

Use a lighter (or other heat source) and heat the base of the blade for several seconds, then pull. I broke the tip on an Osborne and discovered that it was pressed AND glued. Don't worry about the heat on the blade - it won't damage the temper. You're only heating it up a little bit, and you'd need to get the steel several hundred degrees to change the hardness/tempering of it. If there's any glue, the heat should soften it. As far as what to use? Any of the above, but if you don't have a vice... I'd say a pair of pliers with taped jaws.

I like to come back and answer my own questions cause I figure I cant be the only one with the question. :)

So the awl was a Number 1 Seiwa. My cheapo caliper says it is 2mm at its widest, is a straight blade and it is absolutely perfect for when I use my .030 maine thread. The handle is a really cheap unfinished pine that is rough to the touch and the blade felt like it was flexing when I used it so I wanted to pull the blade out and use it in a sturdy awl haft I have. The blade itself wasnt flexing, it was that the wood is so soft it allowed a little movement of the blade which can make a person insane.

I taped up the jaws on my lineman plier with electric tape and had my wife pull on the handle while I held the pliers and to no avail. The teeth of the pliers cut through the tape and slightly marred the blade but I was able to polish it out. I tried putting leather between the jaws but couldnt get a good enough grip. I tried heating the base of the blade as was suggested in case it was glued but nothin'. The ferrule had already fallen off of its own a little while back so I took a wood chisel and put it to the handle with the grain and 2 whacks and I was able to split the handle.

When you get the awl only about 3/4 inch stick out of the top but its a long blade and its deeply embedded in the handle. I took a shot of it so you can see how deep down the blade goes. The blade has a significant notch near the bottom so I dont think pulling up and out is an option. You are only going to get the blade out if you split the handle.

Did my project with the blade in my awl haft and it was a dream! I like having an extra of things I really like so I may order another Seiwa #1 just to have the back up blade.

seiwa%20handle.JPG

Edited by Boriqua

Yeah, that's a LOT deeper set than most of the common awl blades (Tandy sized). Thanks for the update on what it took.

Good to hear you got it sorted to your satisfaction.

I would highly suggest the Seiwa #1 awl blade for finer work. My favorite go to awl is pointy and swells as it goes further up. If I want to sew with finer thread you can just use the tip but the thicker the material the further you have to insert the blade and the wider the hole gets on the face of your project.

On this particular project I was going through 4/5 oz, a layer of frog skin and out through a piece of 6/7. By the time I inserted my favorite awl through all that the hole in the front piece was too wide and didnt make for an attractive stitch using fine thread.

The Seiwa is straight. It will be 2mm at the front and back and everything in between. I highly recommend it but ...the handle is NOT good and does not inspire confidence.

Totally agreed on Seiwas. I have #1, #2, and #3, with #2 as my goto for 0.8mm polybraid, and usually for 1.0mm as well. The handles aren't the greatest ... I'm very tempted to cut mine apart now and fins something that's both a little sturdier and fits my hand a little better!

Bill