Tallbald

Contact Cement Ooze Removal. What's Your Best Solution?

When cementing belt blanks and such. despite my best efforts I occasionally get a little ooze that gets on the surface that shows. To date I've hit it with an alcohol soaked cloth and rubbed it out. Dye still though soaks in at a different rate at that spot. Any suggestions for a different approach? Thanks as always. Don.

I do the assembly and glueing after I have done the dye and sealed the surface.

At that point any glue that goes walkies can be easily rubbed off the sealed surface with fingertips once dry. It will get into the edges, but I trim those down and slick them up after the assembly.

Cheers!

I do the assembly and glueing after I have done the dye and sealed the surface.

At that point any glue that goes walkies can be easily rubbed off the sealed surface with fingertips once dry. It will get into the edges, but I trim those down and slick them up after the assembly.

Cheers!

+1

I used to have that problem too. Then I re-read the glue instructions for the cement (Weldwood) and it specified a thin layer on both pieces, which should be dry but tacky before bringing together. I started spreading the glue on with a pallette knife (or putty knife) and letting it dry out a bit more, and now when I put the pieces together, there is no squeeze out. Perhaps that might work with your cement, perhaps not, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Thank you. My trouble is this. I glue laminate two layers together for a belt blank. Although I am careful, and use an acid brush to spread the glue thinly on inner side of both halves, glue still at some spots may run over the edge a tiny and a bit down onto the wax paper I protect my bench with. It can creep onto the smooth face underneath at the edge. I won't see this until I lift blanks up to join the glued faces.

When I find the bit of glue, I have tried 1) wiping it away while still wet with an alcohol wetted pad and 2) letting it dry and scraping it off with a fingernail then a knife edge,

Stains and dyes still resist at this area. I was hoping to learn a better way to remove the glue remnant that accidentally wept on my show surface.

I have a good, efficient and material-saving method for crafting my belts and keeping prices affordable. I don't want to revamp my crafting sequence at this point, but rather hope to learn a different technique for glue spot removal. Just like a leather picture carver might need to remove a glue spot from an almost-finished project.

Thanks. Don

Thank you. My trouble is this. I glue laminate two layers together for a belt blank. Although I am careful, and use an acid brush to spread the glue thinly on inner side of both halves, glue still at some spots may run over the edge a tiny and a bit down onto the wax paper I protect my bench with. It can creep onto the smooth face underneath at the edge. I won't see this until I lift blanks up to join the glued faces.

When I find the bit of glue, I have tried 1) wiping it away while still wet with an alcohol wetted pad and 2) letting it dry and scraping it off with a fingernail then a knife edge,

Stains and dyes still resist at this area. I was hoping to learn a better way to remove the glue remnant that accidentally wept on my show surface.

I have a good, efficient and material-saving method for crafting my belts and keeping prices affordable. I don't want to revamp my crafting sequence at this point, but rather hope to learn a different technique for glue spot removal. Just like a leather picture carver might need to remove a glue spot from an almost-finished project.

Thanks. Don

You may want to try the Weldwood Gel formula, its not nearly as stringy and messy as original formula contact cements.

I switched over to that, and I don't make nearly the mess I used to

Thanks. Don

The cure for that is a belt sander, . . . $49.95 at harbor freight, . . . sand off about 1/64 of an inch on both edges.

1. You will then get a more professional looking belt.

2. You will NEVER have to worry about glue ever again......

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight is spot on. When it does happen to me, I use Laquer thinner to rub it off. As for not getting it on in the first place, I usually make the belt, or whatever, oversize by about 1/8", then after stitching, I trim off the excess, and use the sander. Gives you a nice, clean , edge to burnish.

Bob

When I was a kid starting out the main man in the shop was just plain mean but to get along you were supposed to laugh. The shop was in an old building that had been designed for touring cars with canvas tops to pull in so they could be worked on. Those were simpler times and one young buck rode his horse with new saddle on it into the shop and tied him so he could come in to the coffee pot. George poured Barges all ove rthe seat and needless to say somebody was upset. That new saddle was the pinnacle of his achievements in his young life and George had ruined it. After the crying and the threats died down, we counseled mr buckaroo to just chill and we would think of something. When the glue had thoroughly dried somebody walked up to the mess and just rubbed it off.

Sounds like you have all the answers you need but I will add one more. on the rare occasion that I have gotten some glue on the surface of a piece I just let it dry and then rub it off with my finger. I spray apply most of my dyes and I dont know if that makes a difference but I never noticed any discolouration. If glue is ozzing out of the edges when you attach the pieces then then the glue is going on to thick. I found a hair brush is far far and away better than the nylon acid brushes for applying glue.

Lastly ... I like to use the brown craft paper on my bench. Wax paper will hold whatever liquid you spill on it in a puddle. The brown paper absorbs it and takes it away. If I get over spray on brown paper its dry and not going to damage anything in minutes. If I do the same on wax paper it will still be there waiting to ruin one of my projects 30 minutes later. The brown paper I buy at the dollar store. Its 30 inches wide by 15 feet for a buck.

You can also use the same brand of thinner as the cement to remove residue left after rubbing. It takes a few minutes for the thinner to loosen it up. Then rub with some gum rubber to pull it out. You should be able to dye better after that.

When I was a kid starting out the main man in the shop was just plain mean but to get along you were supposed to laugh. The shop was in an old building that had been designed for touring cars with canvas tops to pull in so they could be worked on. Those were simpler times and one young buck rode his horse with new saddle on it into the shop and tied him so he could come in to the coffee pot. George poured Barges all ove rthe seat and needless to say somebody was upset. That new saddle was the pinnacle of his achievements in his young life and George had ruined it. After the crying and the threats died down, we counseled mr buckaroo to just chill and we would think of something. When the glue had thoroughly dried somebody walked up to the mess and just rubbed it off.

I may have taken a large metallic object to his head for that.

If that had been me, . . . before I was say, . . . 30, . . . the shop would have gotten swept out, . . . by me or by him, . . . one of us would have mopped up on the other one for sure.

I'm a little bit more mellow at 71 now, . . . but I would be awful tempted to, . . . uhh, . . . retaliate, . . . and a large metallic object sounds like a good prescription.

People like him just need a good head bustin every now and then to keep em in line.

May God bless,

Dwight

If that had been me, . . . before I was say, . . . 30, . . . the shop would have gotten swept out, . . . by me or by him, . . . one of us would have mopped up on the other one for sure.

I'm a little bit more mellow at 71 now, . . . but I would be awful tempted to, . . . uhh, . . . retaliate, . . . and a large metallic object sounds like a good prescription.

People like him just need a good head bustin every now and then to keep em in line.

May God bless,

Dwight

If more pastors were like you I might be tempted to go to church.........

His orneriness inspired creativity in the practical jokes department but now that you mention it, I'm not quite sure why he survived those years unscathed. I for one passed several things that might have resulted in severe retribution with just trying to figure out a way to one up him.

If you dye first, the glue will come off easier. Rub with a finger works. Sometimes I will use a Big Mistake eraser. If I glue natural leather, I use Oxalic Acid with a soft cloth. Wet the glue spot well and lightly rub. It dissolves. Be careful not to burnish the leather.

His orneriness inspired creativity in the practical jokes department but now that you mention it, I'm not quite sure why he survived those years unscathed. I for one passed several things that might have resulted in severe retribution with just trying to figure out a way to one up him.

My dad used to tell me my mouth would get me in trouble. Later I learned how to talk my way out of it.